Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cross Dominance

Shoot isolese stance...then just move the gun over so thjat it is in fronmt of your left eye, instead of the right.

When you use the search function, make sure you set it to look "from the beginning"...not just 30 days.

I've fought this problem for a long time myself.

I've resigned to the fact that I'm a popeye style shooter. :angry:

I tried tape for a while, but it just about drove me nuts. It solved my eye dominance problem while I was shooting, but damn near drove me crazy.

I had to have two pairs of glasses at the range, one with tape for shooting, one without for everything else. If I wasn't shooting, I had to put on my plain glasses to paste, keep score, police brass,,,,,,and just generally not go crazy due to my depth perception being "off".

I got fed up with switching back and forth between my glasses and started shooting popeye style again. I may give it a try again later this summer.

It just got to where is was an annoyance switching glasses all the time.

H4444

• 1 month later...
I am cross dominance (right handed and left eye). How can I overcome this while shooting ?

Thanks

It's no problem. Just lean your head slightly to the right to bring the dominant eye into the line of sight and then sight the gun normally. We "normal" guys do exactly the same thing when we switch to shooting left handed, because the dom right eye is on the opposite side as the primary grip hand (so I tip my head slightly to the left). It's easy to learn to do it either way.

Thanks

It's no problem. Just lean your head slightly to the right to bring the dominant eye into the line of sight and then sight the gun normally. We "normal" guys do exactly the same thing when we switch to shooting left handed, because the dom right eye is on the opposite side as the primary grip hand (so I tip my head slightly to the left). It's easy to learn to do it either way.

If only it were so easy :)

Actually, I use my dominant (left) eye for shooting freestyle, right-hand only, left-only. Why on Earth would I choose to shoot with my weak eye when I have a choice in the matter? (Well, I do shoot rifle and shotgun right eyed, but that's a completely different kettle of fish.)

• 5 months later...

Try this...forget about it...it's a problem only because you think it is. If this were target shooting it would be an issue but it's combat action shooting. Don't put any tape on any glasses or tilt your head or any of that stuff. Draw the gun quickly, put it in the center of your paralaxed field of view (usually a little to the left of the normal target shooting position), get a sight bead with whatever eye does the job and pull the trigger. Usually twice quickly gets the job done the best! Really try it, it works. :)