Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CCW in KS, MO, IL and IN

Going to be driving through these states and staying in Indiana for christmas. I have a valid CO carry permit. Which if any of these states can I carry in, and what can I do with my weapon in those states where I can't carry?

I suggest you personally go to the www site of the Attorney General of each state just to be sure. You can find links to all of them at www.MCRGO.org .....

Indiana has some of the most liberal carry and reciprocity rules in the county... so you would PROBABLY be okay there...I also know for a fact that you are out of luck in Illinois. That state doesn't even issue carry permits to their own citizens,,,,,so they surely don't honor out of state permits.

No disrespect to the fine members of this forum... but I wouldn't trust anyone to give me the "okay" to carry if they weren't my lawyer... Is it worth risking a felony charge to get this kind of information from an on-line forum????

http://www.nraila.org/recmap/usrecmap.aspx

Your permit seems to be honored in KS, MO and IN. Federal law allows for interstate transport which should cover you through the I-64 part of your drive through IL if it is locked and unloaded in the trunk of your vehicle. The good news is this is Southern IL which is embarrased by the Chicago crowd when it comes to gun laws. ;)

As MichiganShootists says, it is always a good idea to check with each State for current updates, these laws change with every legislative session.

Thanks for the info/links folks.

I'm not looking for expert legal advice, just opinions/experience.

From the www sites of IN, KS and MO attorneys general looks like they recognize my permit.

I called the IL attorney generals office, they transferred me to the state police.

Sgt. at the state police asked me "do you always carry a gun in your car on vacation"?

He then informed me having the gun unloaded and inaccessible to the driver is what I need to do. For my CRV he says putting it unloaded and in a case in the cargo area should work. The ammo needs to be separate from the firearm.

He then informed me to not disclose the fact that I have a weapon on me if I get pulled over, because it's just "too much information" since "we don't let people here carry guns".

Edited by rtr

I live in St. Louis Mo (for another 8 days at last) and will warn you that IL troopers have absolutely no sense of humor by and large about carrying in their state. I would not even keep any ammunition in the same container as the gun. There is a story circulating around (not sure if it is true or not) about an auto accident that occured on one of the bridges over to IL. A Missouri trooper wandered over onto the IL side of the bridge and was promptly snagged by the IL troopers for carrying a weapon in the state.

Again, possibly urban legend but certainly keeps me on my toes!

+1 on Illinois cops.

Every time I drive the length of that state to get to PASA Park... I have my guns locked in a container and locked in the trunk. Then I lock an ammo box and also lock it in the trunk.

They are nasty with their own citizens and really seem to "get off" when they see and out of state plate......

Especially one like mine that reads 5GUNEXP :lol:

Or Chris Martin's old Michigan plate which was ARMED45