Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone shoot right handed and use left eye or left handed and use righ

Flyin40

I thought about this last yr and decided I'm going to give it a try this yr. I'm Left handed and right eye dominant. I have been using Browning's Magic Dot the last 3yrs and had great success with it but it just doesn't feel right. I haven't shot a pistol since last September and my right eye has taken over again. Once I start using the tape the left/right eye fight over which one is more dominant. Right now after the long break I can throw the gun up (iron sights or Optics) and my right eye takes over. Everything is clear and no double vision. I'll just have to adjust my grip and hold alittle and get used to bringing the gun to a different spot so my right eye and see the sight.

I'm wondering if anyone does this and ran into any problems and how well it worked. I know some top shooters do this including Sevigny. Thought I would try it since my eyes have had a long break.

Flyin

Edited by Flyin40

Just bring the gun up to the same place each time and turn your head slightly so the dominant eye is looking at the sights.Works for me since I was a kid shooting bb pistols.I am almost blind in my right eye so I never tried to "train"it,just shot right hand and used my left eye.

<_< I am right hand left eye. I don't give up much. for a real fast first shot like Smoke and Hope I will bring my head just a bit over at the neck but keep my face square to the target. If you can keep both eyes open and not tilt you head I don't think you will give up anything.

But! I may not know nothing

JF

<_< I am right hand left eye. I don't give up much. for a real fast first shot like Smoke and Hope I will bring my head just a bit over at the neck but keep my face square to the target. If you can keep both eyes open and not tilt you head I don't think you will give up anything.

But! I may not know nothing

JF

Yeah, I don't want anything but square shoulders/head to the target. Only thing I want to change is hand position, just bring it alittle more to the right. I was wondering if anything creeps up shooting this way. Like your head starting to turn to make it easier for your right eye or any grip issues that come up. I noticed theres alittle more tension in the wrist doing it this way.

Thanks

Flyin

John,

I'd suggest just putting the gun under the strong eye...keeping the head up, as usually. You may wnat to play with elbow positin a bit. I'd highly suggest getting some live fire in to do the timing drill. (before you start dry-firing a bunch)

John,

I'd suggest just putting the gun under the strong eye...keeping the head up, as usually. You may wnat to play with elbow positin a bit. I'd highly suggest getting some live fire in to do the timing drill. (before you start dry-firing a bunch)

+1 on that ... And yes I do turn my strong hand wrist "just a bit" to get the gun over to my Strong eye. my elbow point down and out at about 45 deg. <_< I could probably put a water Mellon resting on my arms and almost see over it. A loaf of bread for shurr.

Flex is heading you the right way.

I have taught pistol classes for many years and cross eye dominance is a much more common issue than most shooters understand it to be. I'd guess.... about 10 - 20% of the people I've trained have this issue to face.

Either practice bringing the gun more on line with the "strong" eye-- like Kyle said-- (thousands of dry fire draws will do it)...or go to a center of the body "hold" with both eyes open... and shoot an extra 3K rounds a year to make it works for you.

Or for a pure defensive mode... go to a Crimson Trace Laser... Not USPSA or IDPA aproved.. but they sure work.. even with my coke bottle glasses off my face:)

There is no easy way to deal with this.

I personally have so much loss of vision in my dominate eye... I am actually considering converting to cross eye shooting. All this can be done.. but it takes a ton of work.

Good Luck

I have always shot right handed but am left eye dom., I have found that a very stable platform is to lay my right cheek on right shoulder and sight down the slide with my left eye. This brings head, shoulder, arm , and gun all in the same shooting plane. (A mideast secret police have been teaching this style for many years) This will almost give you rifle accuracy on long range pistol shots.

I am right handed left eye dominant and When i first got into this sport for the first three months i shot with my right eye (never shot a handgun before so it felt natural) i didn't notice until i did the pointing test that i was left eye dom. I practiced and practiced to get the left eye there and finally put masking tape over my right eye of my glasses (where it saw the front sight) and after a few months I was able to train my grip and stance to adjust to becoming left eye dominant.

I am a left handed pistol shooter and right eye dominant. I shoot rifles and bows right handed. I shoot 3 gun also. I need to stay right eye dominant for long guns, but I have thought about and practiced shooting right handed with my handgun.

Randy

First of all let me say you're not going to win matches on the draw. I am right handed left eyed dominant. This is one of the reasons I ventured in to open division. I'm not able to shoot iron sights with both eyes open because I lose the front sight after the first shot fired. Your eyes are about 2.5in apart so drawing the gun up to the opposite eye isn't a factor. I think you should take the tape off and learn to shoot with your dominate eye.

removing a few pounds wouldn't hurt either. :P

First of all let me say you're not going to win matches on the draw. I am right handed left eyed dominant. This is one of the reasons I ventured in to open division. I'm not able to shoot iron sights with both eyes open because I lose the front sight after the first shot fired. Your eyes are about 2.5in apart so drawing the gun up to the opposite eye isn't a factor. I think you should take the tape off and learn to shoot with your dominate eye.

removing a few pounds wouldn't hurt either. :P

I tried it last yr in the middle of the season, just messing around but because I was using my left already they would fight back and forth. I'll try it this week and see how it goes.

You got some jokes huh Thomas, you know strokin that new $20 gun doesn't count as exercise. :devil::goof: Hey did you sell your Tickle charger??? Used Tickle chargers don't sell too well. :surprise:

Flyin

you know strokin that new $20 gun doesn't count as exercise

are you jealous?

What do you think :bow:

BTW the wife read the post where you put a link to the gun. She had the same comment after you beat me 0.54% at Area 8

"Thomas that Bastard" :goof::goof::goof:

Flyin

Worked on this last night and today. Within 3 draws my head was wanting to turn to make it easier to see the dot with my right eye. I just tucked my shirt in real tight and clenched my shirt with my teeth to keep my head centered. If I would turn my head I could tell immediately because I pulled on the shirt. Today the gun went up without any problems. I didn't have to think about, it was just right where it was supposed to be. I did notice my eyes are having alittle trouble. I'm not sure if its because I'm getting so much visual input now as compared to before.

I'll keep messing with it.

Also got some good news. I was originally going to shoot the Florida Open but had to push back the vacation to Florida(Taking the wife and kids to Disney World) so I couldn't shoot it. I just read the match update for Florida State match, Its the weekend I'm there. If everything works out I should be able to make the match. We are staying at my sisters and my Mom is flying down so there will be plenty of attention for the kids. Looks like I should of started back dryfiring a couple months ago.

(Edited for Thomas) Nice looking gun, willing to wager on head to head finishes this year???? B):P I could use a new gun in my collection :surprise:

Flyin

Edited by Flyin40

willing to wager on head to head finishes this year????

I'd be willing to make a little wager but I ain't given up my rifle. we'll work something out. How does $1 per delta for every match we shoot together?

Hey, woo, hold on. We are wagering my rifle that your just holding for me :devil::devil:

We used to wager on D's but some wise person ask "Why would you focus on the negative?? Bet on the most A's, bet on what you do right" Maybe that wise one might chime in???

We can just do some beers, I'm sure were going to make it out for some grub and a beer :cheers:

Flyin

I shoot right handed left eye also,but can also shoot with the right eye.Head stays in one spot gun moves slightly, I find myself switching in the middle of a string depending on the angle and I dont really notice I'm doing it,OK I'm odd :surprise: ,just saying I wouldnt worry to much about it.

I shoot right handed left eye also,but can also shoot with the right eye.Head stays in one spot gun moves slightly, I find myself switching in the middle of a string depending on the angle and I dont really notice I'm doing it,OK I'm odd :surprise: ,just saying I wouldnt worry to much about it.

Where you from in North Dakota??? I went out last October for a Pheasant/Duck hunt. Had a great time, heading back this fall.

Flyin

Speaking of beers, after a few, a shooting buddy and I decided to shoot a few matches as if we were left handed. Both being right handed and right eye dominant we had to over come the obstacle that is the topic of this thread. All I can say is that it took longer to perfect the draw, backasswords grip and reloads than it did to just move the pistol over to the right an inch or so to line up the sights with the dominant eye. I think with a few hours of focused practice it shouldn’t be any problem. I would just stay away form anything that contorts the body.