Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are caliber conversion barrels allowed in USPSA Production?

condoor

In particular a .40 to 9mm conversion barrel for a Glock 23.

thx

c

Nope. They'd have the same outside diameter, but a smaller inside diameter....and be considered a bull barrel.

Here is the wording frommthe 2008 rulebook that will be coming out:

Authorized modifications (Strictly limited to these items and their stated guidelines)

After-market slides and barrels – provided they are the same length, contour, and caliber as original factory standard.

In particular a .40 to 9mm conversion barrel for a Glock 23.

thx

c

Nope. They'd have the same outside diameter, but a smaller inside diameter....and be considered a bull barrel.

Here is the wording frommthe 2008 rulebook that will be coming out:

Authorized modifications (Strictly limited to these items and their stated guidelines)

After-market slides and barrels – provided they are the same length, contour, and caliber as original factory standard.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to drag the topic back up but I got a Barsto barrel for my Sig 229 specifically for production. I had asked Vince Pinto and he wrote back.

Here is what he wrote.

Since the P229 is available in 9mm, 357SIG and 40SW from the factory, changing from one OFM barrel to another OFM barrel would be legal for IPSC Production Division, provided the barrel is not ported and does not exceed the maximum permitted length of 127mm (5").

DVC,

Vince Pinto

IPSC Secretary

Did I screw myself by getting a Barsto barrel instead of a factory Sig barrel?

Are you shooting matches in the USA? If so, you will be under USPSA rules, which are slightly different from the internationals (IPSC) rules in some cases. (Vince speak to IPSC rules.)

Is your Barsto barrel the same caliber as the factory original barrel?

Yes I am in the States, Nevada Specifically. I bought a 9mm barrel for my Sig which came as a 40. I was told that because that particular model was available in 9mm I would be good to go. The barrel profile is almost identical but I see in your earlier post that it would be considered a bull barrel?

If that is the case, it is kind of a bummer. Still makes for cheaper practice I guess.

I quoted the new USPSA rule book, above. Your going from 40 to 9 would be a caliber change. The way I read it, that is not allowed.

The foremost rule authority in the USA is John Amidon, Director of the National Range Officer Institute (DNROI) for USPSA. He is the one to address your questions to for rules calls in the USA. dnroi@uspsa.org