Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Check Your Clays Powder

Gregg K

I posted this in the reloading section but since so many folks use Clays powder in their revolvers I wanted to let you know that I got a batch of Clays powder that appears to have IMR Trail Boss mixed in it. I have never owned any Trail Boss and this is how it came out of the can. What looks like Trail Boss is the little donut flakes mixed in with the Clays.

TB_Clays.jpg

Edited by Gregg K

Uhhh... I have been working off of this 8lb jug of clays for about 2k rounds and it's worked fine. Upon looking closely, I DO HAVE little donut type flakes as you've shown in your picture.

What should I do about this? If anything?. I've loaded 230gr lead and jacketed bullets with it in 45acp using 3.5-4.0grs. No pressure signs and it chrony's the same as always.

Gary J.

What should I do about this? If anything?. I've loaded 230gr lead and jacketed bullets with it in 45acp using 3.5-4.0grs. No pressure signs and it chrony's the same as always.

Gary J.

I don't think that it's dangerous since Trail Boss is not a very high powder powder. It was made to be fluffy and fill up the cases for the light cowboy loads plus just a flake here and there shouldn't really make any difference. I sent an inquiry to Hodgdon with the picture to see what they say. I'll report back if I get a response from them.

Edited by Gregg K

It's always possible that it's just an identifier that they put in the powder kind of like the blue flakes in "Blue Dot" and the red flakes in "Red Dot". Well see what Hodgdon says. I just never noticed them but have never used much clays.

I noticed them in my clays a week or so ago..but like other posts, all seems ok..I thought I had just never looked that close before, and did not think anything of it..I am interested to hear what Hodgdon has to say,if they respond..

The 8bl container I have is five years old I poured some out to make Sher. But the powder Looks exactly like the photo Gregg did less the lighting tint, my powder is a lite gray

Added When you load a shot shell you end up with 18 + grains in the shell and when it gets spilled you -See allot of powder-

Edited by AlamoShooter

The 8bl container I have is five years old I poured some out to make Sher. But the powder Looks exactly like the photo Gregg did less the lighting tint, my powder is a lite gray

That picture is shot through the plastic of the powder measure that as a little tint to it. It's a brand new measure. If I had been using my old measure I may have never seen the markers as dark as it has got. :lol:

It's funny that as many times as I have weighed loads with this Clays I have not seen the markers before, must be getting old and blind. :o

I noticed it several months ago as I was getting ready to go the the Iowa B2B. I checked a new unopened container of clays and they were in it as well so I thought it was normal, and I think it its.

Checked an 8lb keg I've been using for 12ga for about the last 6 months and it looks like the photo.

Checked a 4lb jug that's been around about a year for handgun loads and it looks like the photo.

Checked the jar (at 9oz per container you can't call it 'the pound') of Trail Boss and the Trail Boss flakes are larger diameter and have a larger donut hole than the suspect Clays flakes.

I'm calling it normal.

I have noticed the same trail boss flakes in my clays for the past 15years. I have never really payed much attention to until I purchased some Trail boss for the colt and then I realized what it was but still didn't bother worrying about it.

I have noticed the same trail boss flakes in my clays for the past 15years. I have never really payed much attention to until I purchased some Trail boss for the colt and then I realized what it was but still didn't bother worrying about it.

Trail Boss has not been arround for 15 years so I would call it normal. Trail Boss comes from Aus. and only has been imported for just a few years.

I would suspect that the "doughtnuts" in question are either inert identifiers like the flakes in Green, Blue, Red Dot or burn retarders of some kind. I suspect the former.

Ya I suppose your right 700x had something like that as well. I was just saying it is Identical flakes when compared. I thought I had accidentally mixed the hoppers one night when I spilled some powder from a case. I then remembered it had them flakes in it.

[.

Trail Boss has not been arround for 15 years so I would call it normal. Trail Boss comes from Aus. and only has been imported for just a few years.

Clays comes from Australia as well. The little doughnuts are a secret Aussie additive to reduce flash. Its made from Koala, Wombat and Dingo droppings.

Peter Dawson