Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can you load 7.5x55 Swiss on the 550B

jahomer

I am looking into to buying a 550B. However, when I am looking through the caliber conversion kits on Dillon's website, I do not see where the 550B will accomodate the 7.5x55 Swiss. This is one of my favorite guns to shoot and one of the main reasons for reloading.

Check the single stage press shell holder charts. You'll probably find the 7.5 matches up with something else strange, like 7.7 Jap. When you call Dillon, tell them you need the relevant shell holder, and a different powder drop tube. You can't have been the first, and whoever you get at Dillon will probably already have a post-it note about the 7.5 Swiss.

It depends on which brass you're using. If you're using 7.5x55 brass, according to my Hornady manual, it uses the same shellholder as .44 Mag/Spec. If you're using reformed .284 Winchester brass, you'll need the standard .45ACP/.308 Win version.

My stash is about 50/50, but I load 7.5x55 on a single stage press so it's not an issue.

We actually HAD some Graf & Sons brass for 7.5x55 Swiss, but between the time we worked up the 650 conversion and now, someone walked away with it.

650 conversion uses a C shellplate. I suspect on the 550 it will be either the #1 or the "L" shellplate, but want to be sure first. :ph34r:

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old post but I wanted to put current information to if so others will know. I too wanted to load 7.5 Swiss on my 650 so I contacted Dillon to order a conversion kit. I found that other than the shellplate and locator buttons, I could use my existing .30-06 case feeder parts. Dillon told me I needed a size C plate and #4 buttons. I received the parts last week and tried to use them this weekend. What I found was my PRVI 7.5 Swiss brass did not have enough rim to use the C plate and the cases were pulling right out and getting stuck in the sizing die. A call to Dillon found that I was told the wrong information and should have received a size L plate.

So to load 7.5x55 on a 650 you need the L plate and 4 buttons.

• 1 year later...

I hate to bring this old thread back to life, but I used the advise here to order a shell plate to load 7.5x55 Swiss on my Dillon 650. Found this thread via Google search.

I ordered the L shell plate and #4 buttons. I have some once fired Prvi 7.5x55 brass I want to load, but they were not even close to fitting in the L shell plate. I called Dillon and they are replacing it with a C shell plate. I will let you know how that one works out.

I just started loading it on my 550 using the #1 45/308 shellplate. I found that the privi brass had varying head/rim thicknesses. Some woudl go in and others wouldn't. Since the 550 shell plate holds the case against the base all I had to do was to loosen up the shellplate a little more and was able to make it work. I thought about loading it on my 650 and I am glad I didn't because the recess in the shellplate is milled into the center of the plate there is no way to adjust it like you can on the 550.

I never thought about trying the .44 shellplate on my 650 to see if it works. I and in the middle of prepping my 7.5 brass and will try some in my both the .45/308 and the .44 650 shellplate.

Neal in AZ

Dillon is very good about helping with problems such as this. A few years ago I called about 7.92 Kurz and while they did not have a set conversion kit for it they mixed and matched parts to make one. The only work I had to do was open the opening in the 7.62X39 powder funnel slightly with a reamer whose size was given to me by Dillon.

Edited by retarmyaviator