Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1967 vs. 2007

benos

I spent nearly every minute of 1967 on my senior trip - in sunny Southeast Asia.

I carried a handgun - in a shoulder holster, under my uniform - on two different flights on the way home for Christmas. Try that in 2007.

I went to a high school in the District of Columbia and we had an active rifle team, we studied military science and we had M1's and Springfields.

The world has not become any better.

I was inspecting the beautiful Central Highlands of Viet Nam in 1967, but I did get to carry guns...mostly the venerable 1911 but sometimes an M14...noone said anything about it either...

I noticed that the old Roadrunner cartoons have been edited heavily. The coyote never impacts the ground anymore.

If kids are going to think a fall off a cliff or getting smashed with a boulder is survivable because of the Roadrunner cartoon, then they are pretty damn pathetic and we should show the original cartoons 24/7 as a public service to reduce further breeding. We seemed to survive it.

I never even had the urge to get shot with a 12 ga because Elmer Fudd survived hits with little damage.... I'll bet they don't show those cartoons anymore.

In 1981 my brother bought a shotgun from our high school tennis coach, we took it home on the school bus. Those days are gone for good. We were raised to understand that freedom and responsibility go hand in hand. Parents have got to step up to the plate and raise there kids to have values, the school system is not going to do it for them.

But it sure can hinder us Parents from doing it.

"Did you hear about the drug-free ADD treatment? It's called "Shut up, sit down, do your homework"... Or get your butt worn out...

Graduated H.S. in Indio CA in '87. When in middle school we shot rabbits and dove in the vast tracts of vacant desert that are now golf courses. Sherrifs deputies would tell us the best places! We were POACHING! In High School there were several designated smoking areas where you could bum a smoke from a teacher or they from you! I even gave my English teacher Skoal Bandits for his birthday, and he was a hunting buddy of my friends. Yeah, things have changed, but quickly too because I'm only 38 and by the time I was 25 those days were over.