Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 problems

Law Dawg

About every four or five rounds that I load one of the cases hits the depriming resizing die. this only happens on the upstroke and it only happens on stage one. When this happens I have to tilt the case, so it aligns with the opening of the die. I'm using a dillon die and I'm loading 38 super. Any suggestions?

Your shellplate is probably too loose.  You should have your shellplate tightened down just to where it indexes freely - no looser.  The shellplate buttons may also be incorrect.  

Make sure you don't have any gunk in the recess in the shell plate that is keeping the case from being pushed all the way into the shellplate. One piece of cleaning media will keep a case from seating fully in the shellplate and cause misalingment with the sizing die. As this is happening every 5th case and the 650 is a 5 station press, seems like there might be a problem with one of the case recesses in it.

I have also discovered through the years that the black block that pushes the case into the shellplate can get dirty.  When this happens it just doesn't push the case in far enough into the shellplate  and then the case hits the sizing die.  This usually happens with the smaller diameter cases like 9mm/38 Super and 38/357.

Also check the spring in that black block-- mine had loaded so many rounds it was no longer strong enough to feed each and every case correctly-- a quick call to Dillon got me a new one in the mail, which fixed the problem completely.