Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spudgun 2008 - Canceled

Announcing Spudgun 2008!

The Idaho State USPSA Championship

You may recall Spudgun 2006. You may have been one of the lucky 76 that got to shoot Spudgun 2006. You may have even wondered where Spudgun 2007 went (there wasn't one).

Well, that same crazy crew that brought you Spudgun 2006 is proud to announce Spudgun 2008!

We are changing venues down the road a bit to Parma Idaho. This is the same range that you may know from the MGM Iron Man.

For 2008 we are expanding to 11 stages plus chrono to be shot over two days. This will again be a USPSA Level II match and we are positioned well as a warm-up for Area 1.

Match is 16 May through 18 May (Staff shoot for score on 16 May, regular match is 17 May through 18 May).

More information and match application is available at http://www.spudgun.us

Oh yeah...no potatoes will be harmed in the production of this match...other than maybe for lunch.

• 3 weeks later...

Just Shanghai someone and drag them along Matt! :D

For those wondering about hotels...

Ontario OR is the closest to the range (~15 minutes) but there is a large convention in town that weekend so rooms are reported to be a bit scarce.

Caldwell ID would be next closest (~30 minutes).

Closest airport with airlines would be Boise, ID (BOI) which would be ~60 minutes). Caldwell has a small civil aviation field as does Nampa, Ontario and just about every other small city around there.

• 2 weeks later...

Motel info has been added to the website.

We have worked out rates with two hotels in Ontario OR and one in Caldwell ID.

Our intent is that the match will be over early enough Sunday afternoon that there will still be time for those from out of the area to drive home or at least get a healthy start on it.

If you really want to shoot it all in one day we have a limited number of slots available in the staff match on Friday. Please contact the MD (mike@spudgun.us) to arrange.

My application is on the way! Been trying to shoot A's at 50 kneeling. Ouch. I've got a few months. This was a very nice match in 06 and has a great staff. I am really looking forward to it. Nate

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry for missing the posts guys. Been working too much lately and the email notification thing isn't working or isn't making it through the spam filters. :(

The match still has room for more. Either the MD or I will post here and on the website (www.spudgun.us) when it is full and then start a wait list. I haven't had a chance to catch up with the MD of late but I am sure if we were full he would have been hollering at me to get a note up here and on the website.

This match promises to be even better than the last one!!!

All CRO slots are now filled as of today. If you want to get on the CRO waiting list go ahead and fill out the CRO application and include it with your match application. If you get called up from the waiting list your match fee will be refunded and we will give you as much advance notice as possible.

Tim's reminder about the early bird deadline is a good one. Get those applications in the mail folks. You don't want to read about this one after the event wishing you had been there. :D

MATCH CANCELED

I received this from the MD a few moments ago.

"It is with great regret that we have to inform you that Spudgun 2008: The Idaho State USPSA Championship has been cancelled.

The number of entries we have received falls far short of what was needed to make the match financially viable. We are announcing the cancellation now for a couple of reasons.

As you are probably aware from looking at the stages, there is a great deal of construction that would have to go into these stages before setup and we cannot in good conscience begin spending money without knowing for sure that the club can break even on the match.

In fairness to those of you who have taken vacation time from work and made travel plans we hope this gives you all ample notice to be able to change your plans.

We wish to thank those of you who showed their support for the match and especially those of you who stepped up to help staff it. We apologize for any inconvenience canceling the match will cause.

No one is more disappointed in this outcome than we are. We will begin issuing reimbursement shortly."

Well----darn it!!!

Apps sent, lodging reservations made, vacation time arranged for. I was really looking forward

to this one!

You guys sure you aren't a little premature on pulling the plug? We only had maybe 30 signed

up for the Crazy Croc in July last year, but ended up with around 105 on Labor Day weekend.

Bill

I hear ya guys. I am not real happy about this turn of events either.

It was not my decision to make; the MDs made it today for reasons they felt were compelling. I know little more than what was in the announcement that was posted. Due to other demands on my time for the past couple months I have had little contact with the MDs.

So goes life.

To say I am disappointed is an understatement.

I had heard a couple of weeks ago that the organizers were considering

pulling the plug, and offered several suggestions to scale back just a

bit while still maintaining the quality of the match. The organizers

were resistant to the idea that less than 120 shooters would show up,

thus no changes would be necessary.

Big matches don't happen overnight; they are grown over the course of

several years from small matches, held consistently.

I would not expect to hear a match called Spudgun again.

Tim Egan

Idaho SC