Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hi8 or digital

BBoyle

I am not sure if this belongs here. If not please move it.

I was all set to get new video camera and was saving up so the wife won't be so upset. It would be one of the new dvd ones. But..........I had a friend over who played some videos from his and then I dug out some of mine on my old Hi8.

I was surprised, and he was as well, that videos that I took 6-7 years ago still looked great. I didn't notice a difference in quality at all and just can't seem to justify spending the money.

The Question

If I already have a decent camcorder, is it worth it to get a newer dvdr or hard drive one? Mine was compact 7 years ago and is almost twice the size of what I was looking at. That would be the only benefit I see.

Brian

I am not sure if this belongs here. If not please move it.

I was all set to get new video camera and was saving up so the wife won't be so upset. It would be one of the new dvd ones. But..........I had a friend over who played some videos from his and then I dug out some of mine on my old Hi8.

I was surprised, and he was as well, that videos that I took 6-7 years ago still looked great. I didn't notice a difference in quality at all and just can't seem to justify spending the money.

The Question

If I already have a decent camcorder, is it worth it to get a newer dvdr or hard drive one? Mine was compact 7 years ago and is almost twice the size of what I was looking at. That would be the only benefit I see.

Brian

I say this assuming you are wanting to flim yourself shooting.

Take a serious look at the Archos 605with its optional bullet camera. I got one for Christmas and it is outstanding. I have a post under this thread called "help with recoil management"

You have the ability to slow footage down to 1/8 speed. In addition to recording you can download movies, use it as an Ipod, surf the web, and store pictures.

After filming yourself you can easily load the files to your home computer for editing or storage.

Run a serach on this website and you will find some other people using this equipment as well.

Edited by ap3

I have a nice Sony Hi-8 that still records okay but the replay panel is acting up. Fortunately the remote works but I wanted to replace it before it went completely belly up. I am also in the midst of transferring the videos to DVR to have two sets.

At Christmas, the LOML gave me a Sony HD camcorder. It is one of the new small ones and is less than half the size and weight of my old Hi-8. I was really happy with it until I played back the first videos. The quality was awful! :angry2: It was much worse than my Hi-8. Considering it was a $500 camcorder, I didn't find that acceptable. I returned it and bought a Sony HC48 MiniDV camcorder. Externally, it is about the same as the Hard Drive version but the quality of the video is much, much better and slightly superior to my older Hi-8. Better yet, it was just over half the price of the HD version.

Both were standard definition and not high definition units. The high definition units are at least twice as expensive and seem to be limited to a 10X zoom which is pretty wimpy in most circumstances.

Bottom line, if your Hi-8 works okay the improvement in video quality you're likely to see is pretty minimal. However, if you want something much smaller and lighter, go with a MiniDV. Whatever you do, stay away from a HD until they improve the technology.