Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Silicone Lube In Magazines?

shadetree

I was at work a while back and ran into a a service guy from the window manufacturer we us. He had some silicone lubricant. It's a spray that is not supposed to atrack crud and stays slick for a long time. I was wondering if anyone had tried this in magazines and if so how did it work?

i think most everyone does or has done what you've mentioned. :mellow: i apply it on the mag tube, in the mag tube, on the follower, on the spring, in the magwell of the gun, on the trigger guard, on the insiide of my holster, in my mag pouches....etc. this of course is done after cleaning and applied with a similarly treated cloth that is kept in a ziplock bag of some sort. the stuff works great with my blasters, my mags, and race rig! :wub: i heard that one of the shooters in my club also treats his ammo with the stuff too! :ph34r:

Shadetree,

I think that the bigggest issue is to avoid anything that will remain wet and attract/hold dirt. If you apply any type of a lubricant, wipe off the excess so that only a small (almost dry) amount remains. Otherwise, you will have to clean the magazines after each time they are dropped. I use the clean and dry approach and do not use any lubricant whatsoever. I had a friend that was a "Goodwrench" mechanic and had a silicone dry lube, which left no moisture behind and left only a very thin powder residue that was very slick. I liked that idea but never found the product at an auto parts store.

Leo

I am a believer in a silicone lube that remains wet for the inside of mags. The outside should be clean and dry. If you are serious, you will clean your mags everytime you drop them anyway (don't let a lazy moment cost you a stage). I went to several places and bought different brands of silicone spray and then tested by spraying a small puddle on a hard surface. I use the brand that was still there 24 hrs later. I soak a rag with it and keep it in a ziplock bag and run it through the mag and wipe the follower after cleaning. I agree with L2S on the magwell stuff. Clean and dry.

I did a search looking for the thread where we discussed this about a year ago, but it must be gone. I am pretty sure it was the "Magmaster", Bevin Grams, who gave me this technique. I had reservations about using a wet lube due to it attracting dirt, and he told me: You're shooting an IPSC match with a race gun, dirt in the mag is a non-issue. Clean 'em.