Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New SP-01 - Initial changes to make?

bp78

I picked up an SP-01 today to give Production & maybe SSP a try.

The trigger and slide are pretty heavy as is now with a 14lb recoil spring and the night sights need to go.

Do these adjustable LPAs drop into the CZ-SP01 without any slide milling?

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...&t=22164010

Or do I need to stick to the Angus sights.

What springs are suggested for 128-130PF 9mm with Winchester primers? I'm more concerned about simple reliability than absolute lightest trigger pull with only federal primers. (I still have thousands of Winchester primers to burn through)

I have a standard BladeTech DOH in my cart for a holster already.

Any other items to look at first? I don't have any action job plans for now but know that a trigger job and FPB fix are probably due down the road.

Thanks.

bp

And of course no new pistol thread is complete w/o a picture.

post-7730-1197338324.jpg

Here's most of everything you'll need: http://www.ghostholster.com/ - from the man himself (Angus Hobdell)

Yup, those LPA's will work, but you may want to check out the other options.

Check out Angus' selection of recoil springs, and you can try a lighter main (hammer) spring to get the DA down a bit. I tried a 15lb in mine - no FTI's in the few hundred rounds I put through it, but the DA was still too heavy (~9lbs). I also installed the nice hammer - some folks say it'll drop right in, but mine needed some work on the hooks for proper sear engagement. With the heavy stock trigger return spring, that hammer will get you down to ~4 lbs SA, but a good 2lbs of that is the return spring, so the SA break can feel a bit vague.

I've been running the 13 pound mainspring in my gun all summer with zero failures using Winchester small pistol (pushing 3,000 rounds) and an 11 pound recoil spring with at least 5 coils cut off it in my CZ 85. Very soft shooting with 147's at 126 to 128 PF.

Is the fixed sight a better choice than the LPA adjustable? I'm still fairly new to reloading and was concerned that future load changes might change the POI. Another local shooter also had a windage problem with that sight which I never heard if he was able to correct.

Any spare parts to buy now & keep in the range bag? I've heard at least one person mention a broken slide stop.

Thanks for the advise. I run an 11lb recoil spring in my 9mm 1911 and will take the advise on trying 11lb recoil & 13lb mainsprings.

:::waiting for EERW to chime in and school everyone:::

I am running an 11# recoil spring, and the factory mainspring with my sub 130PF loads without issue in my SP01 Custom. I also switched up to an extra power ejector spring, and that has made a difference as well. The biggest issue that I have had so far is with the factory magazine springs...both of mine failed in less than 3 weeks. I ordered and installed the +10% magazine springs, and they have resolved this issue as well. A VERY noticeable difference.

As far as what extra parts to keep on hand, I keep an extra FO rod, mainspring,extractor spring, recoil spring, and 2 magazine springs. No fear of croaking mid-match now.

bp,

As soon as Stuart (eerw) get's here you will be flooded with info. I bought mine through Angus. He put on the fixed sights and did the action work. I have ~6.5-7# DA (works with Winchester primers) and ~ 2.5# SA trigger. I forget what recoil spring rate I used. Stuart will advise you. There are a couple things that you should add to your spares list: Trigger Return Springs and Slide Stop. Trust me on these :angry2: ...

This forum rocks but there are some other Cz sources you should look at. They are the czforum and czshooters

As for IDPA, I think you will find that the gun is too heavy for SSP. Stuart can cover this but right now ESP is probably your only option.

Have fun,

Chuck

Edited by ChuckS

I have a backup SP-01 that came with the competition hammer from CZ (I ordered it that way).

Trigger wise, you still have work to do.

Bad news: the hammer still "cams" even with the competition part. this means the trigger is working to actually cock the hammer back slightly in SA mode.

Good news: its easily fixed. Besides the many good smiths here, the principles in fixing this are the same for a 1911 as for the CZ's SA mode. Its my belief that any reasonably intelligent 1911 smith should be able to correct the camming problem and get you a decent SA trigger.

I run:

Competition rear sight, FO front sight

11# recoil and 13# mainspring

Competition hammer made a big difference, just polish it and fit in

Grip tape on front strap and back strap

Polish every moving part

I also added the CZ 85 Combat trigger with the overtravel stop.

I wish I could shoot half as well as the gun is capable of.

Edited by Shay1911

Note on grips: I strongly suggest a coating of grip tape. Most ski shops (probably rare in FL) or skate-board shops carry it. Just trace and cut out a pattern to cover both grips and the front strap. Might not stick well to the wood; I suggest a cheap set of factory black plastic grips that have been de-greased.

Also, the key to CZ reliability is good clean magazines. Get the latest Mec Gar 16 rounders and the rubber base plates used on the P-01.

Edited by Carlos

My SP-01 is set up as follows.......11 lb recoil spring, F.O ft sight & a fixed rear, Matt Mink competition trigger job (you'll have to ask him what he did), polish the rails, ramp, and broke the edge of the bottom of the slide & breechface area (eerw can give you a good idea here what to do) and put on the slim aluminum grips. My SP-01 is so nice a friend held onto my gun for a week and ended up buying one.........I then had a duplicate built by Matt.

Also, the key to CZ reliability is good clean magazines. Get the latest Mec Gar 16 rounders and the rubber base plates used on the P-01.

I placed orders today at Brownells & Ghost for another 2 MecGars and a pile of springs; recoil, extractor, +10% magazine, mainspring, and trigger return as well as a DOH.

Thanks for the help.