Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ladies Match in Boston

Hi All - Some of you know me and know that myself (Donna) and 2 other lady shooters (Evelyn and Jackie) are kinda known as the '3 amigas' in the Area 7 circuit! I'm the one with the snakeskin grips!

I got bit by the IPSC bug about 3 years ago and have been trying to shoot as many matchs as possible! The 3 of us have also travelled to Arizona to the Babes with Bullets camp twice and got to shoot with Julie Goloski and Kaye Miculek and we were invited to participate in the Lady Smith match in Louisiana in April! (Yes, we already have our plane tickets!!!)

I am also a firearm instructor at Boston Gun and Rifle in Dorchester and also the Boston Area Coordinator for the Second Amendment Sisters. BGRA is my home club and they are very good to me in that they allow me to hold various ladies shooting events at the club. I also have a ladies 4th Friday practice nite which is the 4th friday of every month from 7 to 9:30pm. All ladies are welcomed. We have loaner firearms and no license or experience is necessary. Myself, Evelyn and Jackie are all certified instructors and we welcome newbies!!!!!!! All they have to do is purchase their own ammo, which is available at the club.

Anyway, having such a love for IPSC, I thought it would be great to start holding IPSC style matchs at the club for Ladies only. (sorry guys). My reasoning being that a lot of women are intimidated by this male dominated sport and having a ladies only match could help them to develop the confidence and desire to maybe join and participate in regular IPSC matchs. See, they don't know that most of you guys are a bunch of teddy bears and really good and welcoming to us lady shooters!

Boston has IPSC style matchs on the 4th Sunday of the month, but again, it's mostly male dominated.

So, would you mind spreading the word about my match? It's going to be the 4th Saturday of every month (first one this coming Saturday, Jan.26th) fro 6pm until we're done! 3 stages of moving and paper targets, some pins and some plates. About 30 rounds per stage. This is really not for total newbies, but all are welcomed to come and watch. We won't have loaners either. Ladies should have their own firearm (at least 9mm to knock down steel) and a holster that covers the trigger. 3 or more magazines/speed loaders will be needed. The fee is $10.00 and there will be a cash prize for the 'lucky target' winner. Unfortunately, we won't be scoring by divisions.

And it will be a COLD range!!!!!!!! And info about the club can be found at www.bostongunclub.net.

Thanks all.

Donna

Edited by kimmie

As they say in the vernacular... YOU GO GIRL.

:cheers:

Have a Great Match!

I grew up in Squantum. Just across the Bay. I don’t know how long that range has been their But I never knew about it. :surprise:

Jim M ammo

Hey neighbor - BGRA has been there for over 30 years!!!!! It's the best kept secret in Boston. It's in a former garage that belongs to the MBTA. It's actually kinda below the Fields Corner T Station!

I wanted to add that Rob Boudrie, the Area 7 USPSA director, sent USPSA a copy of my Ladies Match Flyer and they sent me a bunch of USPSA promotional info so hopefully - I'll be adding a lot of new women to the USPSA/IPSC roster!!!!!!

Come on over to one of our Sunday matchs some time!

Have you posted this match at www.northeastshooters.com? I hope you're a member there as it's a great New England shooting forum.

As for the Sunday matches for "both" sexes is this a USPSA style match or is it strictly pins or steel? I would be interested in attending one of these matches. Please let me know as I'm always looking for different places to shoot.

Thanks,

Pete

Have you posted this match at www.northeastshooters.com? I hope you're a member there as it's a great New England shooting forum.

As for the Sunday matches for "both" sexes is this a USPSA style match or is it strictly pins or steel? I would be interested in attending one of these matches. Please let me know as I'm always looking for different places to shoot.

Thanks,

Pete

Hi Pete - Yes, this was posted on the n.e.shooters forum by one of the ladies from my club. I'm not a member there but I guess maybe I should be. Sounds like a lot of great people on there!

BGRA has matchs every Sunday morning starting at 9am. They vary PPC style matchs using snubbies, revolver or semi's on varying Sundays. The 4th Sunday, (and 5th if there is one) are always IPSC style. We have some creative stage designers so the course of fire is usually pretty interesting and we've been having a pretty decent turn out this winter. We have a couple of neat moving targets involving bowling pins, some steel and lots of paper. It involves some moving and some drawing from the holster. You can get more info at www.bostongunclub.net. Look forward to seeing you there!

Donna

Have a Great Match!

I grew up in Squantum. Just across the Bay. I don’t know how long that range has been their But I never knew about it. :surprise:

Jim M ammo

Hey neighbor - BGRA has been there for over 30 years!!!!! It's the best kept secret in Boston. It's in a former garage that belongs to the MBTA. It's actually kinda below the Fields Corner T Station!

I wanted to add that Rob Boudrie, the Area 7 USPSA director, sent USPSA a copy of my Ladies Match Flyer and they sent me a bunch of USPSA promotional info so hopefully - I'll be adding a lot of new women to the USPSA/IPSC roster!!!!!!

The Commute is a bit out of touch, for a Sunday match.

I now live in the boonies in Texas. But I can shoot on my property.

I’ll be up that way. In OCT 08 for a Wedding. So I’ll never say never.

I was kind of wondering, how the handgun thing is working in Mass.

Don’t you still have to have God. Give you a permit just to own a gun?

I don’t think I can just bag my gun in the truck and drive to your match in Mass.

I was wondering How Smith & Wesson handles that issue with the IDPA match they put on? I’m sure some shooters come in from out of state?

It is good to know real people own guns in the Peoples Republic of Mass.

Have a Great Match!

Jim M ammo

I don’t think I can just bag my gun in the truck and drive to your match in Mass.

I was wondering How Smith & Wesson handles that issue with the IDPA match they put on? I’m sure some shooters come in from out of state?

I live in the Peoples Republic of MA and it sux. We have so many rediculous legislation on what we can and can't buy. It is difficult to get a permit in this state esp. in Boston. Luckily I live in the Western part of the state so it's much more acceptable than in Boston. It still is no easy task.

Have a Great Match!

Jim M ammo

I would say it would be a bit of a commute :mellow: but look us up in October!! Plenty of people will be happy to hook you up with a gun for the match!

I don't know much about the laws for coming into Mass with a gun but I'm sure someone on here does - I just know that Mass is not a reciprocal state - they honor NO ONES licenses as far as carrying goes! When I travel, my Mass license is good where ever I'm going as long as its to a match or some sort of training and I need to have paper work proving that I'm going where I say I'm going and I wouldn't attempt to carry! I would guess it would be the same coming into Mass, but that's something I would want to know for sure!

It's actually not that hard to get a license in Mass. It's just hard to get one for all lawful purposes or concealed carry. Most towns will give you a class A but with restrictions such as for sport /target or employment. The newest thing that Boston is doing is also adding a 'no concealed carry' restriction. These restrictions are printed directly on the license. The thing that's the worse about Mass, though, is it's approved gun list!!! When I go to Maine or N.H., all I can do is drool on the glass while looking at all those pretty new Kimber and Springfield Armory guns that I can't even touch! Now that's pain!

Donna

Edited by kimmie