Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sorter for mixed brass

Ken Mays

• 2 weeks later...

I bought it, I guess before they had the one for 9mm. It works GREAT w/ 45acp, but the 40S&W one also catches the 38/357. And then everything smaller is dropped into my bucket. If you only sort 45,40,9 it would be perfect. I'm sorting a whole assortment of things, so it's a little less than ideal. And when we sweep the floor cases get stuck in each other, and that's a pain. It's definitely worth the few bucks it costs though.

~Mitch

...If you only sort 45,40,9 it would be perfect...

Those are the competition calibers on our Action Shooting Range. We gather it up, stage by stage, and now, instead of spending close to an hour of everybody huddled over the common pile spread out on a picnic table, we run it through the shell sorter so that the SS guys can just pick through the .45, the Limited folks just through the .40, and the Open and Production types through the 9mm variants. Lots faster, and worth the $40. Case inside of case doubles and triples happen in any pile of mixed brass, but, with just fired brass, usually aren't bound up tight - if the sorter isn't overloaded to the point where the cases are standing on end and can move around easily, a lot of them will shake apart with the smaller caliber falling through, and the ones ending up in the sorted pile can be picked apart when it happens. The secret seems not to let any of the screens get overloaded - empty them out every couple double handfuls of brass put in.

I can see it being more of a problem going through public range brass with everything from .25 auto to .44 all mixed together, but it might still save some time.

• 5 weeks later...

I recently got a Shell Sorter. I had a five gallon bucket of range brass I sorted in less than an hour. I ended up with around 5000 9mm cases, 2000 .40 cases and 1500 .45 cases plus some assorted .38 specials, etc. Sorting by hand would have taken probably ten times that time so I'm sold.

Keith