Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accurate DCM legal 9mm load

Allgoodhits

I am in need of the most accurate load obtainable, i.e. 2" or less at 50 yds for a 9x19. The bullet must be a 115 or 124 grain FMJ bullet. The barrel length will be right at 5" no comp. The load will be for shooting DCM or EIC conventional pistol matches, 25 and 50 yards.

Any one have or know of a good recipe? Variations from FMJ bullet is not an option.

Thanks,

MJ :cheers:

In the May, 2007 issue of Shooting Times, there is an article by Dick Metcalf and R.L Window titled "Handloading the 9MM for accuracy"

They show the following as a NRA bullseye or PPC load

Bullet: Hornady 124 grain FMJ/FP

Powder: Power Pistol, 6.0 grains

Case: Remington

Primer: Winchester Small Pistol

Velocity: 1,250 FPS

"Bullseye/PPC load provides group average under 2.00 inches at 50 yards from six-inch barreled Springfield Custom Model 1911 pistol."

I hope that helps.

I got this off the Bullseye-L forum.....

115 fmj

OAL 1.120

win primer

any case

4.8-5.0gr WSF or VV330

The 6.0 -6.2gr load of Power pistol with the above load data is supposed to be good in the Beretta as well.....

Good luck,

DougC

Thanks!

I'll archive those and try them. The 124 at 1250fps should have a bit of steam, but still softer than 230 ball. I was hoping to run 124 around 1050+/- and 115 around 1100+/-. I'll be shooting them in a Mountain Competition Pistol M9 I recently acquired. Dr. Nick from MCP did a nice job on it. He has his own version of rails that are quite interesting. Similar, yet different from the AccuRail systems.

I use Clays and WST in my .38 Super Bianchi gun. I will try both in the 9mm too. My first trials will be +/- 3.9 Clays and 4.5 WST behind a 115 FMJ. In the Super I use 4.2 Clays and 4.7 WST for 1100 fps with 115 JHP and they shoot around 2" at 50 yds. Less if I sort the brass, weigh the bullets etc. The Hornady 115 FMJ run about the same speed but group opens to about 2.5" @50yds.

Based on the info you guys provided, maybe the FMJs like going a bit faster to get the accuracy?

Martin :cheers:

Thanks!

I'll archive those and try them. The 124 at 1250fps should have a bit of steam, but still softer than 230 ball. I was hoping to run 124 around 1050+/- and 115 around 1100+/-. I'll be shooting them in a Mountain Competition Pistol M9 I recently acquired. Dr. Nick from MCP did a nice job on it. He has his own version of rails that are quite interesting. Similar, yet different from the AccuRail systems.

I use Clays and WST in my .38 Super Bianchi gun. I will try both in the 9mm too. My first trials will be +/- 3.9 Clays and 4.5 WST behind a 115 FMJ. In the Super I use 4.2 Clays and 4.7 WST for 1100 fps with 115 JHP and they shoot around 2" at 50 yds. Less if I sort the brass, weigh the bullets etc. The Hornady 115 FMJ run about the same speed but group opens to about 2.5" @50yds.

Based on the info you guys provided, maybe the FMJs like going a bit faster to get the accuracy?

Martin :cheers:

4.4 grains WST does well for me in 9MM using 115 Gr. FJM. As much as I love Clays under the 230's in .45 ACP, I just can't get it to shoot with the light 9MM bullets...more of a "pattern" than a "group".

These comments are from Neil of NSK Sales, a commercial reloader who contributes to the Bullseye forum. Most likely the barrel for the first load (sub 1") was a 1:32 KKM.

THE load: Hornady XTP 9-115 gr JHP bullet, sitting on top of 4.8 grs of VihtaVuori N330, a Winchester WSP primer, and a new case. The OAL is 1.08".

With a Sierra 9-115 FMJ RN or Winchester 9-115 FMJ HB bullet (buy them from Midway USA), for those of you that are looking for the ball load, the same formula as above, except the OAL is 1.130-1.140" (depending on your barrel throat and reamer), will hold under 1" at 50 yards.

That's it, now you have all of our research done for the last few years. Jerry Keefer has a pet load too that uses the 9-147 XTP (4.2 grains of VV330 w/147 Hornady XTP OAL 1.140" .Just a note; The AMI match ammo has an OAL of 1.120 with the 147 XTP), but our load out shot it.

OMT, the AMU, through Atlanta Arms, has developed an outstanding load using the Sierra 9-115 FMJ RN (#8115) and Winchester WSF (5.8-6.2) and an OAL of 1.30.

/Bryan

Martin,

We have a military match here that requires FMJ, I have been using my 38Super (calibre not restricted) with Sierra 125FMJ that is the same load I use for NRA Metallic sight point of impact shifts a little but the load is perfect.

But you are going to be using 9x19 I would go with V V N320 3.9gr (1017fps) - 4.3gr (1100fps) in a 4" about 50fps better in a 5".

I have also had good results with 3.9gr TG for about 1050fps. I think the max load was 4.3gr or so. I found them a little pressury and accuracy was below what I expect.

Check out the picture under the post "Montana Gold 121 IFP". That group is pretty good. You might try some of them. MG says 1000 min. order but if they don't work for what you want you might be able to sell them to someone shooting IPSC or IDPA. It's worth a try.

These comments are from Neil of NSK Sales, a commercial reloader who contributes to the Bullseye forum. Most likely the barrel for the first load (sub 1") was a 1:32 KKM.
THE load: Hornady XTP 9-115 gr JHP bullet, sitting on top of 4.8 grs of VihtaVuori N330, a Winchester WSP primer, and a new case. The OAL is 1.08".

With a Sierra 9-115 FMJ RN or Winchester 9-115 FMJ HB bullet (buy them from Midway USA), for those of you that are looking for the ball load, the same formula as above, except the OAL is 1.130-1.140" (depending on your barrel throat and reamer), will hold under 1" at 50 yards.

That's it, now you have all of our research done for the last few years. Jerry Keefer has a pet load too that uses the 9-147 XTP (4.2 grains of VV330 w/147 Hornady XTP OAL 1.140" .Just a note; The AMI match ammo has an OAL of 1.120 with the 147 XTP), but our load out shot it.

OMT, the AMU, through Atlanta Arms, has developed an outstanding load using the Sierra 9-115 FMJ RN (#8115) and Winchester WSF (5.8-6.2) and an OAL of 1.30.

/Bryan

Anyone have an idea of how much Crimp to use?

My production load is quite accurate. Althought never tested at 50 yards. It holds 3" at 35 offhand. Should easily make 2-2.5" on a rest or sandbags at 50.

I use Winchester small pistol magnum primers,3.8grains Titegroup,under a 124 grain Montana gold CMJ with .375" crimp loaded to 1.140"

It makes 129pf and has enough oomph to not drop much at 50. Seems to drop about 5" at 50.

Also look at Win 231.......supposed to be one of the most accurate 9mm powders available.

• 3 years later...

/Bryan

the Sierra 8115 9mm bullet is .550. The max length 9mm case is .754. That's 1.304; ie basically no seating at all.

what OAL did he mean?

Edited by danpass