Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Much Time Before You Shoot To Plan?

BBS1911

How much time is reasonable to get yourself mentally prepared for the stage and not look like your not helping. At a recent match I saw some shooters help RO and score including myself right up until it was my turn to shoot. I sometimes feel rushed when I do this. Is it appropiate to take yourself out of these duties one shooter before you are to shoot or is two acceptable. What do you feel is a good middle ground for shooting well and still helping out.

I always like to shoot first, I find (for me) the less I think about a stage, the less likely I'll screw it up.

I'd say when you are on deck is a good time to get mentally prepared. But this depends on what you do to get prepared or the type of stage. Sometimes with a more difficult stage you may need more time to prepare.

I agree with Jake about being “on deck”, it’s MY time. I’m always helping out, however and wherever I’m needed EXCEPT just before my turn or just AFTER my run. Those times I get selfish, someone else can reset steel or tape.

Spool up, shoot, then wind down, otherwise I’m available.

And I DON’T like to be first or last, maybe fourth or fifth that way I can “learn” the stage and make up my mind about how I want to do it without second guessing my initial “take on it”… which is usually right

Ed

The "on deck" shooter shouldn't have to work. They are the next person that will be playing with a hot firearm. As such, they should have the on deck time to prepare to shoot safely (and well).

Other than that, you have to look at your squad size. Are the shooters also doing duty running the clock and the clipboard? If so, then you need a pretty good sized squad before anybody that isn't pulling duty can slack off on resetting the stage. (timer, clipboard, on-deck shooter, shooter, just finished shooter)

• 1 month later...

I'm really bad about screwing around and socializing right up until they call me up.

That has led to me really screwing up some stages over the years. I think no one would think less of you if when you are called, " in the hole", you take time out for yourself to try and get your game plan together.

I'm sure there have been many previuos posts about visualization. When I am serious about my performance, I try to close my eyes and run the stage in my head several times before I actually go up to shoot. If that means not helping reset for a couple of shooters prior to me shooting, no one will mind.

If it's a big match, start mental preparation in the, "Deep Hole". Having your game plan down, and your focus directed at the performance at hand will help your game as much as throwing rounds down range in practice. :blink:

It depends on the complexity of the stage. If it is just a simple Standard with no weird procedures then "on deck" will work. If it is a run 'n gun field course where I need to plan reloads and determine which target to take when or a standard with more involved procedures then more like "deep hole".