Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will 4 lb striker spring set off Wolf primer?

SA Friday

Yes, with no problems. The go boom.

I shot off about 100 of them after loading them in mixed brass; FC, Win, R-P, Star, and CCI. They all went off. Interestingly enough, the star brass made the primers flatten out a bit. I think the star brass had a smaller case capacity and that's what caused the flattening. It was never near danger levels though.

I shot them using my standard load: 147 gr Zero HP, 3.0 gr of TG, 1.13 OAL.

Accuracy was no different from my regular loads with win small pistol primers. I also shot them at 25 yds and all hits were in the A zone, equal to my regular loads. There was no difference in recoil. There was no difference in accurate splits. I had one high primer (damn it) and it did not light off, but a second trigger pull popped the round off.

After loading and firing them, I have to agree with Carlos. Wolf primers seem to be softer than the winchester primers. If they are soft enough for a revolver shooter, I couldn't say, but I can say for the price I will be using a hell of a lot more of them in the future. I will be testing them with other powders as I build a new load using Precision bullets.

I think we have a new primer choice to work with in lightly springed competition guns.

Thanks SA, I'll have to give them a try with my G-21. I guess the worse case being I would have to go back to the stock striker spring. I could get use to that easier than I can the constant price hikes on Fed primers, when I can find them.

Edited by dirty whiteboy

Wolf....primers...?

Sean, thank you for doing the intel! I know that there are many shooters out there that are struggling with finding primers in general. Based upon your findings, there is another alternative to biting the CCI bullet ;)

I shot the rest of the 300 rounds I loaded at the South Chester County (PA) match today. Not a single hick-up from them under match conditions. Now if I could shoot that reliably, I could start beating some of these M's. :blink:

Edited by SA Friday

G'day.

The 4lb striker spring has no problems with small rifle primers out of my G17 Major 9.

Winchester, CCI, Federal, PMC, Fiocchi small rifle primers all fire fine.

Hooroo.

Regards, Trevor.

OZ.

Edited by Ausglock

• 2 weeks later...

Used some Wolf Large Pistol primers today(about 10 rds). In a Glock 21 w/ 4 lb striker spring and xtra power return spring. No problems. Will try to get out tomorrow and shoot another 100 or so. Looks promising

Edited by dirty whiteboy

I think the ultimate test will be one of the revolver shooters with one of those uber-light striking trigger jobs to test these out. That will be a huge test of hardness. I have seen revolvers choke on WSP's because they are too hard, but the Feds just flame away in the same gun.

I think the ultimate test will be one of the revolver shooters with one of those uber-light striking trigger jobs to test these out. That will be a huge test of hardness. I have seen revolvers choke on WSP's because they are too hard, but the Feds just flame away in the same gun.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=56513

:mellow:

Shot about 175 rds today with the wolf primers. Had one light strike, probably a high primer, it fired the second try. I did not scrutnize the primers as much as I would before a match. I was in a bit of a hurry to get rds loaded and to the range. More testing will occur this week.

Edited by dirty whiteboy

Shot another 125 rds today. I had one light strike , it went off on the second try. I inspected the primers more closely this time, as I would for a match. 1 light stike is unacceptable for any match condition.That makes 300 rds tested with 2 light strikes. So I will either have to replace the striker spring to stock for the Wolf primers or just stay with the Federal.