Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI EAGLE 5.0(.40 S&W) For IDPA ESP & USPSA Limited

Paul Burtchell

I've loaded thousands of rounds of precision rifle ammo but never loaded a single handgun round. I'm going to buy a Dillon 650 here soon and plan to start loading my own ammo. I might PM you at that time for some load data if you don't mind.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Great Thread!

Glad I'm not alone thinking about which IDPA & USPSA pistol to get. Living in Calif. I have less choises than the rest of y'all.

I'm buying a Bar-Sto Precision .40, then sending it in to have the barrel bushed and the dust cover cut by Irv Stone. I had 5 different makes of pistols and it screwed with my grip each time I changed guns, I'm not very good so I need all the help I can get. One pistol should help me improve in both IDPA and IPSC games.

Great Thread, thanks.

Ron

Great Thread!

Glad I'm not alone thinking about which IDPA & USPSA pistol to get. Living in Calif. I have less choises than the rest of y'all.

I'm buying a Bar-Sto Precision .40, then sending it in to have the barrel bushed and the dust cover cut by Irv Stone. I had 5 different makes of pistols and it screwed with my grip each time I changed guns, I'm not very good so I need all the help I can get. One pistol should help me improve in both IDPA and IPSC games.

Great Thread, thanks.

Ron

Ron, if you have a chance take a look on the Gallery section of the Forum (STI Makeover). I've got a picture of my "cross competitor"gun there.

The bull barrel setup really calmed down the major loads for USPSA and I switch to the bushing barrel setup for IDPA with lighter loads. Switch barrels, magwells and take off the extended mag release paddle and I'm good for IDPA.

I think you will really like the decision you made. :cheers:

Let's see some photos when you get it.

Edited by baerburtchell

I may have said it in this post, can't remember, but I will say it again. I'm not sure why everybody wants to change this and that on their eagles for the 2 divisions. If your just starting out I say get a eagle in .40, FO sight, SVI steel magwell, load to major pf, get 2 belt setups and run the snot out of it. I think it just gets to complicated for the newer shooters to switch back and forth between major and minor pf sometimes and adding this and that. I say get great with one gun setup one way and smoke the competition with it every weekend. After you have shot the snot out of it you may or may not want to build a gun for USPSA that has all the bells and whistles or just keep trucking a long.

my .02

It is the setup I have and I do not think it is limiting me. I am not a GM, but I sure like shooting it in both sports.

Would I be handicapping myself any by using the Eagle platform with the bushing setup in lieu of the Edge in order to have a gun that I could shoot in Limited and IDPA ESP? I would like to have one gun for both sports.

Good choice???

I have a bull barrel that I can swap out, I also have a magwell I can put on. I really don't see a difference so I just leave in the bushing barrel. If I ever get to the point that it is holding me back I will switch. Same goes for my Blade Tech holster.

I run an edge with a tungsten guide rod, I prefer the weight. I am debating trying it without the tungsten during the winter. It sounds like a lot of people prefer the lighter guns for limited. It seems like it would be a good choice, since it is legal in idpa also. You can always get a second bull barrel for the slide, if you decide later that you want a little more weight out front, or if you could find a tungsten sleeved barrel you would probably have all the weight you would want.

If you get it, I would definetly get a tungsten guide rod for when you shoot uspsa.

It seems like uspsa trys to create divisions for idpa shooters, but idpa creates rules to keep uspsa shooters and their guns out.

Go with the .40 Eagle. You can download for IDPA if you want to, but again until it is costing you match wins why bother? I shoot 175 PF for both.

Paul, the tungsten guide rod mentioned in the thread is illegal in IDPA and the huge magwell is a joke. The opening in the butt of the Eagle for the double stack magazine is big enough.

Bubba has an Eagle with both a bushing barrel and a bull barrel set up on the same gun. True it's in 9mm, but if you ask him nicely he may let you try it out. That might be something you'd want to look at too.

Using the same gun for both Limited and ESP is a good idea as Merlin noted, but... The lighter nose of the bushing barrel gun may not handicap you too much in Limited, but the caliber will in ESP. You'll have to load 40 major in Limited (minor is a huge handicap) and 40 minor for ESP. While a lot of people use factory 9mm in ESP, many are loading to just over the power factor floor. So in effect, you'll be shooting two different guns no matter how you look at it.

Hmm. A 9mm Eagle for IDPA may be about the ultimate. I could always just use my GLOCK 24 for USPSA Limited.

Dang, no easy answer is there?

I like the idea of one gun that does it all.

I wonder what would be more difficult changing gun platforms from 2011 to glock or adjusting timing from major IPSC to IDPA PF 135?

Paul

Decisions, decisions? Here is another approach. Shoot Single Stack USPSA and ESP IDPA with a good old single stack .45 1911. You want soft - try a 200 gr SWC at 675 fps. If you use 9 round mags for ESP you start with 10 in the gun.