Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are Blue Dot or TiteGroup Temperature Sensitive Powders?

blsexton

Can anyone tell me if BD or TG are temp sensitive (like W231 would be an example of a powder know for it's ability to change under the outside temps over a chrono). If so, how much 'extra' or over PF would a person need to load to account for changes in temps?

Both are very temp sensitive, BD being worse. Both get slower as temps drop, and BD gets hard to light around 0*. TG has shown 15 power factor swings for me in 40* temp changes. I won't use it because of that.

My current 9mm production load is 135pf avg. and it gets that across the country from florida to california, texas to missouri.

I've not fired it in colder than lower 40's temps, but I've shot it over 100 degrees and from 15 percent humidity to 90 percent humidity. It always makes PF, It has had a high of 138 and a low of 131. I would not be concerned at any match that I intend to shoot at.

The load is for a 147gr 9mm, with 3.7 gr Tgrp. My major PF .40 load has been as consistent as my production load. I do believe in being over 5 points above the threshold for the PF. Ex. 125 min, I would aim for over 130. 165 min. aim for over 170. If you decide to cut it closer, then you are flirting with disaster, no matter what powder you decide to use.

Trapr

I read recently,with great concern I might add, about how temp sensitive TiteGroup was. I have been using TG exclusively for about a year and have chrono'd virtually the same at all major matches, but with temp concerns I did a minor experiment the other day.

The temp was in the low 50's outside and most of the ammo was in an ammo can that was cold from being in the garage the night before. I also had ammo that I had put in my pocket so that it would be nice and warm. Results: Even though it was a small sampling the cold ammo was identical in performance if not actually a few fps faster. Inconclusive , I agree, but lessened my concerns at this time.

I have never used Blue Dot.... but I can tell you TiteGroup is VERY temp. sensitive.

A wheel gun load for my 625 that ALWAYS chronos in the 172- 174 range came in at 165.4 at a level 3 match (after all 6 rounds had been tested) and I obviously almost ended up minor.

The ammo had been left in the trunk of my car (in ana attached garage) over night and the temp. got down to 40 degrees. On an 85 degree day it's probably up to the high 170s.