Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Calamity Jane

Calamity Jane

Jane,

It was an honor to shoot with you and David. David was often encouraging for me as well. You ladies are at the top of your game and you keep to yourself a lot. You are there to win and you're very serious about it. I'm still in the "having fun" stages so I probably yapped a little too much. I respect the hard core mentality you expressed during the match, but can I add something? Through all of your serious thought during the match and concentration, your smile made the rain go away. You and the other ladies were inspirational for my wife. Hopefully she'll be shooting beside you and learning from your experience. You did an awesome job, and I learned from you as well.

Thanks Bobby! Shooting makes me smile. :roflol: I'm in love with the sport. :wub: It's the love that drives me and makes this a worthwhile pursuit. :)

I regret not encouraging your wife! Usually I'm all over that! Please forgive me!! I admit I was focused on myself. :blush:

The hubby was a grandmaster encourager for many of us at this match. Dave and I have been working on changing our "match dynamic". We are trying to encourage each other and positively affirm each other after each stage. He did an awesome job with me at A6!! Encouragement is the wind beneath our wings. If you don't have a buddy to talk you up...find one. ;)

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After 20 years of marriage, Dave says to me last night …"I've come to realize that your brain doesn't work like mine" :surprise: He's always known my brain doesn't work like his…it's just recently he's decided that it's OK that it doesn't. We are fearfully and wonderfully made and we are different…male and female. When we embrace our differences and join together…then we can experience what we were truly created to be.

So --- are Dave and you really talking about the difference in function of male and female brains, or are you simply talking about differences in two individual human brains?

He's always known my brain doesn't work like his…it's just recently he's decided that it's OK that it doesn't. When we embrace our differences and join together…then we can experience what we were truly created to be.

I think that's one of the coolest realizations to come to in life --- the total acceptance that this is how it is, and embracing that concept, rather than struggling against it.

Nik,

I wanted to get back to you on this one. Dave and I were talking as individual's not necessarily genders.

HOWEVER, I wanted to share what I do know about the differences in how men and women think. This is how it was explained to me and I have found it to be very true.

Men have brains and thought processes like filing cabinets. They process one thing at a time. They take the file out they are processing, complete the task, and then move on to another file. If you interupt them during this process, they do not "compute" what you are saying. Men tend to process things one thing at a time.

Women on the other hand have brains and thought processes like a blackboard. As they process information it is ALL on the blackboard. They are looking at multipal items at a time. They will start to process one thing and then jump to another because it's all out there in front of them.

SO....this may explain why a woman may start a conversation on one topic and then start talking about something else. Just when you get the file open that she was talking about she flips on ya. :unsure:

OR..how about this. You open up the sex file and are ready to go. However, it may take your lady awhile to get to that item on her blackboard. She first may be thinking about, are the doors locked, did I sign the kids permission slip, what am I going to wear the next day etc. Once she gets those things cleared off...she's ready to go. ;)

Jeff Foxworthy describes his wife like this, "She's like a diesel truck. She's hard to get started, but once you've got her started, she can run for a long long time." :roflol:

This doesn't have much to do with training to win, but it is interesting.

Edited by Calamity Jane

Jane,

Awesome stage win. Congrats!

Hey, don't fault yourself for having expectations. It's expectations that leave us feeling good about doing what we were supposed to or disciplining ourselves if we didn't. I try every now and again to have no expectations. Or to say I don't. But I always do.

They say one of the huge benefits of Tiger Woods right now is he really only has positive vibes going on. Yes, he has lost. But the vast majority of his memories are wins. Huge wins. Monumental, record breaking wins. Everytime he tees it up, he has a memory of doing so once before . . . when he won.

I watched him this weekend, he hit this AWESOME approach onto the 18 green. He hit a 5 iron about 164 yards, in the wind, and landed it 25 feet from the pin. Now, he could probably crank a 9 iron that far. But he picked a club, he had confidence in the decision, he knew what result he wanted and he stuck that bad boy. Expectations? Yeah, he expected to land precisely where he did. If he'd a shanked it, he'd a recovered. Wouldn't have dwelled on it. But I firmly believe he has the highest expectations every time he stands by a ball. He just let's the bad ones be what they are. And he calmly, confidently, stands by that ball again. Swings with no fear, knowing that if he doubts because of the last shot, there's no way he can pull this next shot off.

J

Jack,

I wanted to get back to you on this one also.

I have to confess I was a little cranky before ladies camp and A6 and really wasn't in the mood to talk or explain myself. :devil: At that time I thought I had achieved something mentally but had not yet tested it. Now I've tested my mental abilities and I have achieved what I was looking for. :D

What I like about Tiger and now I can say about myself...is that Tiger doesn't allow the loss to define him. His self image is strong. It has taken me YEARS to build a positive self image, but I think I've finally obtained an image that can lead to winning.

NEVER under estimate the power of positive thinking. "So a man thinketh, so he is." I've tested this and have found it to be true.

I like it when you post Jack...hope my cranky mood didn't chase you off. :blush:

I don't need to talk about my mind game because I know my own mind and I'm going to take what I know and kick some A$$.

XRE I don't think you're catching the gravity of that statement.

I thought about continuing on and explaining what I mean....but that's where I've turned my corner....I don't have to anymore.

One more thing to clean up before I move on with my diary.

This post represents something extremely profound and important to me. This was Calamity Jane standing up on her own and realizing that she no longer needed to explain herself to ANYONE. I've known that in my head for a long time. However, it has finally gotten to my heart. This was a HUGE growth and development achievement for me.

XRE's my buddy and he understood...although it does read a little cranky :devil::)

Data Analysis of A6

Did you know you can make data say anything you want it to? :rolleyes: I've been going over the scores of the ladies at A6 and doing some data analysis. It's really interesting. I'm learning how to break it down into the positive. SOO with that thought in mind here is what I came up with. The following data was just comparing scores with Lisa, Kay, Eva, Sharyn and me.

I beat Kay on one stage

I beat Lisa on two stages

I beat Eva on six stages

I beat Sharyn on six stages

I finished second on Stage 2, 9, and 11.

I finished third on Stage 1 and 3.

My best stage statistically was Stage 11.

Lessons learned: the cost of mikes is too high :sick: and I'm not going to pay it anymore.

I'm sitting here trying to come up with my next 6 week training plan. Here's my list so far.

1. Work on better control of the gun (grip, technique, and timing)

2. Continue dry fire routine

3. Fix gun (cut down thumbshield, new safety, investigate someone to help me build up left side of grip)

4. Stronger physically (restart physical fitness program)

5. Compete like Kay (try the competitive strategy of higher points with smooth, quick, efficient movement)

6. Experiment with canting a dot gun, reaching difficult positions behind barriers, up close shooting with a dot (finding where to aim)

That's what's on my mind right now.

Data Analysis of A6

Did you know you can make data say anything you want it to? :rolleyes: I've been going over the scores of the ladies at A6 and doing some data analysis. It's really interesting. I'm learning how to break it down into the positive. SOO with that thought in mind here is what I came up with. The following data was just comparing scores with Lisa, Kay, Eva, Sharyn and me.

I beat Kay on one stage

I beat Lisa on two stages

I beat Eva on six stages

I beat Sharyn on six stages

I finished second on Stage 2, 9, and 11.

I finished third on Stage 1 and 3.

My best stage statistically was Stage 11.

Lessons learned: the cost of mikes is too high :sick: and I'm not going to pay it anymore.

Hey Jane,

Way to go and an excellent way to use match results to help you in a positive way.

I'm sitting here trying to come up with my next 6 week training plan. Here's my list so far.

1. Work on better control of the gun (grip, technique, and timing)

2. Continue dry fire routine

3. Fix gun (cut down thumbshield, new safety, investigate someone to help me build up left side of grip)

4. Stronger physically (restart physical fitness program)

5. Compete like Kay (try the competitive strategy of higher points with smooth, quick, efficient movement)

6. Experiment with canting a dot gun, reaching difficult positions behind barriers, up close shooting with a dot (finding where to aim)

That's what's on my mind right now.

1. Don't forget what Lisa & Kay told us about getting that left hand on the gun quickly. When the buzzer goes, move both hands with purpose. I'll be working on this as well.

2. Always a good idea. I need to start doing a little myself.

3. I think that I would go to Jim Shanahan for the grip.

4. Hard to start: easy to find other things to do once the boredom and dread set in.

5. Call every shot. If you don't know it's there, shoot it again.

6. Very good idea. I would also say learn how to shoot canted on the ground. Plus, prepare for the eventuality of no having no dot (practice with dot off so you have confidence to finish a stage in case of battery failure, breakage, etc.)

I really wished you lived closer. I truly enjoyed shooting with you and wish we had more opportunities.

Thanks Renee...I was wondering if anyone was ever going to talk to me again! Thanks for posting. I too wish I lived closer. :(

I just got back from the range. It's a beautiful Spring day here in Indiana so I made myself go out there and shoot 200 rounds.

I did just what I spoke about eariler. I set up 3 targets...one at 25, one at 15 and one at 10. I set the par timer for 5 seconds and took 5 consecutive shots at each distance using a weak grip, medium grip, and strong grip. Which grip did better?? The strong one ofcourse. I knew this all along but what helped was seeing....This is what a weak grip looks like, this is what a medium grip looks like, and this is what a strong grip looks like. ;) Men..keep in mind that my strong grip is probably your weak or medium grip. I don't have very good strength in my left hand. I'm working on that.

I also did some canting around a tent pole at 10 and 15. Very interesting. Most definately going to work in canting into the regular routine. It's fun and builds confidence. Knowing where to put the dot is a handy piece of information. :D

I also did some canting around a tent pole at 10 and 15. Very interesting. Most definately going to work in canting into the regular routine. It's fun and builds confidence. Knowing where to put the dot is a handy piece of information. :D

Remember when you asked about suggestions for classifiers that you could practice to build various shooting skills??? Why do you think I recommended Off Balance Blast??? :lol: That one's shot fastest if the gun is never straight up and down ;)

BTW - grip strength? Farmer Carries up that long driveway of yours and back... Find a couple of heavy objects (dumbells, kettlebells, shooting bags loaded down with ammo, whatever) and carry 'em ;) The thicker the handle, the better the workout for the weight....

BTW - grip strength? Farmer Carries up that long driveway of yours and back... Find a couple of heavy objects (dumbells, kettlebells, shooting bags loaded down with ammo, whatever) and carry 'em ;) The thicker the handle, the better the workout for the weight....

Good suggestion.....I'm also thinking about my everyday life and wondering if the way I carry my purse could help me build strength. I tend to carry my purse with my right hand or right side of the body. I'm shopping for a new purse. I'm going to keep this in mind. Thanks!

Jane,

Just wanted to add my congrats for your A-6 performance. Always enjoy watching your journey unfold. I think that the open gun has proved to be your paving machine. Freeing you to make your own road.

See you on the range.

Mike

Jane,

Just wanted to add my congrats for your A-6 performance. Always enjoy watching your journey unfold. I think that the open gun has proved to be your paving machine. Freeing you to make your own road.

See you on the range.

Mike

Thanks Mike! Perhaps it is time for this Peony to bloom. ;)

Shooting Steel like A Sniper

As you know I practiced this week at 25, 15, and 10-yard targets working with grip and timing. However, I forgot to mention my gun was shooting about 4 inches to the left…and NO it wasn’t because of my trigger pull! <_< I put her on a rest and checked it out (just to be sure) and it was shooting to the left on the rest also. Most people would go ahead and fix the problem but not me. I didn’t have the Allen wrenches with me to fix it and I didn’t want to drive the short distance to get them. I just adjusted my aim accordingly and told myself I would fix it later. I was lazy…a true sloth. :yawn:

We shot a steel match this morning. It was one of those mornings I rolled out of bed grumpy… pulled on my clothes without a shower or makeup, didn’t talk to the hubby until after my McDonalds coffee, and case gauged ammo all the way to the range. It was only after the coffee kicked in that I remembered I was going to a steel match with a gun that shoots 4 inches to the left! :o Bummer! But being the ENTJ (hearty, frank, over confident in ones abilities) personality type that I am, I knew I could overcome it. :D

Needless to say the first stage didn’t go so well. I kept hitting the steel twice! I had to aim so far to the right that when I called my shot it looked like a miss. CRAZY MAN! It took me all 5 runs on the first stage to figure out how to shoot the gun. It made me think of snipers…how they adjust for wind, distance etc. I was thinking about that first shot in the movie “Shooter” where Bob Lee fired the gun at a moving jeep and shot the guy in the head. He aimed the shot at a mark way ahead of the jeep…but due to math…both the bullet and the guys head met up at the precise moment. This was sort of what I was trying to figure out today at the steel match without the benefit of mathematics. Once I figured it out, it was smooth sailing the rest of the match. I shot pretty solid from there on out. However, my slothful behavior cost me big time competitively.

Lesson learned:

1. Don’t be slothful at the range. If it’s broke, fix it. :(

2. Put a set of Allen wrenches in my shooting bag that will ALWAYS be there. ;)

No Middle Ground

There is no middle ground with me. With me it's all or nothing, black or white, hot or cold, sweet or sour, full speed or no speed. It's a personality thing that I'm trying to get over but never seem able to. :huh: I tell you all this to explain my dry fire training. I'm doing it different this year and it seems to be working for me BECAUSE of my personality.

In the past I have always tried to dry fire 3-4 times a week from January through September. I started the New Year off with this plan but in March I decided that I was going to dry fire for 30 days straight. I did. I liked the challenge of it. Then the month of April I competed at ladies camp and A6. I didn't dry fire much during that time. Now it's May 1st and I'm back in the basement with the committment to again dry fire for 30 days straight. Then I will compete in June at the Indiana State Match, and A5. All.....and then....nothing. I think it's working for me. ;) I don't think I would recommend this training strategy for everyone....just those with my weird personality type. :D

Going to try to make it to the range tomorrow (going to fix the sight) and then shoot another steel match on Saturday.

I got beat last week at the steel match...big surprise <_< The Open guy that won shot a 83.30 and I shot a 83.76. If we throw the first stage out...then I win by 2.28 seconds. Yep....going to fix the gun tomorrow.

Jane,

Awesome stage win. Congrats!

Hey, don't fault yourself for having expectations. It's expectations that leave us feeling good about doing what we were supposed to or disciplining ourselves if we didn't. I try every now and again to have no expectations. Or to say I don't. But I always do.

They say one of the huge benefits of Tiger Woods right now is he really only has positive vibes going on. Yes, he has lost. But the vast majority of his memories are wins. Huge wins. Monumental, record breaking wins. Everytime he tees it up, he has a memory of doing so once before . . . when he won.

I watched him this weekend, he hit this AWESOME approach onto the 18 green. He hit a 5 iron about 164 yards, in the wind, and landed it 25 feet from the pin. Now, he could probably crank a 9 iron that far. But he picked a club, he had confidence in the decision, he knew what result he wanted and he stuck that bad boy. Expectations? Yeah, he expected to land precisely where he did. If he'd a shanked it, he'd a recovered. Wouldn't have dwelled on it. But I firmly believe he has the highest expectations every time he stands by a ball. He just let's the bad ones be what they are. And he calmly, confidently, stands by that ball again. Swings with no fear, knowing that if he doubts because of the last shot, there's no way he can pull this next shot off.

J

Jack,

I wanted to get back to you on this one also.

I have to confess I was a little cranky before ladies camp and A6 and really wasn't in the mood to talk or explain myself. :devil: At that time I thought I had achieved something mentally but had not yet tested it. Now I've tested my mental abilities and I have achieved what I was looking for. :D

What I like about Tiger and now I can say about myself...is that Tiger doesn't allow the loss to define him. His self image is strong. It has taken me YEARS to build a positive self image, but I think I've finally obtained an image that can lead to winning.

NEVER under estimate the power of positive thinking. "So a man thinketh, so he is." I've tested this and have found it to be true.

I like it when you post Jack...hope my cranky mood didn't chase you off. :blush:

You know my biggest fear in the world wide web is this idea of being mis-interpreted. My daughter will never have that problem, the way they text, chat, etc. etc. has become a very acceptable form of communication. For me, I still like all the non-verbal communication cues that indicate how a conversation is going - or at least to help me understand if I'm on the same subject line as the person I'm talking to.

You didn't run me off. My biggest concern in posting anything in this forum is either misunderstanding what the person is saying or having what I'm typing be misinterpreted. I think in this case I misunderstood what "expectations" we were dealing with. Because they are different, have different meanings, and by virtue of that have different values.

Eskimos having something like 55 words to describe snow. So clearly there are a bazillion ways to "miss" what someone is saying in the forum.

Most of the time after a post I just hope I'm not stepping on someone's toes.

Honestly at times I feel no need to post in your diary though. And often times I regret doing it afterwards. The reality is your driven, you work you tail end off, you're driven, you're focused, you're driven, and you want to win. Did I mention you're driven?

You're seeing success - and breaking barriers. I think that's the best gift life could offer, and I'd rather read and watch you enjoy then submit some suggestion that may or may not be worth the paper it was written on (which is ironic, because no paper was hurt in writing this post!)

J

Jack I like you! One of the things I like in your posting is your humility. I've appreciated everything you have posted...so thank you! If you think there is something I should know and don't want to post...PM me. I respect your thoughts and your experience. ;)

It is difficult to be truly understood on the forum because we DON'T have those non verbal clues. XRE and I met in person at A6. We have been speaking through the internet for over a year. I'm fairly aquainted with him as he is with me. However, when we met, my brain went into FREEZE mode. I didn't know what to say. Speaking with someone face to face is much different than what we do here. I'm grateful that we do have the forum to communicate. The interaction via writing words on this forum has changed me. My next post is going to talk about my relationship with XRE and what that has meant to me and my shooting success this year...you all won't want to miss that post! B)

I shot a steel match today. The dot was in the center plate. :D Pretty sure I won Open....OK I was the only open shooter :lol: Dave and I learned more about us as a competitive team. We are going to make some changes once again in our shooting dynamic that I think is going to help me competitively. The day was valuable just to discover that.

Next up....the "X" factor!

The “X” Factor

Dave Re

XRE

DR Performance

“When the student is ready, the teacher will come.”

Here is what I said about Dave in his blog called Regun:

XRE….ReGun…Dave Re….He's a man of many identities but with one common purpose: to encourage, instruct, and inspire others to shoot better. He certainly has done so for me.

I met Dave on the Brian Enos forums. There are many different personalities and opinions to sort through on the forum but Dave stood out as someone who really knew what he was talking about. It was with this confidence that I sent him an email one day and asked him a question. I needed load data for my new open gun and I just knew in my heart that Dave would have the answer. He did. He had an awesome spread sheet with various loads that were spot on. This saved me a tremendous amount of time and frustration.

My journey continued as I decided to keep an on line range diary through the forum entitled Calamity Jane: Journey of a woman. Dave's feedback, encouragement and support really helped me stay on track in 2007. I found his advice to be sound, tested, and true.

This year my journey continues as I strive to find a higher mastery of shooting. This year my range diary is entitled Calamity Jane: Training to win. I realized I needed more formal mentoring than what my range diary could offer. Who did I call? Dave Re. I asked him if he would help me on a formal basis and he has done so. Having a mentor/coach has many benefits. One of those benefits is learning from someone who has experience. We all are climbing the same ladder. It helps when others who have gone before us can tell us how to climb. Dave has helped me by providing: ideas for practice, reading recommendations of shooting books, formulation of goals and is currently assisting me with performance analysis.

My intention is to train to win in 2008. I believe Dave Re is part of the formula to get that done.

Thanks Dave!

Present Day testimony

In the last few months I have made great strides in my quest to win. Most of my issues have been mental barriers that needed to be worked through. I’ve finally worked through many of those issues that have been holding me back. Dave provided wise council as I was working through some of these things. I’m finding him to be a brilliant coach. He not only has helped me with my mental game but he has helped me with some technical aspects as well. Using video and email technology he was able to e-coach me through to a much better holster set up and draw. At ladies camp I was able to pull a hands above shoulder draws sub 1.0 sec with the best one being .91 :D

I’ve been calling him the “doctor” of performance because he certainly has helped me with my performance. If you have the opportunity to work with Dave or take one of his classes…do it!

Thank you Dave Re for all you have helped me accomplish! You rock!

go here to check out his blog : http://re-gun.blogspot.com/

Missed you in the league today. It was great practice I think. A real mud bowl. We learned to fight through some adversity today. You need to do some posting as well. Nothing here for five days.

Missed you in the league today. It was great practice I think. A real mud bowl. We learned to fight through some adversity today. You need to do some posting as well. Nothing here for five days.

Missed you too Coach! Shooting is always better than working...but shooting doesn't pay the bills ;)

I've been swimming again and I've noticed something very unusual. When I have swam in the past I would look at the blue line on the bottom of the pool and think. I've worked through A LOT of stuff mentally looking at that blue line and many of my "posts" have come from that time in the pool. WELL....the last 2 weeks in the pool looking at the blue line...nothing. There's no issues to work through. My mind is blank. I even resorted to counting my strokes because there is nothing I'm tormented about to work through. I've found my quiet. So I guess that is why I've been so quiet in my diary. There's nothing to say. I'm on track with my 30 day dry fire plan. I'm feeling a freedom in the shooter's box that I've never felt before. :D It's all good.

I mentioned that I was going to work on my grip issues. This next week I'm going to coax Mr. Ball into removing my Jim Shanahan textured grip off my limited gun and placing it on my Open gun. I think that will give me a little extra friction. I've been working on my left hand strength...but I think changing the grip will add a little something something. I'm also going to take a little off my thumb shield while the gun is apart.

I'm on track. Look forward to Riley next week.

Maybe if the RO situation is deep enough I will shoot with you guys. I am looking forward to it as well, because all I have to do is help Mike T. set up and just shoot.

MY HUSBAND ROCKS!!!!

:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

He put my textured limited grip onto my open gun and cut down my thumb shield! I'm anxious to shoot it. The Jim Shanahan (I don't know how to spell his name correctly BTW) grip helped me out with my limited gun and I'm anticipating that it should work really well on my open gun as well.

Thank you honey for such a quick fix! :wub:

I put 100 rounds through with the new/old grip. Felt pretty good....kind of like an old saddle on a new horse :) I was going to shoot more but I'm out of ammo. My loader has an issue with the primer punch that I need Dave's assistance on ;) I'm going to get loaded tonight and then have a serious range day on Thursday. It's time to move and groove with the gun which makes me :D just thinking about it.

The best bang for the buck....STEEL!!

I'm having a love affair with steel this season. Our club purchased some steel and due to lack of storage at the club, my husband and I are storing it at our house. (OK that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :lol: ) Anyway, I can't stress enough how much easier it is to practice when you don't have to hang targets or paste. If you have the opportunity and the means to purchase a few pieces of steel...do it!

300 rounds

Here's what I did:

20 yd draws to steel plate

Raw Deal using plates

50 yd shooting using 18 x 24 steel plate

50 yd shooting strong hand and weak hand to 18 x 24 plate

75 yd shooting using 18 x 24 plate

100 yd shooting using 18 x 24 plate (in the middle of Buddy's paddock...Coach)

Transitions using the plates...triangle formation..transition back to front, side to side, front to back

Let's talk about long distance shooting. I wanted to back up to the 50 to see if I still had "it". Well I did. It was too easy so I decided to see if I could shoot 50 yds with strong and weak hand...and I could...again pretty easy. So that's when I decided to back up and see just how far I could shoot my open gun. I stopped around 100 yds cause I was running into a tree line and a fence. I can hit the plate pretty accurately at 100. What did I learn from all this?? That I really really want to deer hunt with my open gun!! Why oh why can't I? Insert heavy sigh.

Here's what I really got from shooting long distances like that....confidence. There is nothing that makes me more confident than backing up with that gun. I LOVE MY GUN :wub: It's become part of me.

I'm adjusting to the new grip. It's smaller than the one I had so it feels a little weird on the draw...cause more of my left hand can wrap around the gun. I do think I've got better control of the gun which is what I was looking for. ;)

All in all it's still going good. I'm encouraged. :D

You can deer hunt with it. Just don't get caught.

Looking forward to Sunday... Long distance does not look to be the challenge Sunday. I would say it will be movement.

You can deer hunt with it. Just don't get caught.

Looking forward to Sunday... Long distance does not look to be the challenge Sunday. I would say it will be movement.

How about mozambique deer hunting. One to the head with the open gun...two to the body with the shot gun :o Then everyone can be happy. ;)

Coach...you're getting all juiced about Sunday...I'm worried that you're starting to have expectations :lol::lol: