Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is your Steel Challenge load?

ddj8052

I should be getting my new SS Open gun from Randy Lee in the next month or so (fingers crossed) and I need to start loading 9mm for it. I pretty well have my .45acp recipe down, but would like to come up with a base line for 9mm. I would really like to hear what has worked for others so I can have an Idea of where to start. Thanks for any help, Juan.

light bullet ( 115 gr JHP MG ) and fast powder ( Vectan BA10 until it runs out :( )

Start with a load that will get you about 950 fps and begin to work up until you find something that will run the gun 100 %.

When the gun is clean, I can get a 115 @ 930 fps to work but by about 300 rds, it becomes unreliable. @ 1000 fps, it runs just fine.

The real key is accuracy. You must have an accurate load as the back plates on Outer Limits look awful small.

Try these.........

88-95 jhp ( for accuracy....) 1.095 OAL

4.7gr Win 231

115 jhp ( again accuracy) 1.080 OAL

4.0-4.2gr W231

Using fmj in these weights and loads will open up your groups at 35yds....with 95gr fmj you wont like the groups at 35yds...... :surprise:

Why the archaic Win 231........because it is cheap in 8lb containers, and it is accurate in this caliber with these bullets for Steel Challenge. You could spend more, but not get the accuracy for the price.....

231 meters well in my Dillon powder drops and makes some very accurate loads. It is a bit dirty, but you can get away with cleaning your gun around 1000 rounds. That works in my Colt, Kimber, and Springfield, 1911's.

A soft practice load (9 mm) is a 127 gr. LRN with 3.6 grains. From my Kimber it it gives a 123 PF. Could be bumped up to get more PF if desired. (this load has a good bit of room to move up if needed)

I have used many other powders, but always return to WW 231 for the 9 mm and .45 acp loads.

Buddy

In Super, the old standby is ~5gr N320 under a 115 XTP. Cleanliness is key when you may shoot 1000 rounds the days of and up to the match.

In 9, I usually load Titegroup or 231 to about 120 PF. 9's seem to stay a lot cleaner than Supers with steel loads, so more powders work better there. Makes a change to use loads that are in the book for once ;). Swapping to a 7lb spring is all it takes in the Open guns.