Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 S&W loads

breid

I am shooting a G22 with a Barsto barrell. 5.2gr of Titegroup behind a 160 makes a 170 PF with no real signs of pressure. Might have to bump it up a little for a 155.

Remember start low and slowly work your way up while watching for signs of pressure.

Use at your own risk

Edited by ofcrfs242

I am new to ipsc and am wondering what is a good load to make major with the 40 S&W with 155 grain loads. Oh I will be shooting a Glock 22.

In a G22 5.6 or so of TG for 170PF. This is a SNAPPY load. I would suggest you use 180 grain bullets for a much nicer load....

• 1 month later...
I am new to ipsc and am wondering what is a good load to make major with the 40 S&W with 155 grain loads. Oh I will be shooting a Glock 22.

In a G22 5.6 or so of TG for 170PF. This is a SNAPPY load. I would suggest you use 180 grain bullets for a much nicer load....

I agree with Merlin, 5.6 of Titegroup would be pretty powerful stuff. I use 180 grain lead bullets with 4.0 grain of Titegroup, but I'm not sure if it makes major because I shoot production.

The, ( won't say old :devil: ) Sage speaks

I agree with Merlin, 5.6 of Titegroup would be pretty powerful stuff. I use 180 grain lead bullets with 4.0 grain of Titegroup, but I'm not sure if it makes major because I shoot production.

It does not make major, but most likely a great production load

Pretty much everyone shooting .40 major is using a heavier bullet in the 175-200gr range....much, much softer shooting than lighter bullets which get really snappy when you push them fast enough to make major. A great starting point is a good 180gr bullet and VV N-320 or Titegroup.

As an aside, what division are you planning on shooting? A G22 is going to be at a disadvantage in every division but Production, where major doesn't apply. Limited-10 would be doable with a magwell, sights and some trigger work. I only say that because there's no need to put yourself in the hole before you start....sometimes people will say "oh I'm not doing this to be competitive" but that frequently goes away after about one match ;)

A G22 is going to be at a disadvantage in every division but Production, where major doesn't apply. Limited-10 would be doable with a magwell, sights and some trigger work.

Why not Limited? I've shot a G22 for a couple years and can't say that the equipment is holding me back (my skill, or the lack thereof, is another thing :rolleyes: ). I've got a Dawson magwell, sights, and basepads on my mags.

I found that 200 gr. bullets felt the softest out of the short barrel. I've got a G24 now and I've been using 180 gr. bullets out of the longer barrel. I've been using Universal Clays or Power Pistol myself. I didn't like Titegroup and I thought N320 was too fast to try and push major with heavy bullets out of the shorter G22 barrel, especially if you're using the factory barrel. I might mess with it some in the G24 eventually, since it's easier to make major with that extra barrel length.

A G22 is going to be at a disadvantage in every division but Production, where major doesn't apply. Limited-10 would be doable with a magwell, sights and some trigger work.

Why not Limited? I've shot a G22 for a couple years and can't say that the equipment is holding me back (my skill, or the lack thereof, is another thing :rolleyes: ). I've got a Dawson magwell, sights, and basepads on my mags.

I found that 200 gr. bullets felt the softest out of the short barrel. I've got a G24 now and I've been using 180 gr. bullets out of the longer barrel. I've been using Universal Clays or Power Pistol myself. I didn't like Titegroup and I thought N320 was too fast to try and push major with heavy bullets out of the shorter G22 barrel, especially if you're using the factory barrel. I might mess with it some in the G24 eventually, since it's easier to make major with that extra barrel length.

You're probably right in the grand scheme of things. The biggest drawback to the G22 would be the shorter sight radius. With the popular trend towards 6" guns in Limited that might even be more of a factor than it used to be. I shoot a G22 a fair amount (have two) and even if I were to add a magwell, good sights, a trigger kit and get the mags to 20 rounds there's no way I could shoot one nearly as well as something like an S_I, but that's me. Depending on how far you take it, I don't recall seeing any/many top shooters using a G22....a G35 is another story entirely, so it's not a Glock thing. I don't think you'd ever see a top shooter using a 4.5" S_I either...too short of a sight radius and probably more muzzle flip.

You're probably right in the grand scheme of things. The biggest drawback to the G22 would be the shorter sight radius. With the popular trend towards 6" guns in Limited that might even be more of a factor than it used to be. I shoot a G22 a fair amount (have two) and even if I were to add a magwell, good sights, a trigger kit and get the mags to 20 rounds there's no way I could shoot one nearly as well as something like an S_I, but that's me. Depending on how far you take it, I don't recall seeing any/many top shooters using a G22....a G35 is another story entirely, so it's not a Glock thing.

The G22 was my entry into Limited. I got one because it was $335 (factory refurb), so it was a cheap way to try limited division. I was shooting a 1911 in L-10 previously. One thing that I found interesting is that the sight radius on the G22 is the same as my 1911! Also, I found that shooting 200gr. bullets with a semi-fast powder (UC) felt similar in recoil to my .45 that I was used to. So, it worked out for me. Someone let me borrow a nice S_I Edge style blaster for a match once and while it had a much higher cool factor and nicer trigger, I don't think it helped my match really. With some practice with that gun...maybe? I'm not sure I want to spend $3000 to find out. I have since gone to the G24 (another good used deal) for the extra sight radius. In most aspects of the game, it hasn't mattered that much. On long shots though, like the 50 yard standards at TX State Limited last year, it is sweet! I don't think you see many G22s out there mainly because the G35 exists. For a little more cash, you get a little longer sight radius. I only went G22 initially because it was a helluva deal and I'm cheap! ;)

Sorry for the thread drift! The point being is that if a G22 is what you've got to play with, stoke it up with some 200gr. bullets and Universal Clays and go have some fun! I for one do not believe that gun will hold you back!

Edited by AustinMike

One thing that I found interesting is that the sight radius on the G22 is the same as my 1911!

I don't think you see many G22s out there mainly because the G35 exists.

You must have a really long G22 or a really short 1911 ;) I just put my Trojan next to my issue G22 and the sight radius on the Trojan is roughly 3/8" longer...didn't have time to measure carefully.

Even before the G35 was in production I wasn't seeing hardly any G22s being used in Limited....there might be more reasons for that, but it is interesting.

Certainly having someone come out and shoot, regardless of division, is positive so your advice to run what you've got and come out and play is on the mark :cheers: Sometimes it seems that newer shooters get sucked into "I have to shoot this or that division to be cool" rather than take the time to find out where they'll have the most fun and have the best results...only reason I mentioned Production...cheaper and easier to get started out, which helps retain them. R,

Certainly having someone come out and shoot, regardless of division, is positive so your advice to run what you've got and come out and play is on the mark :cheers: Sometimes it seems that newer shooters get sucked into "I have to shoot this or that division to be cool" rather than take the time to find out where they'll have the most fun and have the best results...only reason I mentioned Production...cheaper and easier to get started out, which helps retain them. R,

Run what you've got is really great advice. I originally bought a refurbished G22 for home defense and general plinking, but got into USPSA by chance. I was searching online for a local range and found someone looking for people interested in practicing and going to practical shooting matches. I was hooked after shooting my first 200 rounds, and began to learn more about the sport. After a year, I still shoot with my G22 and always have a great time doing it. A $3000 gun would be nice, but I think a new shooter would be better off putting his/her money into a reloading press, components, mags, belt, etc...

I would shoot the Limited Nationals with a G22...without fear of being under-gunned.

I would NOT choose to shoot with 155's. 180's are a better choice. Shoot the 155's if you got them, but look to buy 180's next time. (If I had a fairly stock gun, I might load the 155's to minor power factor and shoot in Production division.)

Kyle F. - Limited Grand Master...with a Glock :)

Yeah...I suppose.

You are pretty much damned for making equipment arguments once you make GM...everybody just says "oh...your a GM and I'm a mortal so your ideas don't apply". sigh. :huh:

I know....just teasin' ya a little :devil: You can take comfort in knowing that the reverse is also true...who are you? You're not a GM, oh well you don't know what you're talking about...catch-22.

I certainly don't want anyone thinking I'm bashing the G22. I bought my first G22 years ago to use it as a Limited gun (before the G35 existed). I quickly learned that it was reliable and accurate enough, but I simply can't shoot any Glock as well as I can a 1911/2011. I guess my Dad ruined me forever when he bought me my first 1911 24 years ago (still have it)!

You can take comfort in knowing that the reverse is also true...who are you? You're not a GM, oh well you don't know what you're talking about...catch-22.

It's almost as if guys don't want advice...unless it's what they want to hear. :):)