Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One Minute Draws

megaman

Um, muscles don't have memory. The one minute draw might help with something, but as far as a fast draw, I doubt it will help much. The key (I think) to hitting a fast draw is doing a zillion fast draws. See, I think this because to draw fast you must see fast and to see fast you have to practice seeing fast. The slow mo thing doesn't help you see fast so I don't think it will be helpful for fast draws. Any bozo can snap the gun out of the holster and pull the trigger pretty fast, but breaking an accurate shot off the draw is the part that seperates bozos from shooters. The holster stuff and getting the gun up to your eyes can be done ten different ways (all fast) but it is the shooting that matters most.

I'm a believer in slow-mo draws and other actions because you can see what's going on easier, but they're not the end-all, be-all of draw practice. Get the basic actions wired slowly and refine with speed.

Slow-motion video of full-speed draws also will tell you a lot.

World IPSC Champion Ross Seyfried was a big believer in slomo draw practice. He said he used to practice and wouldn't let himself stop until he felt he'd done 10 in a row absolutely perfect slow motion draws. And this sometimes went on for hours. To paraphrase, "Only I'll ever know if I ever quit before I got those 10 perfect draws."

what i like about them is the drills point out problems we might miss during our usually sub second draws. for those of us without the benefit of a slow motion feature on our cameras/camcorders, they can in increase efficiency of movement and, all importantly in our sport, time. my advise is practice slow before going to light speed, adjust, and repeat.

I'm a fan of the Tai Chi draw, but a minute seems a bit excessive. Go slowly enough so your goal can be to not have any physical movement go by unnoticed. This practice builds perfect technique, but you have to practice quickly to move quickly. I'd practice the Tai Chi draws first, and then do the real-time speed draws.

be