Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Credit Card Fraud

Jack Suber

I get a call this morning from QVC. They wanted to know if my wife placed an online order last night for $500+. I respond that I am pretty sure she did not. The lady says she is calling because my wife hasn't ordered anything from them in a while and there was a PIN Change request last night on the QVC account. She says that the shipping address was different than ours and that is what sent up the red flags. Then she tells me that the charge was made with an AMEX card and gives me the last 4 digits. Wait a minute! That is my card! So, I call Amex. Seems someone spent last night charging online orders to my AMEX: cell phone ring tones; concert tickets; software; etc. So, AMEX rejected all of the charges and cancelled my card (primarily because the security code on the card was not entered). Now I have to make fraud reports to Equifax, check all of my accounts, and wait for my new AMEX card. I am very careful about my card use. I have Nortons, Spyware Doctor etc on my systems at home. Yet, somehow, a scumbag got me. Fortunately, the viligance of QVC and AMEX have saved me so far. This really ticks me off! I would love to catch the scumbag that did this.

TV report this week showed where they pulled up outside of a business and stole credit card numbers with a computer in the parking lot.

How? :unsure:

Supposedly restaurants use wireless stations and frequently those are unsecure. Anyone with a laptop could hack them. Supposedly. I think spyware got me. Spybot found a "Key Tracker" on my home PC. I have it set to scan once a week and it got on there between scans. One thing I have done is leave my PC on at night to runs scans, etc. Even though I have firewalls etc, someone got through and AMEX indicated that most of these "thefts" occur at night. So, the PC will be shut down from here on. It a royal pain in the butt. I was lucky, though. All I had to do is make some reports and replace my AMEX Card. It could have been a lot worse. CNN ran a report today stating the FBI announced an outbreak of Spyware and that they think there are at least 2 million computers nationwide that are affected.

I was in Miami on business 2 years ago and I withdrew some money from the hotel ATM. between the hours of 4 am and 10am this guy got me for $2800. He rented 2 hookers, a hotel room, 2 dozen roses, skype phones, ipod and a bunch of music downloads and all kinds of crap I wish I could afford! I had to shut my card off, wait for a new ATM card, dispute the charges, sign an affidavit and had my money back in my acct. that day. as for spending it, I was givin some temp checks to write to cash until my card arrived not to miami, but my friggin business! I waited another 3 days for the card to be sent to the branch where I reported it stolen. another wireless ATM fraud victim. NEVER use an ATM at the local quickie mart, nightclub, or hotel. Use real banks ATM's and you wont encounter what happened to me. good luck with everything.

Supposedly restaurants use wireless stations and frequently those are unsecure.

Also, the older form of encryption (WEP) has been broken and the tools are readily available - google for "airsnort".

I also avoid using credit cards over wireless hotel internet when traveling - google for "evil twin" and "man in middle attack" for some reasons why.

What are the odds off getting ripped off twice within a two month period. This time it was a credit card that I haven't used in months. Luckily I received an email saying irregular activity(unlike my bank-checking) so I called immediately to see what was going on. Three attempts all on the same day, one went through for 444.20 in Hong Kong at some place called wremchi??? Card canceled! I think stoning would be too good for these type of people that commit such crimes, may be setting them on fire in a room full of mirrors would be more appropriate.