Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

reloading on a 550

I'm changing to an opengun in supercomp.

Would this be a good setup:

Dillon's sizer/de-capper.

Dillon's powder.

Redding comp seater.

Lee factory crimp.

Is it worth spending extra $$$ getting the comp seating die and the factory crimp?

I will be using starline brass and MG 125 JHP's if it matters for either sizing or seating.

JJ

I think the Dillon seating die is tedious to adjust since you have to screw the whole body in and out on the coarse 14tpi thread. But once you get it set, it will seat bullets just fine and should serve you well if you stick with one load.

I think the big advantage of the competition die would be if you changed bullets frequently and needed to be able to make controlled fine adustments and have a setting to record and return to.

I don't use the Lee factory crimp die on jacketed bullets in 9mm P or .45 ACP. Can't say if it is needed in Supercomp. Good for bulk cast bullets in mixed brass, though.

I use the std Dillon Die Set for both Super and Super Comp. When set properly (2minutes) it will deliver 7/8" to 1 1/4" at 50yards. The only thing I might add woukd be the Redding Comp Seating Die, I have been known to mess with load length from time to time and I know this is the best way to do that.

I try not to mix brass, I even sort my practice brass into the 3 types I usually have around, and it seems to work. More careful when using lead, it seems to be more sensitive to brass case variations than JHP's. I can't figure out why, but chronograph and group testing prove this, I can only assume that either there is a variation in length or thickness leading to concentricity issues.

I'm changing to an opengun in supercomp.

Would this be a good setup:

Dillon's sizer/de-capper.

Dillon's powder.

Redding comp seater.

Lee factory crimp.

Is it worth spending extra $$$ getting the comp seating die and the factory crimp?

I will be using starline brass and MG 125 JHP's if it matters for either sizing or seating.

JJ

I have the same setup on most of my toolheads and it works for me.

The seating die is easy to adjust and with the FCD all my ammo is fine in the gauge

You don't need the FCD, if it helps you something prior to that die needs attention. The Redding CSD is the BEST out there. I typically use a U-die, Redding CDS, and just about any quality crimp die.