Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Raynaud's Disease

Rocket35

I've had this since birth. Being from Minnesota puts me in the same sub zero cold winters as you. Can be a booger at times.

Chopper mitts with heat packs inside start getting used when it gets below 32 degrees. Having Frost Bite numerous times also adds to the problem.

The pain involved with thawing the fingers out can be intense at times :surprise: .

I don't know if any of the following will help --- but it's a quick summary from my Med-Surg nursing text. Nothing in the following should be construed as medical advice -- I'm clearly not qualified to dispense any such advice.

The exact cause of Raynaud's remains unknown. There are a couple of types -- primary and secondary to something else. Popular theories hold that it may be caused by an exaggerated response to sympathetic nervous system stimulation; it may also affect people with occupational related trauma to the fingertips, such as that noted in typists, pianists, and those who use handheld vibrating equipment. Exposure to heavy metals (e.g. lead) may also be a contributing factor.

Patient teaching should be directed toward prevention: Loose warm clothing should be worn as protection from the cold, including when the refrigerator or freezer is used or when cold objects are being handled. Temperature extremes should be avoided. The patient is encouraged to stop using all tobacco products, caffeine, and other drugs with vasoconstrictive effects (e.g. amphetamines, cocaine, ergotamine, pseudoephedrine). If symptoms are exacerbated by stress, coping skills need to be developed for anxiety-producing situations, e.g. biofeedback, relaxation training, and stress management have been effective for some patients. Immersing hands in warm water often decreases the vasospasm.

Routine follow-up is important, because Raynaud's is sometimes one of the earliest signs of connective tissue or autoimmune diseases.

Dude, anything that can lead to gangerine (sp) is probably something to take serious. Not to mention the possible ramifications if this is an autoimmune or connective tissue disorder (both survivable, but they suck).

Stop smoking, go decaf, see your Dr routinely and if other weird symptoms crop up, and stay in the game with us.

On the good side, it isn't a death sentence. It's an issue of changing some aspects of your life.