Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

7625 Conundrum...

I have managed to procure exactly one pound of 7625, the best powder I have found for my open gun.

I have a major match in two weeks. (buckeye blast)

IMR 7625 (and all IMR powders) is known to vary between lots, so should I

a. Mix the two .5 pounds together and chrono a load.

b. Chrono a load from one .5 pound and save it for the match.

4756 is a close second with 3n38 a solid third.

I have 10 pounds of 4756 coming, and 4 pounds of 3n38 in stock.

Is it dumb to combine the two .5 cans of 7625 and chrono the load?

On the line it may not matter, but tonight it seems to matter a lot.

SA

Steve,

I've been shooting 7625 for about 3 years. I always work up, chrono, etc... everytime I change lots, but...... I really haven't seen much difference lot to lot. That being said I would still play it safe, especially for a big match.

I would not recommend mixing the two cans. Especially not standing next to the gas hot water heater while smoking a cigar wearing rubber soled slippers :P

If you've got time to work up a load from one can, you've got time to work up a load from both. Chrono both and go from there.

What's the scoop on 3n38?

Steve,

what about developing (and chronoing) a match load with one can, and use the other for training with the same powder weight?

Even if the second batch is slightly different, I suspect it wouldn't make so much difference on your hand, and you would end up having a tested load for your match.

As Nolan said, I wouldn't mix the two cans togheter: I never do this in my reloads for safety reasons.

Nolan,

I thought 3n38 was the best til I did an a/b with the two imr powders.

The dot tracking is very similar but there is more "smack" in the hand with 3n38.

The 7625 is just smoother and softer.

Thanks for the advice.

SA

Steve,

I'm using 3n38 now but have found a bunch of 4756 at a great price. You mentioned how 7625 compares to the 3n38; how about the 4756? Is it dirtier than the vit powders?

Thanks.

I find 4756 to be ALMOST as smooth as the 7625, both are noticably softer than 3n38.

Also, my major load of 3n38 is 9.8 and it goes fast at that rate. :(

I may just switch to 4756 and forget the stress of trying to find 7625 all the time.

The 3n38 is great til you shoot it right next to 7625. The whole guns seems to smooth out and settle down.

SA