Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Calamity Jane

Calamity Jane

Got my dry fire in at 0430 this morning. Felt good despite the early hour. :)

Had to do it that way because tonight the dry fire range is going to be turned into a disco! Yep, you read it right.

My sisters are coming over and we are going to have a night of getting our groove on in the basement. My niece is getting married the weekend after Nats and I'm determined to party like a college freshman. THEREFORE one must train to have a good time!

The electric slide, boot scoots boggie, fox trot, macarana (?Spelling) look out here we come!! :goof:

Wish my buddy Renee was here.

Please tell me there will be a few bottles of Boone's Farm floating around.

Oh...there better be pictures to share!!!

:roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol:

Dance practice went really well last night. It was fun!

Here's the way I see it:

• Proper dance preparation = decreased alcohol intake
  • Poor dance preparation = increased alcohol intake

I'm planning on being prepared ;)

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Load and Make Confusion

I really don't want to talk about this but I'm going to share it because it's "part of the journey".

I'm going to try to refrain from course language, gestures, eye rolling, and sighs to communicate how I feel about the chronograph. It will be difficult, but I'm going to try and take the high road.

On Thursday I chrono'ed a VVN350 8.0 gr load that I really like at 165.5 PF

At A5 I shot a VVN350 8.3 gr load that made 173 PF

At Indiana State match I minored with VVN350 7.5 gr at 163.5 PF...but chrono got taken out of the match

At A6 I chrono'ed at VVN350 7.5 gr load that squeaked by at 165

Power factors of 165- 170....I am one with the gun. I love to shoot in there. The probelm is taking ammo that chrono's at home in that range RISKS not making major.

Why you ask??

Let's see...What variables can screw up your match and take your points away.

Let's list them:

• humidity
  • temperature
  • dirty gun vs clean gun
  • ammo stored in humidity..where is your ammo stored during a 3 day match?
  • variations of chrono graph machines (we have 2 and both register different readings with same ammo)

I'm sure there are more but those are the ones that seem to bite me.

I'm urked that I have to load up my ammo just to be SURE I get by chrono. :angry2::angry2::angry2::angry2:

But that is the only way to be sure related to all the variables.

So today I bumped it up to 8.3 gr but because I wasn't checking often it loaded heavier at 8.5-8.7 gr. We chrono'ed those with our old chrono at 177PF. The infa-red chrono wasn't working right. But in the past the "old" chrono registers about 3 power factors higher than the infra-red one. So on a Ken Skeeters infa-red chrono that would read around 174. Which is still hotter than what I like to shoot.

It's a freak'in science fair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I shot the supposed 177 PF through my gun. Freestyle it doesn't bother me to much, but my WH and SH shooting was a litte poorer. The other trouble I had was the gun heated up in a way that I haven't experienced before. The beaver tail and slide got so hot I could not hold the gun. I regret making fun of my husband who has made a gun cooler in the past.

I'm frustrated with the science fair. I'm also physically tired.

So here is the plan:

Drink a glass of wine before bed

Wake up in morning and dry fire

Go to church and pray

Back to the range for live fire tomorrow afternoon to assess the ammo situation further

Where I would like to be is PF of 170 or 171!

If this game were simply about pulling the trigger it would be SOOOO easy!!!!! It's not. It's beautifully complicated much like myself. I still love it even though at times it makes me want to drink more than I should. ;)

Jane,

Bob has nothing but solid info --- including verifying and final sighting in with rounds pulled from the Nationals bullet supply....

I hear your frustration --- been there, done that. 165.xx at Summer Blast this year --- just a little close for comfort; but the gun's sure comfy to shoot....

I agree ...... I couldnt quote an exact PF from any of the 6 major matches I've shot this year, but I know I'm somewhere around 171~175 PF with my load. Nationals means new brass to me, and that should bump my PF slightly. Probably be about 175 at Nats.

I don't know ...... I just shoot it. Sort of like Nike B)

(maybe it's because I'm listening to the "Brain-Washing Radio" whilst I load)

Thanks guys!

I've got just a few more things to say about this...and then I'm moving on.

I can feel EVERYTHING about the gun. Anything changes with the gun and I know it. When I was shooting limited and Dave was loading ammo, I could tell when he changed something. "What did you do to the ammo?" I would say. He would then confess a little change that he made and would tell me, "it's a small change that shouldn't matter." I WOULD ALWAYS FEEL IT.

But here is the thing that burns me.....PF of 165-170 is legal ammo. It is major power factor! But I can't take ammo that chrono's that because I risk not making major beause of DIFFERENCES in chronographs first of all. I have 2 chronographs and both of them read my ammo differently...WHICH ONE IS RIGHT??? I have to make my ammo say BOTH of them are right. THIS MAKES ME MAD!!!! :angry2:

Now with all of that said....I'm moving on.

Chrono strategy:

Chrono with a clean gun (it's going to be pretty clean each day only shooting 4-5 stages a day)

Chrono using new brass only (match ammo will be new brass only)

Chrono using BOTH chronographs (infa red goal: 171-173, ambiant goal: 175-177) I'm still :angry2:

Load match ammo in small batches (100-200 rounds at a time) with chrono check in each batch

Store match ammo somewhere protected and safe from environment

Shoot and shut up...it's not going to matter because I am prepared to shoot this match with any PF of ammo

I'm off to church to pray. That's also a good strategy. ;)

Have you been shooting the same lot of powder through that whole time? Or are you shooting random 1# jugs or something? What about powder storage? Leaving any in the powder measure, or back in the container each time? Maybe after Nationals its time to consider a different powder, or something...

Frankly, chrono is a joke in our game. It only catches those who make a minor mistake, not those who are hell-bent on cheating. And, the equipment is neither calibrated to a known standard, nor built with tight enough tolerances to guarantee that its registering the actual speed of the bullet. CED claims 99.8% accuracy on their chrono - knowing about the signal strengths involved in the optical triggers, though, I'm not sure I think that's correct (though maybe they've played some magic with the infrared screens or something....). And, it doesn't account for differences between units. Make sure your chrono is at 10 feet, too, and all that happy crap. In fact, it wouldn't hurt to put it at 12-15 feet, in the end.

That said, I've been surprised at how consistently I've chrono'ed this year. I don't own one, myself, at this point - I've been doing all my double-checking up at Bob's. My match measured PFs have been within 2 PF of what we measured when the ammo was loaded...

Have you been shooting the same lot of powder through that whole time? Or are you shooting random 1# jugs or something? What about powder storage? Leaving any in the powder measure, or back in the container each time? Maybe after Nationals its time to consider a different powder, or something...

Frankly, chrono is a joke in our game. It only catches those who make a minor mistake, not those who are hell-bent on cheating. And, the equipment is neither calibrated to a known standard, nor built with tight enough tolerances to guarantee that its registering the actual speed of the bullet. CED claims 99.8% accuracy on their chrono - knowing about the signal strengths involved in the optical triggers, though, I'm not sure I think that's correct (though maybe they've played some magic with the infrared screens or something....). And, it doesn't account for differences between units. Make sure your chrono is at 10 feet, too, and all that happy crap. In fact, it wouldn't hurt to put it at 12-15 feet, in the end.

That said, I've been surprised at how consistently I've chrono'ed this year. I don't own one, myself, at this point - I've been doing all my double-checking up at Bob's. My match measured PFs have been within 2 PF of what we measured when the ammo was loaded...

I use #4 lb jugs of powder and do take note of the lot number.

I AM GUILTY of leaving powder in the loader and not returning it to the jug after a loading session. :unsure:

We measure WITH A TAPE MEASURE 10 feet from the first screen to where the gun is held. Now with that said, the rule book says a minimum of 10 ft. However, what if some wise guy wants to chrono at 15ft!! That would probably make a lot of guns go minor. What I'm trying to say is the rule book should say 10 feet PERIOD!! No minimum no maximum...10 feet period. :angry2:

Chrono is a joke...we agree on that!

Now with all that said.....VVN350 8.3 grains I KNOW will make major. That's what I'm going to load and shoot. I'm not going to risk going minor and I'm not going to load one load for chrono and another to shoot. So there you have it....8.3 grains.

I'm done belly aching...I'm moving on :excl:

Tonight is our last league night. The focus will be akward starts and swingers.

I use #4 lb jugs of powder and do take note of the lot number.

Unless you changed lot numbers in the middle of all that, that won't be your issue, then...

I AM GUILTY of leaving powder in the loader and not returning it to the jug after a loading session. :unsure:

I've had bad luck in the past with that powder and that practice... FWIW...

We measure WITH A TAPE MEASURE 10 feet from the first screen to where the gun is held. Now with that said, the rule book says a minimum of 10 ft. However, what if some wise guy wants to chrono at 15ft!! That would probably make a lot of guns go minor. What I'm trying to say is the rule book should say 10 feet PERIOD!! No minimum no maximum...10 feet period. :angry2:

I agree - 10 ft +/- 1 foot (I think that's what I submitted when shred and I worked up the proposal that became the new chrono rules...). 15 feet probably isn't enough to make a bunch of folks go minor, but...

I agree - 10 ft +/- 1 foot (I think that's what I submitted when shred and I worked up the proposal that became the new chrono rules...). 15 feet probably isn't enough to make a bunch of folks go minor, but...

Really....perhaps you should explain why.

Dave you need to buy a chrono. You are missing out on the ULTIMATE science fair experience. The way you like to keep records and such...this project was MADE FOR YOU!!

Really....perhaps you should explain why.

Cause the 5 foot difference is not enough for most folks' loads to lose enough velocity to take them minor. There's a figure floating around about how much we lose per foot of travel in sea level air at nominal density... I forget what it is... but we decided that 5 feet isn't enough to make, like, a 2 PF difference or anything... If you have a 5 PF margin, you're pretty well insulated, assuming the chrono station is run intelligently and properly.

Dave you need to buy a chrono. You are missing out on the ULTIMATE science fair experience. The way you like to keep records and such...this project was MADE FOR YOU!!

Believe me, I've done plenty ;) I haven't had to buy one, because I've been lucky enough to know folks with them and been able to borrow them when I needed them. So... Remember my .38 Supercomp load development stuff?? That was on DJPolo's chrono, mostly.... :D

Saturday

Loaded 500 rounds

Cleaned gun

Dry fired

Monday

Dry fire session in the morning

Last League Night

Well this was the last scheduled league night. It was Chun-Yu, Dave and me. Everyone else has moved on with other commitments. I sort of feel like the last one standing. ;) I'm looking forward to moving on with life also...but first I must finish strong. Because of our small number tonight my boys graciously agreed to be the range staff. Jackson was the RO and Byran was the score keeper. This helped us GREATLY. Thanks boys. I'll pay you later ;)

The focus tonight was awkward starts. We did: unloaded gun off table, out of a lounger and grab gun off table, engage targets through low port, backing up stage, swinger through a window, swinger with a no shoot,etc...

I also did some 40 yd and 25 yd work with the hotter loads. Don't want to talk about it. :angry2:

Wednesday will be the next range day. I'll be loading, shooting, and will chrono with the infra red and ambient light chrono's.

My life is consumed and has been consumed with pursuing shooting excellence for quite sometime. I was thinking about why I'm doing this this morning during dry fire. I tear up when I think about it. I know why I'm doing this and I know why I can't quit. It's almost finished. I'm ready. I'm going to accomplish that which I've always wanted to achieve. I'm going to return to Tulsa and shoot free. :)

You're not the last one standing... school may "start" for me next week, but I'm just doing research and am not taking any classes, so I really only have 2 meetings a week with my advisor and do whatever I want the rest of the week. I have been known to take mornings off to go shoot instead of doing work. :) Lately, I've been starting to feel guilty if I go to sleep without having done any live/dry fire that day...

You look to be in good shape for Nationals, and I'm sure you'll do great! Btw, if you happen to run into Jessie Abbate, can you get me her autograph?? :wub::lol:

You look to be in good shape for Nationals, and I'm sure you'll do great! Btw, if you happen to run into Jessie Abbate, can you get me her autograph?? :wub::lol:

Sheesh, between you and Coach, all I'll be doing at Nats is going around and getting autographs from pretty women! :)

I saw the squad schedule this morning. It's funny how things always seem to work out. Looks like I'll be shooting with XRE and Catfish as well as another buddy John F. I couldn't be more pleased. :D I didn't request Dave Re and he didn't request me....but some sort of cosmic twist of fate brought us together. I'm looking forward to the experience. :)

Dry fire

300 rounds live fire

Loaded 300

Went to the range this afternoon and just sat on a bench. I had 300 rounds to shoot and I didn't know what I wanted to do. So I just sat there and waited till it came to me. I ended up doing this:

25 yd off a rest and free style

40 yd off a rest and free stlye

5yd, 7 yd, 10 yd, head shots only with a no shoot (I gave myself only the A zone of the head)

15 yd paper, draw, 2 shots, reload to weak hand, 2 shots

15 yd paper, unloaded off a table, 2 shots, reload to weak hand, 2 shots

15 yd paper, seated, unloaded off a table while sitting, 2 shots, stand up reload to weak hand, 2 shots

On the shots to the head I did standing draws and then I did it with some movement. I would start to the side using a barrel as cover...pop around the barrel and engage the head. The thing about shooting a dot is you have to know where to put that dot on up close head shots! That's what I was trying to learn today.

My practice from this point out really is about tuning up little skill sets. I feel like I've got the context work down pretty well.

Because there are no matches to go to, I will be taking this weekend off. Dave and I are going to do some shooting and chrono development over the weekend. Then I will compete September 5th and 6th to get those competitive juices flowing again. That should close out my training. ;)

Looks like were squadded together for nationals, look forward to shooting with you and David.

Flyin

I was glad to see your name on our squad ;)

Idle Zone

It was tough to get to the basement tonight to dry fire but once I did I enjoyed it. I always do. :D

I'm in a peculiar spot in my training which I'm going to call the idle zone. I'm just hanging out waiting to shoot this match. I know I'm ready and any additional training isn't going to change the outcome at this point.

SOOO..I'm trying not to over train....trying not to over practice.....keep it fresh....practice the skill sets but not necessarily as they are seen at Nats etc... Have fun....dance with the gun (I play music during dry fire) Stuff like that. I'm sort of tapering my training but not exactly.

This is a tough spot....cause I'M READY!!!! I've done the work now it's time to shoot!

Hi Jane,

Yes, you ARE ready.

Between now and then, do the technical stuff.

Confirm Zero. clean Mags, and gun and shoot a little. Chamber check ammo. I know some use the ammo checker, I use the barrel out of the gun. If it goes "thunk" and then just falls right out when you turn it over (the barrel) you'll have no problems out of the ammo. :)

New Battery in the scope (prior to confirm Zero) ect.

You know the drill. It is just 3 - 6 stage matches in 3 consecutive days so don't sweat it.

ENJOY the trip ! (stop and look at the view too)

Hop

Hi Jane,

Yes, you ARE ready.

Between now and then, do the technical stuff.

Confirm Zero. clean Mags, and gun and shoot a little. Chamber check ammo. I know some use the ammo checker, I use the barrel out of the gun. If it goes "thunk" and then just falls right out when you turn it over (the barrel) you'll have no problems out of the ammo. :)

New Battery in the scope (prior to confirm Zero) ect.

You know the drill. It is just 3 - 6 stage matches in 3 consecutive days so don't sweat it.

ENJOY the trip ! (stop and look at the view too)

Hop

Thanks Hop!!

BTW...I bought 6 batteries for my scope the other day. :cheers:

Dry Fire

Chrono test loads

The science fair is good for me. I am methodically and with great care loading every single bullet and then testing them. It's not destroying my confidence...it's building it. It's a good thing.

I will make major. It's just a matter of how far above major I will be. I've got more testing to do before I'll make a final decision.

Finished loading match ammo

Chronograph check on match ammo

Sighted in gun with match ammo

Live Fire 350 rounds

Live Fire Session

10 yd progression drill (1 shot, 2 shot, 3 shots, 4 shots, up to 6 with par time 2.5 sec)

WH @ 15 with reload

SH @ 25 with reload

Load off table

Out of lounger

Swinger work through a window engage at top of arc

I've worked through my chrono anxieties and I'm confident that I will make major no matter what the weather condition is. Gustav could stall out over Tulsa and we could be shooting in mud up to our ankles but my ammo is still going to make major :)

I'm very PROUD of the training I did in August. I got through the most difficult month of training. Now it's time to shoot.

This next week: dry fire, live fire Thursday, compete Saturday and Sunday.

I'm ready to: wear girl clothes again, smell like something other than sun screen and bug spray, and have time to watch TV with my boys.

Dry Fire

Loaded 300 rounds for Thursday practice

I'm on the final countdown. I told Dave tonight, "I've been faithful with what I've been given and I've done all I can do." He simply said, "Yes you have."

The final countdown looks like this:

8. Tomorrow brings more dry fire and loading.

7. Thursday...live fire practice

6. Friday....dry fire

5. Saturday...steel match...shoot back up gun in addition to regular gun

4. Sunday...USPSA match

3. Tulsa

2. Tulsa

1. Tulsa

I'm overwhelmed looking at the end on paper. Tears....running down face at this moment.

Dry Fire

Loaded

Cleaned Gun

Bought party dress

Yesterday was a climax of frustration at work. I can hardly wait to get into the car with my husband next week and head to Tulsa. The farther we drive away from my work place the happier I'll be. :lol: To relieve some of my stress I headed to the mall after work yesterday. The mall is conveniently located very near the hospital :) I bought this incredible yellow/gold silk dress to wear at my nieces wedding. I put it on for Dave and he said, "Wow!" It is a "Wow" dress. And I am SOOO going to wear it! It's probably not the best choice to "party like a college freshman" in because sweat and silk don't mix to good, but I'm going to wear it anyway!! I'm looking for some leopard skin sling back pumps to put with it today.

OK...why am I going on and on about shoes and dresses? Here's why....I'm planning my next step after Nats.

In WWIN, Lanny Bassham talks about always having a next goal in mind so when you achieve your goal you don't mentally crash. I mentally CRASHED after Nats last year and I'M NOT DOING THAT THIS YEAR!! :excl:

Here is a list of things I'm going to do after Nats that I'm really looking forward to:

• party at my nieces wedding while looking really good
  • start exercising again
  • plan a Christmas vacation with my husband someplace warm
  • go hunting with my brother and kill a deer with a shot gun
  • take a defensive pistol, rifle course
  • CLEAN and organize my house

I have spent an incredible amount of time pursuing my shooting goals and I do not regret a MINUTE of it. I've always wanted to take the playing field prepared, confident and free. I am. The experience has changed me. The outcome may still be the same but I am not the same. Perhaps the journey has been the reward. :cheers:

Dry Fire

Loaded

Cleaned Gun

Bought party dress

Yesterday was a climax of frustration at work. I can hardly wait to get into the car with my husband next week and head to Tulsa. The farther we drive away from my work place the happier I'll be. :lol: To relieve some of my stress I headed to the mall after work yesterday. The mall is conveniently located very near the hospital :) I bought this incredible yellow/gold silk dress to wear at my nieces wedding. I put it on for Dave and he said, "Wow!" It is a "Wow" dress. And I am SOOO going to wear it! It's probably not the best choice to "party like a college freshman" in because sweat and silk don't mix to good, but I'm going to wear it anyway!! I'm looking for some leopard skin sling back pumps to put with it today.

OK...why am I going on and on about shoes and dresses? Here's why....I'm planning my next step after Nats.

In WWIN, Lanny Bassham talks about always having a next goal in mind so when you achieve your goal you don't mentally crash. I mentally CRASHED after Nats last year and I'M NOT DOING THAT THIS YEAR!! :excl:

Here is a list of things I'm going to do after Nats that I'm really looking forward to:

• party at my nieces wedding while looking really good
  • start exercising again
  • plan a Christmas vacation with my husband someplace warm
  • go hunting with my brother and kill a deer with a shot gun
  • take a defensive pistol, rifle course
  • CLEAN and organize my house

I have spent an incredible amount of time pursuing my shooting goals and I do not regret a MINUTE of it. I've always wanted to take the playing field prepared, confident and free. I am. The experience has changed me. The outcome may still be the same but I am not the same. Perhaps the journey has been the reward. :cheers:

Glad to see your goals are non Uspsa related. It works for me also, I usually take a long time off so when the new year gets hear I have a hunger for it.

My goal is nothing more than spending as much time with my family as I can. My oldest just turned five and growing up fast.

Look forward to shooting with you at Nationals

Flyin