Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switch-top multi-caliber single stack?

Revopop

I've run across a really good deal on a single stack gun built on a Caspian race ready frame. It's basically exactly the gun I would like to have built for Single-Stack division for half the price(it even has exactly the sights I would want :rolleyes:), except for one small and one big problem. The small problem is an arched mainspring housing. I can change that in about five minutes. The other problem is that it's a .38 Super. I have never shot a .38 Super, I understand it's pretty neat, but I'm not set up to handload for it yet and I'd rather shoot the .45ACP major load that I'm already shooting in L10. That being said, depending on the cost of having a 2nd .45 top end built, I'd have a perfect gun in 2 calibers for less than what I would have spent on my from-the-ground-up .45.

How much would this reasonably cost? I'd probably have the work done locally by a gunsmith who works for a bit less than the big names, and I know how much a Caspian slide and a good barrel would cost, but how about all the other things I'm not aware of? Can anybody ballpark the cost of this for me?

Sure it can be done. Here is why it could be a pain in the butt.... :blink: ...You will have to have a different ejector which is pinned on the frame for .45, and then the other for the Super. If the Super has a ramped barrel, then you will have to have a smith install the ramped barrel as well, and unless the smith knows what they are doing, a ramped .45 can be a pain for feeding.

Yes, it can certainly be done. I had a switch top STI for 38 super and .40, just pop the slide stop and switch top ends, and ready to go, but they share the same ejector........

If the gun is a steal, grab it. If it runs 110%, leave it alone and wait to build the .45 the way you want it!

My .02$...... ;) <insert been there done that hopefully smarter now icon here....>

Regards,

DougC

Sure it can be done. Here is why it could be a pain in the butt.... :blink: ...You will have to have a different ejector which is pinned on the frame for .45, and then the other for the Super.

I have a SS STI frame with a 9mm top end and a .40SW top end. Although it seems to be folk wisdom that the two calibers need different ejectors (and slide stops), mine works perfectly with no changes at all to the bottom end. I just drop the other slide/barrel top on it and shoot (does require different magazines).

My .40 top end was built up by Bob Hunter at Hunter Customs. You might get a quote from him, he did a good job on mine.

Sure it can be done. Here is why it could be a pain in the butt.... :blink: ...You will have to have a different ejector which is pinned on the frame for .45, and then the other for the Super.

I have a SS STI frame with a 9mm top end and a .40SW top end. Although it seems to be folk wisdom that the two calibers need different ejectors (and slide stops), mine works perfectly with no changes at all to the bottom end. I just drop the other slide/barrel top on it and shoot (does require different magazines).

My .40 top end was built up by Bob Hunter at Hunter Customs. You might get a quote from him, he did a good job on mine.

I have been told that a 38-9-40 can all use the same ejector but you need to change for .45. YMMV.

Later,

Chuck

:rolleyes:

You should probably do what Doug C says.

Ejector`s are a big safety factor a 9,38,40 ejector set up that is long can set the primer off on a 45 round,

I did a gun last Year that this happened; it royaly screwed up the gun, and the shooter had a very

tense milisecond as he held onto it ,just burned and scratched him and messed up his shooting glasses

very easily could have hit him in the throat and killed him. VERY dangerous to do this!!!

If the gun has a ramped 38 super which it should putting a ramped 45 barrel in is not that difficult

if ya know whats up.

Gotta think about what we do with these guns>doing outa the norm just isnt worth it, say you had your

daughter or son watch you and ya set off a 45 round like I mentioned above there little eyes arent

worth farting around with some off the wall set up :wacko: et up!!

Jim

Sailors

Which ejector are you leaving in, the 9 or the 40?

Which ejector are you leaving in, the 9 or the 40?

It started life as a 9mm Trojan, so all of the frame is stock 9mm stuff (ejector and slide stop). The .40 top was added later.

It may be true that the 9mm ejector tip is too close to the .45 primer for comfort. It never occurred to me that the primers would be different diameter.