Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Deburring Idea

sleepercaprice1

I was talking to a machinist the other day about deburring machined parts. He told me that vibratory deburring is very common in the manufacturing industry for cleaning up small parts.

I showed him a trimmed .223 case that had not been deburred yet and asked him if he thought it could be deburred by the vibratory method. He seemed to think it could without being overly destructive to the case but wasn't real familiar with the specific method or the media type involved.

Does anybody have any experience in this industry or know anyone who has tried deburring by this method? I'd love to find a way to eliminate the deburring from case prep.

The case mouth needs to be chamfered, not simply deburred. The fastest way to reduce time when you trim rifle brass is either a Gracey or Giraud trimmer.

I'm familiar with both of the trimmers you mentioned and I understand how they work. My thinking is that a slight radius inside and outside on the case mouth might be adequate for loading boattail bullets. That is what I hope to achieve by tumbling with an appropriate media.

I have a couple hundred FC cases that I only load once. I'm going to do some experimentation with them and see what happens.

Just trying to think "outside the box".

One of the bad results you may get from a tumble deburrer is rounding of the rim. Remember any tumbling media aggressive enough to pull a burr off your case mouth is going to be doing the same work ALL OVER THE CASE. I'd pass on that idea....

You will need stones* that are larger than the neck ID but close to it. A triangular shape will probably be the way to go. It works and works well, but it isn't fast and the cases are going to look pretty rough when done, any shine they had will be gone.

'Stones' are just media, made of many different materials from plastics to metallic substances. Sometimes abrasive, sometimes not. Do some web-work looking at 'vibratory finishing' processes.

Have you tried just regular walnut media?

I trim with the Dillon and tumble with walnut media.

Admitedly I didn't really do a lot of testing (a whopping two whole groups) but I tested the above method vs. chamfering and deburring and didn't see a negative difference --- the chamfer and deburr group actually measured bigger --- with my short range 55 grain loads at 100 yards.

• 4 weeks later...
Have you tried just regular walnut media?

I trim with the Dillon and tumble with walnut media.

Admitedly I didn't really do a lot of testing (a whopping two whole groups) but I tested the above method vs. chamfering and deburring and didn't see a negative difference --- the chamfer and deburr group actually measured bigger --- with my short range 55 grain loads at 100 yards.

Me too.. this is one of those things that you need to try yourself. see if it really matters.. or matters enough to justify the time.

For me.. I couldn't tell any difference.. I trim with the Dillon, and tumble off the lube in corn cob, this gets all the burrs I can see.

For my bolt action rifle.. I've always chamfered the case mouths by hand.. for ARs and 3 Gun.. it's just not worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

At my shop we used to do quite a bit of vibratory deburring on brass parts we made for breathing apparatus.

The process needs to be done with the media in a liguid bath hence a waterproof tumbler (Expensive)

Usually there is a form of lubrication (detergent) One that doesn't discolor brass is (Expensive)

You therefore have to rinse and dry (Time Consuming)

It's an art not a science and quite a bit of trial and error to detirmine the method and time.

I forgot, what was the benefit again? :blink: ....... :blush: