Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My gun hates Georgia Arms Ammo...but why?

Truegent2004

Today at a 3 gun match I tried Georgia Arms ammo (223 55gr FMJ) in my DPMS rifle (20 inch DCM barrell) for the first time. The ammo seems to fire fine but when I need to extract a round with the charge handle it gets stuck very tight in the barrell. I'm forced to put the butt end against the ground and yank the charge handle really hard....then the unfired brass and and splash of powder granules comes flying out of the chamber breach(Powder ending up in my mouth :sick: ). The actual round is stuck in the barrell and has to be squib roded out. This happend more than once. I'm guess the bullet is chambering in the rifling. I calipered some samples and the OAL was in the 2.230-2.233 range. I don't know if this is normal. Also why can the gun action extract each fired round but I cant do it manually?

Bullet is actually is stuck into the in the rifling and hard to remove. A lot of rifles do this - especially ones set up for accuracy. Have the barrel set up with a little freebore so the rifling starts further into the barrel.

.02 from the Holiday Inn visitor. :)

Your barrel has a match chamber and is a little short on freebore. Its probaly a very accurate set up but just needs a little chamber work to make it reliable with all ammo. A gunsmith with a reamer can fix it quick.--------------Larry

The bullet is definately seating into the rifling. It almost sounds like the chamber was cut with no lead. Some manufacturers cut the chamber and throat separately. The length of the ammo should not be a problem with a regular chamber. DPMS normally uses a Wylde chamber, which is longer than a SAMII chamber. My rifle uses a SAMII chamber, my ammo is loaded to 2.250-2.255 with no problems.

Call DPMS and explain the situation.

Looks like everything will work out. I have a friend whose AR works great with GA ammo and he can take it off of my hands. I also found and ordered some Black Hills 223 55 gr. at www.midwayusa.com for $345 for 1000 rounds.

Hurry while supplies last :goof:

Edited by Truegent2004