Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Required Reading

Jake Di Vita

Body for Life - Bill Phillips

I can vouch for Bill Phillips' workout, it's what I use. It'll change your body quickly.

I heard another good book would be Explosive Power Plyometrics, in fact any book on plyometrics would be helpful...plus there's lotsa great stuff on the web.

One other thing that I've found helpful. I have, genetically, scawny legs which are great for distance running, but lacking for sprinting (like we experience), so I've focused a lot of leg exercises, specifically I like this version of the lunge: http://www.cbathletics.com/issues/41.htm

Hope this helps!

I'll second the Body for Life book and add that one shouldn't stop there and should read every decent book and magazine that they can. My club gets at least five monthlies and thery free to read.

I can't second the Arnold book for beginners. The training volume in Arnold's books are way too high and out of date. Makes me wonder if he wanted to intentionaly over train all his readers so they couldn't get bigger than him. The science of sports performance has evolved light years since that book was first published.

The problem I had with Body For Life is that nowhere in the book does BP talk about warming up or cooling down - absolutely essential to avoid injury. His instruction is just jump right into a workout that will rip muscles and tendons, and perhaps permanently injure, any new exerciser foolish enough to take his advice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry I'm so late on this thread, I just noticed it posted in it's own spot. An excellent way of increasing your skills is an often overlooked sport, Basketball. Its a game of superior hand-eye coodination, but the real advantage is all of the quick start and stop motion. It will teach you how to move quickly with explosive speed and to set-up, stop, and fire a shot (basketball) at the hoop. It's a great winter sport to keep you moving during the "off' part of the shooting season. For more information on movement, go to www.tti-intl.com and check out the shooting tips section.

Erik

• 7 months later...