Calamity Jane

Calamity Jane

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax - for starters ;)

ETA - you were probably having a bout with parallax, then...

Basically, you can get the gist like this - you ever notice how when you're sitting in the passenger seat, and you look over at the speedometer, it reads differently than if you're the driver? (assuming its an analog gauge). That difference is due to parallax. There are some diagrams in the article above...

On a scope, what this boils down to is that your eye, the target, and the projected image of the dot (or the reticle in a normal scope) are three different objects. Put the gun in a rest (maybe on a sandbag, or something) so that it'll stay upright without you holding it (and not fall!). Now, sight the target through the scope (or something other object, if you're doing it at home). Move your head left/right/up/down. Does the dot appear to change position on the target as you move your head? If it does, you're seeing parallax in action. I have yet to handle a C-More that literally has zero parallax, but the majority of them have very little - not enough to be worried about unless you're trying to shoot ultra-tight groups at 50. However, a few have had ridiculous amounts - those can (and should) be sent back to C-More to get corrected. They likely have a bad lens.

Dave, if you read the whole page, you'll not that while it says "Parallax-free design" on the right side, the whole lower half of the page contradicts that notion with a big caveat ;) I'd agree with the lower half of the page - within the operating parameters the scope is designed for, parallax isn't really an issue, assuming the scope is ok. The Aimpoints I've handled have little to no parallax issues, but they have other disadvantages - there's a reason why there's only one top shooter running one. The J-Points/Doctors that I've handled are horrible on parallax. I have yet to handle one I can use....

Edited by XRe

Thanks XRE and Dave for the info.

Owensboro Match

I've had an amazing day.

Dave and I traveled to Owensboro to shoot with Hopalong. Shooting with Hop is like shooting with a brother. We're family in a sense. (Isn't that right Hop? ;) ) Anyway, it was a beautiful day, I shot well, Dave and I enjoyed our alone time together on the road, we saw some friends, and made some new ones. It was a great day.

Highlights that I'll remember:

Teddy says to me, "You're scarey." I put my arm around him and say, "I'm not scarey." He then says, "Yes you are. You're getting too good." :o

My new friend Mike called me a "B-Master" :lol:

Max (GM open shooter) says to me, "You beat me on a stage last week" I say, "Yeah, isn't that great" and then I make him give me a bump with our fist. :D

Hopalong tells me what he saw I did wrong (I lost my dot a couple of times) and then I say, "Yeah, but what did I do right?" He says, "Everything else". B)

Have I said it was a good day? It was.

Thanks Owensboro for putting on such a wonderful match. :cheers:

Tomorrow we shoot at Riley.

Dave, if you read the whole page, you'll not that while it says "Parallax-free design" on the right side, the whole lower half of the page contradicts that notion with a big caveat ;) I'd agree with the lower half of the page - within the operating parameters the scope is designed for, parallax isn't really an issue, assuming the scope is ok.

I did read the whole page, that's why I linked to it instead of boiling it down, sans my comment that it likely isn't something to worry about. If it really was an issue, Jane would have figured out by now, IMO.

Riley Match

Not as good as yesterday. I understand why and it's OK.

I'm going to tweak my training a little for the next 3 weeks. I'm going back into dry fire pretty heavy. I haven't been doing it related to all the loading and live fire shooting. Plus, I was showing some repetitive injury stress to my wrist and elbows. However, my shooting is showing some weakness in the basics. Like getting on target quickly. My draws are poor.

SO here's the plan:

• Back into dry fire this week...I'm thinking everyday as long as the body tolerates it.
  • League night on Tuesday: It's going to be a steel match.
  • Take this upcoming weekend off from shooting...just shoot at home.

I like where I'm at in my preparation.

The one thing looming out there is "who" will I be shooting with at Nationals. I wish they would post that so I could do the mental work I need to do.

The one thing looming out there is "who" will I be shooting with at Nationals. I wish they would post that so I could do the mental work I need to do.

Why does it matter? Are you saying you'll put more or different preparation into YOUR game based on who you're shooting with?

Why does it matter? Are you saying you'll put more or different preparation into YOUR game based on who you're shooting with?

Yes....more into my mental game.

PM sent to Catfish

Owensboro,

Jane KICKED ASS !!!!!!

She keeps talking about her mental game, looked quite sharp to me. :cheers:

She also keeps talking about her self confidence. NOTHING TO WORRY about there !!!! ;)

It has been a year since I've seen her shoot. There is now a completely different shooter there.

Good going Jane, (and David) Good to see you both again.

ENJOY the Ride.

Hop

Owensboro,

Jane KICKED ASS !!!!!!

She keeps talking about her mental game, looked quite sharp to me. :cheers:

She also keeps talking about her self confidence. NOTHING TO WORRY about there !!!! ;)

It has been a year since I've seen her shoot. There is now a completely different shooter there.

Good going Jane, (and David) Good to see you both again.

ENJOY the Ride.

Hop

Thanks Hop!! Loved seeing you and shooting with you. I'll miss seeing your mug at Nats!

Prep

Loaded 300 rounds

Cleaned gun

Dry fire session

Tomorrow league night: focus steel

Al's got me watching women's beach volley ball :lol: Misty May is buff! :surprise: XRE I think she could be spartan! May and Walsh ROCK :cheers: That's what I was watching as I loaded.

BTW, Is anyone else offended by the McDonald's comercial that shows the buff athletes choking down chicken sandwiches for breakfast?? Sure they are good but am I going to look like THEM if I choose to eat a chicken sandwich for breakfast? I don't think so. <_<

Misty May is buff! :surprise: XRE I think she could be spartan!

I dunno... Those Spartan women were pretty darn hardcore, by all accounts that I've read!

May and Walsh ROCK :cheers: That's what I was watching as I loaded.

They're a great team - I agree, I really enjoy watching them play.

BTW, Is anyone else offended by the McDonald's comercial that shows the buff athletes choking down chicken sandwiches for breakfast?? Sure they are good but am I going to look like THEM if I choose to eat a chicken sandwich for breakfast? I don't think so. <_<

I've been rolling my eyes all week at those commercials.... And I've been thanking God that we play a game where the scoring is (for the most part) objective.... :surprise:<_<

Sure you can, much like you can chow down what Michael Phelps eats in a day ---- as long as you also engage in all of the other (calorie burning) activities these athletes engage in every day.... :P

OK, I saw that comercial again tonight. Anyone else notice that only 1 guy (who doesn't look like an Olympian) takes a bite of the sandwich.

The others just hold it and look at it. :surprise: It's like...I'm getting paid to hold this fat bomb, but I know better than to let it touch my lips :lol:

Just an observation.

League Night

Steel focus

Coach was unable to make it tonight :( He truly was missed.

Dave and I both worked today. So we just made it home in time to scoot to the range and shoot. That's one of the reasons we chose to shoot steel.

It wasn't your typical steel match. We moved box to box (sideways and front to back) shooting steel on the move. We also did some re-load work. I needed to work on my draw and reloads so this was a good change from the field courses we have been shooting.

Sometimes you just need to change it up and get a little variety...tonight was that night.

When Matt was here in July, he told me I was taking my re-loads for granted. He was right. I don't know what has happened in the last couple of weeks, but I'm missing re-loads like crazy. I think it's exactly what he was saying. I'm not looking the mag in. SOOOO after league night...I went to the basement and did some dry fire. I made myself do Matt Burkett reloads. Those are the kind where you don't put the entire mag in the mag well...you stop short. I think my re-loads will straighten up pretty quickly with some dry fire work.

The draws were more aggessive tonight and better.

We did a bill drill to a large steel plate. I got under 2 pretty easy and I saw all the shots (grouped in the middle) That was encouraging.

I've got a good idea what I'm going to practice this Thursday. I'm looking forward to some alone time on the range with some focused practice. :)

I'm still going strong in my training...and I'm not feeling burned out at all.

I think I've got a good shot at finishing strong. :cheers:

While shooting with the Indiana Blasters (Jane & David) I made a comment to Jane while David was shooting a stage that with all her work, that some one with the same last name as her had also improved.

Here's proof:

http://www.orpci.org/content/scores/aug/08_17_limited.txt

Good shooting too, Mr. Ball. :cheers:

They both have really improved thier game. It was good to shoot with ya'll, and I'm glad I made the trip.

Hopalong

And Janes' AWESOME performance. !!!

http://www.orpci.org/content/scores/aug/08_17_open.txt

If you don't know Randy (last name pronounced WEE) He is a TN Hotshot that runs like water and shoots like boiling water !!!!

Oh, and take note of where she also won a STAGE.

Hop

WOW!! I guess I am good.

How did that happen? :lol:;)

Owensboro was a good day. Thanks for sharing it with me Hop!

Load and Make Ready

Wednesday Night

Had a dry fire practice followed by loading. Reloading was the focus of the dry fire. Also worked on awkward start positions.

I loaded around 400 rounds as I watched Macy May and Karri Walsh win their gold medal. I ADMIRE those ladies. :cheers: Winning the gold medal playing in the rain with wet white bikinis! :goof: That is true mental toughness. I've overcome a lot of my body image issues...but wet white clothing would do me in! :lol:

Live Fire Session 1

Thursday morning

Started the day with a dry fire session in the basement and then moved to the range for live fire.

Shot around 250-300 rounds at steel plates. Put 4 steel plates at 40 yd, 25 yd, and 15 yd. Hmmmm <_< I bet you can guess what I practiced. OK it wasn't actually practicing a National stage because...it WAS STEEL and I left the par timer off. :P Anyway, the purpose was just to watch, learn, and feel what is going on at those distances.

I then shot some awkward starts...coming off a wall and leaning for a hard tucked in target...stuff like that.

Broke for lunch

Live Fire Session 2

Thursday afternoon

200 rounds

Went back to the range after lunch and shot 200 rounds at a swinger. I arranged it as many different ways as I could think of. Shooting at the bottom of the arc, the top of the arc, catching it at both sides back and forth. Practiced shooting activator and multipal statics before engaging swinger. It really was more of PLAY then work. Shooting is a lot like dancing. I was just dancing with the gun and seeing what I could do. I plan on doing some more swinger work before Nats.

Dave should be home soon and I saved 8 rounds to chrono. I've got a dirty gun..and I want to see where I'm at. New brass came in the mail today. Time to get loaded for Nats. The ammo will be kept under my bed. Normally we would let it sit in the basement where there is humidity. NOT THIS YEAR! I'll be protecting that ammo like a chicken protects her eggs. Let's all remember who minored at Nats last year...Oh yeah...that would be me and Dave! Not this year baby!! I'm all over it.

Good day of training today. :D I'm still lov'in it. No signs of dread, or fear.....all I'm feeling is the love and joy.

Got my dry fire in at 0430 this morning. Felt good despite the early hour. :)

Had to do it that way because tonight the dry fire range is going to be turned into a disco! Yep, you read it right.

My sisters are coming over and we are going to have a night of getting our groove on in the basement. My niece is getting married the weekend after Nats and I'm determined to party like a college freshman. THEREFORE one must train to have a good time!

The electric slide, boot scoots boggie, fox trot, macarana (?Spelling) look out here we come!! :goof:

Wish my buddy Renee was here.

Got my dry fire in at 0430 this morning. Felt good despite the early hour. :)

Had to do it that way because tonight the dry fire range is going to be turned into a disco! Yep, you read it right.

My sisters are coming over and we are going to have a night of getting our groove on in the basement. My niece is getting married the weekend after Nats and I'm determined to party like a college freshman. THEREFORE one must train to have a good time!

The electric slide, boot scoots boggie, fox trot, macarana (?Spelling) look out here we come!! :goof:

Wish my buddy Renee was here.

Please tell me there will be a few bottles of Boone's Farm floating around.

Oh...there better be pictures to share!!!