Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumb grip when drawing a 1911

InTheBlack

I've been working with a fat Para Ordinance recently and noticed that I seem to get a better grip (I have small hands) if I grip using my thumb, as opposed to putting my thumb passively on top of the thumb safety.  So I must either position the thumb not on the safety, or push the safety off in the process of gripping for the draw.  Pushing the safety off doesn't bother me per se, since my finger isn't inside the trigger guard until I'm pointing downrange.  If I draw with my thumb not on top of the safety, it is an extra motion that seems to occur as I am getting my weak hand on the gun.  But if I were shooting one-handed, it might significantly screw things up under stress.

My draw evolved the same way, I would grip the pistol on contact and swing the thumb up and over the safety on the way to the target.

I soon noticed that the gods were drawing with their thumb on the safety and educated myself to do the same.

I hadn't given the issue much thought since, but on reflection I think I fixed something that wasn't broke.

I never did or do have trouble with strong hand only draws with either technique.

FTR I too have small hands.

P.D.

I would learn thumb on draw. Its one of the "everybody good does it" Some things are flexible. If you don't mind giving up a couple tenths every stage then do it.

There will be a day when you would "die" for a couple tenths off your draw.

[notrecommededtechniquewarningon]

If you're really cranking some high-speed draws, like in the .50's, you'll find that no matter how quick you try to disengage the safety, it is what's "holding you up" to fire the shot. You can literally have the trigger depressed and the shot fires when the safety clicks off.

My safety depressing movement on a "normal draw" goes like this: (It's not a typically used movement) - the safety clicks off soon - if the gun were to fire at that instant the bullet would hit the ground about 3 feet in front of me. (Not that I've ever did that.) Then my thumb lifts back up above the safety as my left hand slides into position. This allows me to get my left hand slightly higher on the pistol than if my thumb remained clamped down on the safety. Then my thumb clamps back down on the safety as my arms are nearing full extension. And my trigger finger is just touching/prepping the trigger at about that point. I didn't train this intentionally, I just noticed that's how I did it one day.

[/notrecommededtechniquewarningoff]

be

• 2 months later...

Brian

I'm confused. You say "Then my thumb clamps back down on the safety as my arms are nearing full extension."

I have been devouring your book and on page 42 you say "Both thumbs are pointed at the target, but neither touches the gun" ???

Is your thumb on the safety while firing or do you lift it off after dis-engaging?

(Edited by George D at 9:38 am on Oct. 9, 2002)