Rocket35

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1-05-08

Well despite my shoulders aching from the shots I received yesturday, I got my "homework" done in dryfire today. "No pain- no gain" right?! ;) There is a classifier match in Rockford, IL tomorrow that I am going to attend. Only 6 hours round trip. What the hell! No one should be able to accuse me of being a sandbagger! Anyway I worked on popper drills today. Routine took 45 minutes from start to end. I figured I would practice poppers for two reasons. The Pine Tree Pistol club loves poppers and a lot of classifiers seem to as well. So there is my philosophy on what to work on today.

The par times listed are what I can consistantly make at my current ability. Now if I bobble draw or reload- I don't make it. So I have to be pretty smooth to make it. Called my shots well. Using the latest tip from Taran Butler on the Practical Radio Show that Matt Burkett is putting out. I made about 90-95% of the par times today I would say. Over all a good day. It seems as though pounding the draws and reloads the other day really helped clean them up! The new popper targets I made out of paper worked great! They look like mini poppers at the distance I was practicing in my heated garage. So I am pleased about that. You can see pictures and more details on them in earlier posts of this diary. I also found that when using the timer all the time one could fall into a trap to beat the par time and rush the shots. I think it would be best to use the par times to test yourself and just use the timer as a start signal and use your vision as a speedometer the rest of the time. YMMV

Well here is the routine:

Popper Drills

• Half the drills are relaxed and half are surrender unless otherwise specified

• Use par times as a test- I find I rush too much when using them all the time

12- Draws- relaxed: 1 second par time

12- Draws- surrender: 1 second par time

10- 6 Poppers- right to left: 2 second par time

10- 1-6-2-5-3-4 transitions: 3 second par time

10- 3 reload 3 drill: 3.5 second par time

10- Poppers moving forward: 3 second par time

10- Poppers moving backward: 3 second par time

10- 3 reload 3- moving forward: 3.5 second par time

10- 3 reload 3- moving backward: 3.5 second par time

10- 6 Popper reload strong hand: 6 second par time

10- 6 Popper reload weak hand: 7 second par time

10- Vice Popidente': 5.5 second par time

10- El Popidente': 5.5 second par time

10- 6 Poppers on the move- right: 3 second par time

10- 6 Poppers on the move- left: 3 second par time

Edited by Rocket35

I didn't mean to mislead- I do, I bobbled 2 reloads today and maybe 2-3 draws. But after working the snot out of them on Wed, they are getting pretty decent. Maybe it was those shots?! :P

Gonna have to work on that double tap. :P

I thought I gave you the classes they are running tomorrow? I'm not going to shoot it. I am a sandbagger. :P B for life!!

Quick grab your airsoft!!

99-

Edited by JThompson

What the hell?! :blink: Don't you shoot anymore?! I will bring my own belt this time! :lol:

I shoot all the time... at least 4 times a week. As a matter of fact I will, most likely, practice after the match tomorrow, so if you want to stay and get some work done after... I'm all for it. I've said many times that I don't think these are a good measure of skill level and I'm not paying to run those when I can use that ammo to train on moving and working areas that I feel I need. I have to watch where the ammo goes right now. I figure I could bring that B up a good bit if I shot those tomorrow, but would I have learned anything I didn't before? Would it have made me a better shooter? I don't think so, so I will wait and shoot matches that have me moving.

If I wanted to I could have been drilling on those for two weeks now... I think those skills would help me very little in a real match... I want to use that ammo in a way that will help my overall performance the most... I'm not worried about the class I hold right now. ;)

OK- buddy. But I don't have the luxury of a heated indoor range at my disposal. So I guess I am gonna have to pay like the rest. I sure wish I could stay- but gotta get back to go to work! We'll see you tomorrow though. Thanks for the heads up on the CMs. I will start my visualization now! :ph34r:

OK- buddy. But I don't have the luxury of a heated indoor range at my disposal. So I guess I am gonna have to pay like the rest. I sure wish I could stay- but gotta get back to go to work! We'll see you tomorrow though. Thanks for the heads up on the CMs. I will start my visualization now! :ph34r:

Well the heat thing is relative, but it sure beats the hell out of shooting outdoors. :)

At today's match I am going to be really focusing on working on my goals:

Main Goal: Improve my mental game.

Sub Goals:

1- Visualize each stage run several times before shooting it.

2- Stop discussing past mistakes with others.

3- Properly prepare for every stage mentally (know all stage specifics and map out every reload and target).

4- Stop trying to shoot like other competitor's and shoot my own game.

5- Shoot present tense and avoid loosing your bearing.

It should be a bit easier today, because it is a classifier match.

Well today's match didn't go as well as I had hoped. But such is life. I did come away with a few things to work on. I am pushing the spits too much. I know- not as important as transitions and movement. But on these classifiers, only one had movement. I am coming from a heavier gun that really tamed things out I guess. I had 4 mikes today. <_< But had a great time talking with friends on the range though. :) My shoulder gave me a little trouble with soreness, but I don't feel that it was the contributing factor to my rather poor performance. I didn't work on my goals either, too much socializing! :surprise: I do need to buckle down when it is time to "go to work". But this is all for fun- and I enjoy talking with folks on the range. I will have to find a happy medium. Not sure how the scores turned out, 'cause the Classifier Calculator is "down" right now I think. So I will have to wait and see. Here is some footage of the match:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-Pt_RBT4QE

2- Stop discussing past mistakes with others.

take the good and leave the rest behind

Yep- I am trying to. I catch myself doing it, and know I shouldn't dwell on mistakes and talk about them with others. But sometimes it is just habit. I am working on it. I don't loose my "cool" like it did years ago. This is just a game. And feel I have matured enough to realize that. But still get frustrated when I make the silly mistakes that cost me a stage or even the match! So I will continue to work through these in pursuit of my goal.

Updates have been pouring in and here is my current event list:

Winter Indoor IPSC Tournament (Rockford, Illinois)- I'm in :)

Single Stack Nationals (Barry, Illinois)- I'm in :)

Indiana Section (Sellersburg, Indiana)- I'm on staff ;)

Area 5 Championship (Dorr, Michigan)- I'm on staff ;)

Summer Blast (York, Pennsylvania)- I'm on staff ;)

Limited Nationals (Tulsa, Oklahoma)- Confirmed vacation and have a slot B)

Wisconsin Section (Muskego, Wisconsin)- You can count me in :devil:

Wisconsin Point Series Championship- Held throughout the state- You can count me in :devil:

Area 3 (Louisville, Nebraska)- Working on the details ;)

Iowa Section (Osceola, Iowa)- TBA

Illinois Section- TBA

Minnesota Section- TBA

Wisconsin State IDPA Championships- TBA

The last two days' training consisted of detailing my goals. After talking with Jake Divita and with the help of Lanny Bassham's book I set up a pretty comprehensive set of goals in an organized fashion. With past few years' experience and rereading his book several times, have finally gotton me to where I think I know what direction I need to go. If you don't have his book, "With Winning In Mind", I highly recommend it! You can even buy it in Brian's store. ;)

Thanks Jake for helping me in the right direction. :cheers:

Main Goal: Balance my Mental Management System.

CONSCIOUS (thoughts)

1.Set tangible goals

2.Positive Reinforcement

• Visualize yourself as a Champion.

• If the stage is good- say “That was just like me” and replay the stage in my mind.

• If the stage was bad- start mental rehearsal of the next stage asap.

• Never talk about my or others’ mistakes.

3.Mental Rehearsal

• Rehearse shooting the match by shooting exceptionally well.

• Run a mental rehearsal before each stage several times.

• When shooting- focus on follow through and stop trying to make up time for errors

SUBCONSCIOUS (skills)

1.Train 4-5 times a week (Dryfire/Livefire)

• The day before- only do mental rehearsals

• Study COF’s if available to become as familiar with each stage and it’s specifics as if you wrote them yourself.

2.When you are training, be all there.

• Make it count as if shooting a match.

3.Track performance analysis

• Find your weaknesses and make them strengths

• Know your zero and capabilities

• Eliminate extra shots, penalties and strive for shooting 95% of the available match points.

• Keep a diary to track your progress.

SELF-IMAGE (habits and attitudes)

1.Identify the habits and attitudes that need to change

• Avoid bad attitudes

• Eliminate reinforcing mistakes by giving them improper attention.

• Again- Never talk about mistakes with others.

2.Set-up a new self-image that is in direct conflict of your old one.

• Reinforce your successes in your diary and tracking spreadsheets

• Forget your errors and move on to the new task at hand.

• Hold positive thoughts about yourself and others.

3.Apply a Directive Affirmation

I cause my Conscious, Subconscious and Self-Image to move toward being in balance, thereby increasing my performance without frustration. I am a Champion!