Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

55gr or 62gr Wolf ammo-Which is better?

gl

WOLF 52GR VS. 62 GR

Accuracy, recoil, making minor and any other considerations. If anyone has shot a volume, or has not, please state how much you have shot along with your comments. Chrono results? Accuracy results from different platforms. Comments?

Thanks!

Guy Hawkins

P.S. Anyone reloading cheaper than Wolf (or close to it) your comments and info will be appreciated as well.

THIS BOARD RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've had better results accuracy wise with 62gr hp, over 55gr fmj. Velocity was low if memory is right it was like 2600 or 2700. I've had good results function wise thru 2 of my ar's, the 3rd one needs some assistance getting the unfired round out of the chamber for UASC command. So I assume it is a little hard on the extractor while firing. I have gotten hits on 10-12" plates out to 300+ yards in 1 to 3 shots. I normally use it for local matches and hoser stages, it was nice to know that it would shoot well at distance though.

I've shot in excess of 1k rounds this year. I've not noticed any extra cleaning needed for it.

I would recommend anyone try it, it seems to be surrounded by urban legend and myth, however my results do not produce these situations.

Recoil seemed the same as my regular 62gr stuff.

Trapr

BTW, i've beaten people with it, who claim that they would quit shooting if someone ever beat them using Wolf.

Edited by bigbrowndog

I've had better results accuracy wise with 62gr hp, over 55gr fmj. Velocity was low if memory is right it was like 2600 or 2700. I've had good results function wise thru 2 of my ar's, the 3rd one needs some assistance getting the unfired round out of the chamber for UASC command. So I assume it is a little hard on the extractor while firing. I have gotten hits on 10-12" plates out to 300+ yards in 1 to 3 shots. I normally use it for local matches and hoser stages, it was nice to know that it would shoot well at distance though.

I've shot in excess of 1k rounds this year. I've not noticed any extra cleaning needed for it.

I would recommend anyone try it, it seems to be surrounded by urban legend and myth, however my results do not produce these situations.

Recoil seemed the same as my regular 62gr stuff.

Trapr

BTW, i've beaten people with it, who claim that they would quit shooting if someone ever beat them using Wolf.

LOL !!!! I am sure you have.

Guy

In my 16" barrel 55gr doesn't make power factor, the 62 does so the choice is easy for me.

3gun around here is rarely over 100 yards (we don't have the land for longer) and Wolf plain works at that range. Besides - seen the price of ammo & components lately?

I bought a bunch of the 62 grn way back when due to 1) I own 2 AKs in 223 2) to shoot at short range matches and 3) seemed like the mild Wolf load would not recoil as much as full-house 5.56mm imported miltary surplus.

I also use it in my RRA S.S. 16" AR. Bullet jacket is all copper. A washed steel jacket WILL be a problem on the 3gun steel we use - thanks for the tip. And, with my current supply of 1000 rounds, many of the cases actually "shaved" part of the jacket when the factory loaded them; high quality ammo this is not. But accurate enough to 100 that it works as intended.

I will likely start reloading the steel cases soon for use on stages that are very close range; the steel cases are apparently VERY consistent as to AOL are are boxer primed, plus you can be reasonably sure they are "once fired" since very very few reload them. I will NOT be going for 5.56mm load levels. Just a soft shooting load that meets minor.

Edited by Carlos

I talked to a tech at Wolf about the steel jacketed bullets. He said that they made the change early this year to keep manufactuing costs down. I have a couple of cases of recent 62 gr. hp so I tested with a magnet, and sure enough, they're steel. So, they're for paper targets only, and not for matches where they will be testing for steel bullets. I also have the remnants of a case bought a couple years ago, and they do not react to a magnet.