Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What recoil spring ?

cking

I've lightened my slide to 12oz, no recoil guide just a plain bushing barrel. Running a 14lb ISMI now, works fine, but should I try a 12lb ??????? Whole gun weighs 34oz. its a 5 inch sti 2011 tactical.

Bought 6000 rounds of Winchester white box 165grain. So have to stick with that round for awhile.

Thanks in advance.

What mainspring? What firing pin stop geometry? Springs are a system of components that work together.

Making assumptions, 17 pound mainspring and a typical stock firing pin stop I would be looking in the 10-12 pound range for a recoil spring, fixed rate ISMI is what I prefer.

try it.

I don't see a problem with the 12 lb spring as thats what I use. My slide is a bit over 10.5 with sights etc.

go by feel also, not just what we say. Buy each different weight and try them. See how it feels to you.

try it.

I don't see a problem with the 12 lb spring as thats what I use. My slide is a bit over 10.5 with sights etc.

go by feel also, not just what we say. Buy each different weight and try them. See how it feels to you.

And make sure it functions 100%.

BK

I've lightened my slide to 12oz, no recoil guide just a plain bushing barrel. Running a 14lb ISMI now, works fine, but should I try a 12lb ??????? Whole gun weighs 34oz. its a 5 inch sti 2011 tactical.

Bought 6000 rounds of Winchester white box 165grain. So have to stick with that round for awhile.

Thanks in advance.

While the suggestions shown here will work out fine for the posters, and can be used as an experimenting platforms, it is best if you take a few springs to the range along with a few rounds of your new ammo. Do some "double tapping" and check for grouping (second shot) proximity. That should be your guide.

While mainspring weight and firing pin stop geometry can influence your overall recoil management/resistance, they should be looked into separately. Most production manufacturers will use the "original" J.M. Browning " approx. 1/4 circular" geometry with a 19+lbs. mainspring. There is nothing wrong with that set-up, and it will work fine. It can be tuned further if you choose by a "trick knowing" custom competition 'smith, but it is not mandatory. If anything I personally would prefer to keep my mainspring weigths higher to promote faster ignition (lock) timing.

If you were to increase by much your recoil spring weight, then it would be advisable to re-consider changing your mainspring weight to a lower rate, as going down in mainspring weigth will mantain your safety factor ( if existing) formula with the heavier, harder, jarring slam provided by the heavier recoil spring.

Again, your main concern for recoil spring rate change should be your "individual" reaction and performance delivered on that "elusive" one hole sized pair with the ammo at hand. IMHO. :ph34r::ph34r:

Sorry about the edit !!

Edited by Radical Precision Designs