Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock for Steel Challenge?

badchad

Hi:

I shoot a Limited glock 35 in USPSA matches, and (and just finished my 4th steel challenge match with it) and I carry a glock 23 as my side arm, so I’m fairly invested in the glock platform.

I figured I wanted a 9mm to specialize in steel challenge (maybe some IDPA) and I would just get a glock 34 since it would be similar to my limited gun. I have a Glock 34 on back order because I wanted a green frame, and have since have had all my accessories arrive first (Vanek trigger, Dawson Ice magwell, Trugrip, and tungsten recoil rod, 13 lb spring) that match what’s on my limited gun. So I was thinking, I’m tired of waiting for the back order, and since I’m replacing the trigger anyway, is there any point in paying extra for the 34? Money isn’t much of an issue but I hate to pay an extra $80 for the 34 if there is absolutely no advantage over the 17. I imagine there is a smidge benefit to the feel of the platforms being closer to my limited gun and the longer site radius, but I figure the glock 17 might draw and transition a smidge faster.

Any input from you steel shooters out there?

Edited by badchad

I like the extra sight radius of a 5in gun over the 4in......so I would say get the 34.....but it just boils down to what ever works for you.... :) See if you can borrow someone's gun and try it if you are not sure. If not, it is a good excuse for another gun...... :D

See ya,

DougC

Hello: I bought a G34 first and used it. I then bought a G35 and made it the same as the 34 with the same sights (Dawson) etc. I then sold the 34 to a friend. I miss the 34 that it is gone and I will buy another one for sure. Buy the 34 and don't look back. The sight radius is worth it and the transitions are the same. Draws from the holster just takes practice and is about the same. OR you could just shoot the 35 and save the money for more bullets ;-) Thanks, Eric

I've shot them all (17,22,34,35) in Steel Challenge. Pick one and practice.

I prefer the longer version...just because it fits my race holster better (though I usually use my Production holster). My race holster is a Hogue Power Speed and has the magnets located low...so I need the extra slide length.

I do OK with my G17, but if I was buying new, I'd get the G34. I got the G17 because it was a dirt cheap factory rebuild and I'm a cheap kind of guy. The targets aren't that far away in steel challenge, but a little extra sight radius ain't a bad thing.