Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slightly OT: EGW 10mm Undersize die on 650

I'm going to use an EGW undersize die on my more used 10mm cases. I've seen some here using it after a standard sizing die; is that actually necessary, or can the undersize die be used in place of the standard size die? I would think that with a carbide die and just .001 undersize it wouldn't be out of line to use it alone.

I use the EWG undersized die in .40 S&W and it is the only die I use. I find that it is a tad slower sometimes, but it gets the Glock belly out of range brass.

As a side note, I use N-320 powder and my brass, without resizing, will fit in a case gauge after shooting them. I have thought about using the EWG under-size die in a single stage press for range brass sizing the first time and have a regular die for my 650, to speed up operations.

Buddy

Thanks. I generally lube everything, including pistol cases used with carbide dies, simply because it makes the press operation much smoother.

I'll give it a run solo and see how it works. I didn't really want to have to pre-size either solo on my pot metal single stage or in a station 1 and 2 combo on my 650 with powder on 3.

i use the dillon sizer/decapper die in station 1 and the EGW "U" die in station 2. The dillon die is there only to help with the alignment of cases.

If you have the room in the Toolhead, that's a good trick. I've heard some complaints about too many cases snagging the U-die.

be

I use the U-die with absolutely no issues in my 1050. I do also lube my brass with Hornady one shot.

The U-die has virtually eliminated any chamber check problems. Now I only chamber check ammo for major matches, that's how confident I am. :surprise:

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got a chance to test mine, and at least with my used brass, a mixture of Starline and Remington, both nickel plated, I was able to easily size cases using the U die without any lube. I would normally use One-Shot.

This die doesn't look like it has the wide radiused mouth the Redding Pro-Series die I had been using, and I did have one case just barely snag on sizing but I think that will probably prove manageable with a reasonable, consistent loading pace.