Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light Grip?

JThompson

After reading Brians book again I began shooting groups at the beginning and end of my practice sessions. What I noticed is exactly what you have found. It is strange that before getting into this technical side of my shooting, I never even thought aboiut that type of thing. Now that my awareness is improving and I try and float the gun, and let it do it's thing, a lighter grip has made me more accurate.

Even when I'm shooting close and fast, I find that the light grip helps the sights return easier. I don't know why because that would seem the opposite to instinct but it seems that way to me.

By the way, when I say fast, that is a relative thing. You guys would probably call me slow!

My .02, JimmyZip :mellow:

Absolutely! I went through this discovery a month or two

ago and posted on the technique forum.

Always had problems making those 30-40yd shots or far out

steel with speed until I started to mess with the grip

presure. I found that my shots could be called at farther

targets if I let the gun totally do its thing. I then started to

play around with different presures for type of target and speed

of follow up shots. Close up 3yd hoser, tight grip driving sights

back on, farther out precision shots loose grip letting the gun pop

up to like a 45 deg. on recoil (floating I guess)...

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=54607

Alright I just can figure out this post topic hyperlink???? This on does not work

Its on the sec page of technique titled "Recoil, advise needed"

Edited by DIRTY CHAMBER

I shoot my best at distance with about 80% of my left hand pressure, 65% of right hand and just press the shot out. 0 = no grip at all, 100% is maximum force I can make. Both hands will start to shake at 85-90%, basically I want my left hand so hard it is about to shake and just less in my right hand. I don't shoot well at all with light grip pressure, and my tendency is to shoot with a lot less grip pressure than I need. I really struggle to put enough grip pressure on the gun for me to shoot as well as I can, for some reason I have always shot with soft hands and I am having a really hard time overcoming that.

I wonder if you guys are shooting normally with a TON of grip pressure and backing off a little feels significantly different yet still puts you in the pressure range you need to be in?

I shoot my best at distance with about 80% of my left hand pressure, 65% of right hand and just press the shot out. 0 = no grip at all, 100% is maximum force I can make. Both hands will start to shake at 85-90%, basically I want my left hand so hard it is about to shake and just less in my right hand. I don't shoot well at all with light grip pressure, and my tendency is to shoot with a lot less grip pressure than I need. I really struggle to put enough grip pressure on the gun for me to shoot as well as I can, for some reason I have always shot with soft hands and I am having a really hard time overcoming that.

I wonder if you guys are shooting normally with a TON of grip pressure and backing off a little feels significantly different yet still puts you in the pressure range you need to be in?

No this is much less grip than one would think... I'd say in the area of 30% of my normal grip also with almost all tension in my arms and shoulders gone too. I found that at 25yd I can hit this little popper (about a foot high and the sweet spot is about the size of a silver dollar) and hit it most every shot if I take my time. I've also taken to hanging a bowling pin from the rafters and shooting it from 25yds. If you can hit that baby swinging it's a scream. I hit that about 76% of the time when it's moving. Both of those two shots are made with the light grip and little tension I was talking about.

Edited by JThompson

Hmmm, food for thought Jim. I don't have any tension (none that I can feel) in my arms or shoulders even at top grip pressure. I feel it in my hands. Very seldom do I shoot a static shot though, I am usually entering or leaving a position, or moving in one form or another. Need to get on a square range and play with this stuff again, I haven't fired a round outside of a match in months and less than 500 rounds for sure outside of a match this year......

Hmmm, food for thought Jim. I don't have any tension (none that I can feel) in my arms or shoulders even at top grip pressure. I feel it in my hands. Very seldom do I shoot a static shot though, I am usually entering or leaving a position, or moving in one form or another. Need to get on a square range and play with this stuff again, I haven't fired a round outside of a match in months and less than 500 rounds for sure outside of a match this year......

Let me know when you can get a day off or a weekend and I will meet you down at the range and we can make a day out of it then get a couple beers and some food. I've been working hard at improving and am on the range at least five times a wek anyway. ;)

PS I have the classifiers for next months class match... if you want them.

Edited by JThompson

LOL, like I would actually benefit from that? If I practiced them I would probably put up a 30% match! I am better off with 5 minutes, LAMR, BANG!!!!!!!

I am planning on coming down for the classifier match though, gotta see Dan about a horse...... My classifications are all dropping, too much work, no dry fire and no live fire. Been on a steady decline for a year now, but that is life I guess.

If I can spare a day I will let you know, I would love to get some live fire in before the WIIT, but most likely won't. I'll be lucky to dry fire twice between now and then.

A lighter grip for me does work on the tighter shots.

My current goal is to make those same shots with my standard grip and quicker.

For me it's about prrrreeessssing the trigger and staying on the sight till it lifts.

I think this is a great place to make up some time.

My splits on a 15 yard open target may be .35 while a GM's is .25

But on a partial at 25 yards my split might be .60 -70 while the GM is at say .35