Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

precision delta and oal

grandbagger

im using precision delta 180 fmj, dillon 650 and egw u, loading for 40sw

if oal is 1.150 and up a bulge appear in the bottom of the brass, which fail the egw chamber checker

if loading oal of 1.120 to 1.130 the bulge dis appear

the longer the oal the bigger the bulge

the shorter oal the bulge dis appear

am i missing something here? :unsure:

copy on the monster jam. I had a few when i first started using one brand of bullets. I thought it had something to do with the sizing of the cases. Picked up a EGW die thinking that was gonna remedy that issue. Nope. A few more jams. Picked up the Lee FCD and the problem seemed to have gone away. I don't use that brand of bullets anymore :angry: damn POS but it was cheap.

I haven't had this happen, but I would not doubt the bullets are at fault.

Out of 60K 180 HP Rainiers I've had 1 rejected bullet and a 230 .45 bullet mixed in. Out of 10K of the Precision Deltas I know I've rejected 200 or more for being deformed. I also had to tumble 2K just get some odd sticky coating off and a PD rep called me to bitch about me discussing it here without letting them know first. No mention was made about making it right, so a call from me would have been a waste of time. Between the call and the quality, they lost me forever. Now I just don't buy bullets if I can't get either of the 180 Rainiers. Unfortuntely I can't find the 180 Speer JFPs that I used to get a great deal on with E-Bay back a year or so ago.

I've also had PDs that were great, so buying them is a crapshoot.

Check to see if it is a projectile alignment problem. The deeper you seat the projectiles, the more the case forces correct alignment. The less insertion, the more dependant the you are upon the seating die alignment to the shell plate.

Place a failed round on a piece of glass and roll it around, paying attention to the projectile.

I had bullets from them, thousands of which were fine, but some as large as .4025". They should be a max of .400 or .4005 to chamber well. I have an STI which has a much tighter chamber than many guns and it is a problem. I've had reject ratios as high as 20%. Apparently one machine was making over sized bullets, so they are mixed in the batch. One other issue is with some of the bullets that are just slightly oversized: When you seat the bullets, they are not perfectly concentric with the case anyway, so this coupled with the bullet being larger a bit gives you more rejects. My recommendation is to check the bullets before you load them by passing them thru your gauge first - - unless you really like pulling bullets that is.