Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

weight difference - bull vs bushing barrel

tk4

there are variations between manufacturers and between calibers.

I know Schuemann can make a barrel a bit heavier or lighter for a bull depending on what you want. Long story basically he has several different tapers for each barrel length depending on how you want it to lock up and what length slide.

I know Schuemann can make a barrel a bit heavier or lighter for a bull depending on what you want. Long story basically he has several different tapers for each barrel length depending on how you want it to lock up and what length slide.

Ok, I should have been more specific. 5" 40cal.

Don't forget the weight of the bushing. Some weight difference between regular spring plug, and reverse plug, assuming you use the same guide rod.

The bushing and the plug ride with the slide. I am concerned about the non-reciprocating mass. The barrel only.

About an ounce, that number is good enough for conversational purposes.

Yup ! Good enough for conversational purposes ...

Now, where IS the conversation (thread) headed into ??? The merits of one Vs. the other ??? It's one BETTER than the other ???

Well, let's see. The bushing barrel was here first as initially manufacturedby Colt after the patent thing was arranged. It is my undestanding that Browning designed/built both bushing'd and un-bushing'd guns before and after this specific item. So he believed in both. His last design (not completely finished by him) was that of the first "double stack" pistol, known as the High Power. The High Power does not sport a bshing either. Of course, I don't believe Browning built any of them with a "bull" barrel. Or maybe he did? I really don't know if he did. But he did design "bushing-less".

So ... when did the first "bull" barrell in a 1911 make its debut ??? And ... even more to the point: why ??? Just like the first "ramped" barrels, these were meant to be improvements over the initial design. They were also perceived as "advantages" over the previous bushing'd and un-ramped barrels.

Now, some shooters are re-visiting the subject and wondering if indeed these are or are not advantages ??? Then I wonder also why is it that in the "new" Single Stack Division, bull barrels, are not allowed ??? Hell, they are even installing a "weight" restriction. Maybe they should call it the "Nostalgia Division" and allow only "W.W. II -G.I." clones. These are definetely not the Single Stacks we knew of when we started IPSC. But I am drifting from the thread at hand ... Sorry.

Is there a "coup d'etat" being planned to overthrow the bull barrels ??? (LMAO !!!!) :lol::devil:

Hey, don't ask me ... I like them both, but I will lean towards the bull barrel for many reasons, if I am given the choice. Maybe y'all can enumerate the pros and cons, and y'all be right too. But ... I have my druthers ... How 'bout y'all ???

So, is "one ounce" that significant ?? :devil:

The bull in my edge weighs about 5.5 ounces. How heavy can Schuemann get a 5" 40 cal bull barrel? I'm wanting more non-reciprocating weight for a standard frame 2011. I already have the tungsten guide rod.

I will lean towards the bull barrel for many reasons, if I am given the choice
I thought, damn what an edge over the others.

C'mon guys! I come here to get edumacated ... at least spill a few thoughts on, for instance, relative ease of fitting, weight balance, achieving a good lock-up, etc., etc. At least one inquiring mind wants to know!

Thanks

/Bryan