Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Minute Of Angle

Minute of angle is constant, 1" at 100 yds, 2 " at 200 etc. we know that. Assuming the same bullet at the same velocity, the question is this: If you have .25" clicks at 100 yds, it is .5 at 200 yds and what after that? Does it increase exponentially or how. Is each click 1" at 300 per click and 2" at 400 yds per click or what ?

Does it increase exponentially or what.

Tightloop:

Think of your .25 inches at 100 yards in a more general sense of .25 of a minute!(which is an arc measurement, hence the "minute of angle"). Each "click" moves the point of impact of the bullet 1/4 of a minute of angle. This is a constant value, not exponential! there fore at 300yds it would move point of impact .75" at 400yds 1", at 500yds 1.25", at 600yds 1.5", at 700yds 1.75", at 800yds 2" at 900yds 2.25", at 1000yds 2.5" and so on... The formula for you would be .25X distance= impact shift. KURT

tl,

The equation for this relationship is:

S = R * Theta

S is the arc subtended by the angle theta. R is the distance from the target. The relationship is linear. I'll try to find a pic to clear it up.

In short, listen to Kurt....

very nice, thank you all. I try not to shoot at anything past 250 yds but my bud has a deer lease in West Tx, and wants to try his luck at 600 to 1000 yds with his bolt 50BMG.

Now I know why I failed trig twice!! If he still has any questions, I will send him to the Math Dept at Rice Univ.

Thanks again.

T Loop

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

A "mil" is an angle that subtends an arc 1m long at a distance of 1000 m (1000m * sin (1mil) = 1 m)

A "minute of angle" is 1/60th of a degree. There are 60 x 360 = 21600 minutes in a circle.

The circumference of a circle with 100 yard radius is 22619.467"

So there are 1.047 inches per minute at 100 yards.

DD

GG

he has actually shot several. None at over about 600 yds I think. Doesn't do much to them. Kind of pokes a half inch hole thru them and they fall down. 600+ grain bullets don't do much on 110 pound deer.

He's an idiot for hunting with it. If he wants to shoot 1000 yds get into that type of shooting. No animal deserves to be sniped at from that distance regardless of the circumstances.

Liota

Yup, 600 is short for a 50 BMG, he has it sighted in for 800, shooting a 650 gr HPBT of some kind. The guy who built my buds 50 used to work for the company, and said when he was active, he could hit a vehicle sized target at 1.5 miles...That is a little more what it was designed to do, not shoot a 100 lb deer at half a mile.