Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many mags are you SS folks carrying?

Paradiddle

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be going to 5 myself as some courses have as many as 30 something rounds and I don't want to do standing reloads. I have a Blade Tech Quad Pouch that will hold 4 with two almost on top of each other, but I don't like the way it adjust. The out side two are to loose and the inner ones to tight. I'm also thinking of doing the old drop a round into each of the inner two pouches to make the mag set higher to make grabbing them easier.

• 1 month later...
Thanks - looks like 5 is the plan. I was planning on using a loader mag as well. Is a "barney" mag one you carry in your pants pocket in case you really screw somthing up? I've not heard that term.

Are you guys carrying 5 putting all of them on your left side behind the hip bone, or do you run one behind your holster on the right side? Is getting a couple double holders and one single a good idea - I run a Wilderness belt and have a 34-36 inch waist depending on how much beer I've had....

Jeff

A barney mag is what you use to put the first round in the gun....from Barney Fife who only was given one bullet :P

So, you put a round in the chamber, put that mag back in your pocket, grab the other full mag from your pocket and put it in the gun. You've got 9 in the gun, five mags of 8 on the belt and your barney mag in your pocket. If you're tricky you keep an extra round to top off the barney mag so it's got 8 too. None of that matters if you're shooting .40 since you can put 9 in the first mag.

I've got a 31" waist and can't make two doubles and a single fit starting at the point of my hip bone so I ordered a Comp-Tac Belt Feed. Another option is to go with a quad pouch like the one Blade-Tech sells. It's either that, or I'm reaching back to my spine for the last mag or two!

http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/product_in...557b58637716ede

G-ManBart,

I like the look of that belt feed mag pouch and am in need of some SS pouches asap. I assume it is legal for USPSA, yes? Is the tension adjustable? Thanks for any info you folks can give me.

New to SS,

41mag

i have four safariland single mag pouches....1 barney in the left hip pocket...and my starting magazine in my left front pocket...for a total of 6mags and 48 rounds....if i cant finish a 32 round stage with that i would be very dissapointed in myself...we do have some long stages and i have gone down to my last round on a 40 round stage but still finished...im a big guy and wouldnt be able to reach a fifth mag on my belt :rolleyes:

Shooting SS last year I used and liked the Belt Feed too. The tension is semi adjustable, it is hard to explain but you do have control over tension, just not on a individual pouch basis so much. I had a double mag carrier I used in IDPA so I wear it behind the belt feed for 2 more. With a Barney mag and one in the gun thats 7 full mags and the Barney in a pocket. If I need that last mag, all the way around back, things have usually gone seriously wrong and I am trying to just pull out not zeroing the stage :rolleyes:

Another thing I like about the Belt Feed is that on a very short COF I take the mags closest to the body out so I have an unobstructed grasp on the outer ones for the fastest possible reload.

G-ManBart,

I like the look of that belt feed mag pouch and am in need of some SS pouches asap. I assume it is legal for USPSA, yes? Is the tension adjustable? Thanks for any info you folks can give me.

New to SS,

41mag

Sorry for the delay in replying. Yes, the belt feed is legal for USPSA matches. With single stack mags the inside edge of the outermost mag (where they measure from) is something like 1.25" from the belt so you're way within the 2" limit....nobody should have an issue there.

The tension is adjustable but it takes a little more effor than some other designs. Each holder has two screws for tension (top and bottom). The way they're stacked the outer two holders block access to the bottom adjustment screw of the inner two holders. So, you can adjust only the top screw of the inner two, or take off the outer holders, adjust both screws on the inner holders and put the outers back on. I found that simply adjusting the top screws worked great so I didn't bother with the second method....never had a mag pop out and never had a problem getting a mag to come out when I wanted it to. Really handy design.

As was mentioned already, on something like a classifier I'd often use just the outer two holders since they're farther from your body and it's easier to get at them. It's not a big deal, but it's a nice option to have. I'm really happy with the Belt Feed and Comp-Tac is a great company to deal with. R,