Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken CZ extractor

JayC

Hello everyone. Went to practice this afternoon and 12 rounds in, my extractor broke on my SP-01. The claw snapped off right at the end. Is this common? I've done a search and haven't found anything for them breaking.

Hello everyone. Went to practice this afternoon and 12 rounds in, my extractor broke on my SP-01. The claw snapped off right at the end. Is this common? I've done a search and haven't found anything for them breaking.

This is a new one to me too. The only thing I've broken on my 75Bs is the slide stop. Call CZ-USA and tell them - they'll probably send you a new one under warranty.

When I got my gun from Matt last December, he included one. I've already used it though. When I was on Angus's site, I saw those, but not sure which one I need. The one included from Matt looked like it had some work done to it (not sure though). Are the ones from Angus factory springs? I know the one I put in appears to be weak as it doesn't have much tension to it. The spring in the gun when I got it from Matt was the same way. There have been a couple of times when the gun was new and even after having to replace the trigger spring, that the trigger wouldn't fully return to reset without me pushing it back. Cleaning the trigger bar area takes care of this issue. This is another reason why I question if the trigger spring is modified or not, just seems weak. I understand this improves trigger pull.

The stock SP-01 trigger return spring is WAY too strong - makes sense that Matt would have a weaker one for his trigger jobs. It should definitely be able to reset the trigger though - sounds like you've got some rough areas on the frame or trigger bar - maybe give him a call about it.

Also, CZ is very good about supplying replacement parts. Heck, I needed a new sear after returning my SP-01 to stock, and they sent it out for free - I wanted to buy one, but dude just sent me one for free...

This is the first I've heard of extractor breakage. Mine is now 17 years old. I've had one sear wear out after a Angus trigger job and SA conversion [he fixed it]. The thing just continues to run. He did install a heavier trigger spring to bring the trigger pull up from light breeze to stiff breeze.

When I got my gun from Matt last December, he included one. I've already used it though. When I was on Angus's site, I saw those, but not sure which one I need. The one included from Matt looked like it had some work done to it (not sure though). Are the ones from Angus factory springs? I know the one I put in appears to be weak as it doesn't have much tension to it. The spring in the gun when I got it from Matt was the same way. There have been a couple of times when the gun was new and even after having to replace the trigger spring, that the trigger wouldn't fully return to reset without me pushing it back. Cleaning the trigger bar area takes care of this issue. This is another reason why I question if the trigger spring is modified or not, just seems weak. I understand this improves trigger pull.

Matt changes the spring to make it lighter..when you first get it..it may not reset all the way..dryfire the bejeezus out of it..and in about a day..it will reset..the parts need to wear in a bit..and it will smooth out..it will be amazingly smooth..mine did the same thing..and it is a great trigger..

It did, I've had the gun since December of '06. But it still hangs up at times, and it just takes a little extra cleaning around the trigger bar area.

So can I get the trigger springs from Matt then? I assume the ones from Angus are factory springs. Or are the springs a factory spring, but from a different gun?

Sent CZ USA an email early yesterday afternoon, and haven't heard anything back yet. I figured it would probably take a day or two to get a response.

If I can figure out how to post pics, I will post a pic of the extractor tonight.

On the bright side, my new extractor shipped today from Angus.

Matt's spring are factory springs, he just bends them a little to make the SA trigger lighter.

I have found this unnecessary, I also prefer to have a more positive return, so it pushes my finger back also negating having to clean the gun every few hundred rounds.

Thank you for the information Angus, it's greatly appreciated. You'll be getting another order from me, lol.

Tried to take a few pics of the extractor with it still in the gun, but they didn't turn out.

I'll let you guys know what I hear from CZ.

I'll go with Angus on this one. With all you have to concentrate on in a match the last thing you want is a weak trigger return spring. You've get enough adrenalin pumping to not even feel the difference between a soft and a more positive spring working your trigger.

Well, got my extractor from Angus on Saturday. Took it to a match on Sunday and everything worked well.

Still haven't heard from CZ, and haven't had a chance to call them.

Not worried about the trigger spring issue. I'll Get a couple of factory ones for spares and let it be. The trigger pull difference isn't a deal to me. Just wasn't sure if it was a modded factory spring (which I thought it was), if it was a special spring I had to get from Matt or Angus, or if it was a spring out of another CZ model. It only has stuck on me in practice when I don't take the time to clean it first.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, got my extractor from Angus on Saturday. Took it to a match on Sunday and everything worked well.

Not worried about the trigger spring issue. I'll Get a couple of factory ones for spares and let it be. The trigger pull difference isn't a deal to me. Just wasn't sure if it was a modded factory spring (which I thought it was), if it was a special spring I had to get from Matt or Angus, or if it was a spring out of another CZ model. It only has stuck on me in practice when I don't take the time to clean it first.

JayC - I wanted to chime in on your broken extractor issue. On my primary SP01, I've broken 5 extractors in the past year and a half (probably 15-20k rounds). After the most recent breakage, I noted that the end of my extractor protrudes about 0.3 mm forward of the plane of the breech face (for comparison, the extractor end sits flush with the breech face on another well-used SP01 that has not had extractor issues). In the past, I had checked this area and noted that it did not contact the barrel in battery, however it may have been contacting the barrel as it unlocked. To remedy this, I added a little more clearance to make sure there is no longer any possibility that the extractor is making contact with the barrel at anytime during the cycle. If this holds up, I figure the problem is solved. You may want to have a look at yours to see if this is a possibility. I'd be interested in what you note.

JayC - I wanted to chime in on your broken extractor issue. On my primary SP01, I've broken 5 extractors in the past year and a half (probably 15-20k rounds). After the most recent breakage, I noted that the end of my extractor protrudes about 0.3 mm forward of the plane of the breech face (for comparison, the extractor end sits flush with the breech face on another well-used SP01 that has not had extractor issues). In the past, I had checked this area and noted that it did not contact the barrel in battery, however it may have been contacting the barrel as it unlocked. To remedy this, I added a little more clearance to make sure there is no longer any possibility that the extractor is making contact with the barrel at anytime during the cycle. If this holds up, I figure the problem is solved. You may want to have a look at yours to see if this is a possibility. I'd be interested in what you note.

That makes a lot of sense. I have yet to break any extractors in my CZs, but I do carry a spare. I have broken 1911 extrators though. No tuning required on the CZ extractor. I just replace the extractor spring every 2 years with a Wolff XP spring.