Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para Questions

Gdaym8

I purchased a Para PXT 1911 SSP, gun rights model, and have a few minor issues. I have discovered that the nickle finish on the slide stop, thumb safey, and grip safety are changing colors. This is a carry gun, and from contact with body oils changes the color on the nickle finish.

Since I need to replace the grip and thumb safeties I am soliciting advice. What do the smiths recommend. I was thinking STI grip safety and a wide ambi thumb safety. After it is all said and done, I am sending it out to be refinished.

The gun was a steal, is accurate (for government work) and it runs well.

BTW - Talked to PARA about the finish, they won't warranty.

to each his own, STI, Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, Caspian and EGW all make quality parts and I may have left a couple out. Look for the style you like. If your getting it refinished why replace the grip safety unless your going for different style. same thing with safety.. My Para wide body is wearing a Wilson wide but not ambi thumb safety and a Wilson Grip safety, but the stock GI style one is going back on.

The original grip safety is definatley not up to par. The shape is a little off for my hand, does not sit flush along the backstrap when fully depressed, and it does not bring my hand up as high as I like. Para only carries this part in a nickle finish and the current shape. The reason for refinishing was fitting a new grip safety, and I want to put front serrations on the slide.

Dig around on the websight you'll find lots of info on finish options. The grip safety is gonna be a personal preference thing. You'll have to dig through some pictures to find what you want. Might find a refinisher that also does that type of work that way you can get it all done together and just describe what you want to the smith who is doing the front serrations and finish work. Let him worry about the brand. As most likely he's done enough to know which one will fit the way you want.

i think the paras use a caspian/wilson type grip safety. in order to get your hand up higher than that its present configuration you'll need an Ed Brown type grip safety. But be aware that the Ed Brown requires removing metal from the rear of the frame to make it fit = removing metal allows your hand to be higher. should you decide to go this route you could first buy the grip safety, then see how it fits and then decide if you want to tackle the job yourself or leave it to a gunsmith.

you might be able to find other shooters with the Ed Brown type grip safety and see/feel what the difference is before you buy.

its not a huge difference in how much higher the hand holds the gun - maybe 1/8 inch at best, but I and many other prefer it and feels its worth the effort. not everyone thinks so. i prefer the Ed Brown and have put them on my Paras and Single Stacks.

good luck and happy shooting