Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the proper adjustment of the case retainer spring?

can't seem to find it in the manual

Thanks

I adjust it so that the case base just "clicks" past it into place as I slide a case into the shell holder. If I recall correctly, if you have set too tightly, it will rub on the shell holder as it rotates. When adjusted correctly, it just touches the case base enough to hold it securely in place, no more, no less. Just slide it forward and backward after loosening the retaining screw until this is accomplished.

Hope this helps.

Edited by BayouSlide

We generally recommend adjusting this spring so it is within .001"-.002" of touching the rim of the case. It is there to keep the case from backing out of the shellplate, not there to push the case into the shellplate. On some larger diameter cases, such as 45 Colt, 44 magnum, this piece needs to be backed out of the way, as otherwise when a case is slid into the shellplate the short bent end of this wire contacts the platform, preventing insertion of the case into the shellplate. Think of it as an adjustable locator button :ph34r:

From the You-learn-something-every-day department:

I started to post a completely different comment, but after reviewing the manual, I realized I've been misadjusting this part all along!

I've been using screw #7 (from the primer system diagram) all along, and have always been kind of disappointed with the adjustment options (gee, I wonder why). When loading .223 I found that the "correct" adjustment of #7 was so loose that I had to put a couple of washers on it to maintain the tension I wanted without #7 backing out completely.

Although I have found that a little contact between the locater tab and the case isn't bad a thing and I haven't had any priming problems in the calibers I've loaded (.32ACP/10mm/45 Colt/44 Mag/Spl/41 Mag/50AE/223), except for the odd flipped primer, but I'm pretty sure this happens when loading tubes not in the priming process.

At least now I can re-adjust knowing WTF I'm doing is right! The next thing you know, I'll find out you're not supposed to look down that hole when you pull the trigger...