Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who can work on my Colt Python in the DFW area?

HighVelocity

I have a 70's Python that when shooting DA, the cylinder turns slightly past where it should be and no bang. Single action is fine though. I'd really like to get it fixed locally and avoid the crazy shipping cost but want it to be in the hands of a gunsmith that knows what they're doing.

Thanks,

Gary

Gary, if it were mine I would send it next door to LA, have the fine folks at Clark look at it. Lots of the Colt smiths are getting on in years and don't do the work anymore, and you NEED a Colt smith to work on it. Real Colt smiths are getting REALLY hard to find.

I'm not sure that Tommy (the revolversmith at Clark's) works on Colts. If he does, I have a 60s OP that could use a trigger job...and the drive's about the same from where I live to there as it is from DFW. Then again, gas would be more than shipping it.

I'll call Clark and/or C&S on Monday. Thanks for the tips. Is there any reason why I should NOT send it to Colt?

Gary

Gary - I'm not sure they have anyone that can work on them anymore. I've been told that the reason they went to the newer lockwork is that the guys who built the old ones were retiring, and there was nobody who could do the hand fitting the old style actions required.

Besides, the way they charge for SAAs, an action job from them (assuming they can do it) would probably require a second mortgage.

I have a 70's Python that when shooting DA, the cylinder turns slightly past where it should be and no bang. Single action is fine though. I'd really like to get it fixed locally and avoid the crazy shipping cost but want it to be in the hands of a gunsmith that knows what they're doing.

Thanks,

Gary

Sandy Garrett of NVGW in Springfield, VA 703-644-6504. One of the best on revolvers, new and old. He and famed Reeves Jungkind are the best Python smiths out there.

MJ :cheers:

Jerry Moran is still in Michigan but no longer has a shop.

Reeves Jungkind did a Python for me a few years ago , I will see if I still have his contact info, his work is supurb!!!

PM sent with contact info

Tom

Edited by 9146gt

Thanks,

Gary

Sandy Garrett of NVGW in Springfield, VA 703-644-6504. One of the best on revolvers, new and old. He and famed Reeves Jungkind are the best Python smiths out there.

MJ :cheers:

I have had the opportunity to shoot Pythons done by both Garrett and Jungkind. Have known both since late 1970's. If Jungkind is more convenient i.e. drive too, then go with him , if he still does work. If it has to be "shipped" anyway, you can not go wrong with NVGW, Inc and Sandy Garrett for revos and son Robert Garrett for autos. They are absolute perfectionists. Such mentality and skill is not cheap. Tell 'em Martin Johnson sent ya.

What ever you do, take a Python, OMM, OMT, old Trooper, OM to someone who is totally familar with and has lots of experience with those actions. This probably means someone who is 60 years old or more and has been gunsmithing Colt revolvers before 1985 or so.

Martin

• 4 weeks later...

Pittsburgh Handgun Headquarters was a factory service center but I haven't had any luck securing a response.

The most heavily favored shop for E/Is at the Colt Forum is Colt. While I haven't sent back any sixguns yet, I did send in an old 1911 and it went well.

Supposedly they're charging about $250 for a retime and refinish with a four-week turnaround. Try calling them.

They're still doing the mid-frames.

Bill