Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock G35 question

Dogman

Hi all. I am planning on purchasing a G35 soon to use primarily as a range gun and use as the platform to start dabbling in some of the shooting sports. I have shot several different Glocks (as well as M&P's and XD's) bought I do not own one yet. I own several 1911's.

One of my friends works at the range I belong to and believes that the G35 would be a good choice because of the versatility it allows.

I plan on also purchasing a 9mm barrel & mags to allow for more economical shooting at the range.

The G35 just sounds like it is too versatile to not get (and I enjoy shooting it).

Is the gun really as versatile as it seems?

Would I be allowed to compete (potentially) with the 9mm conversion barrel in place (in the appropriate divisions of the various sports)?

I apologize if this is too broad (or naive :rolleyes: ) of a question but any opinions or advice is welcome!

Hi all. I am planning on purchasing a G35 soon to use primarily as a range gun and use as the platform to start dabbling in some of the shooting sports. I have shot several different Glocks (as well as M&P's and XD's) bought I do not own one yet. I own several 1911's.

One of my friends works at the range I belong to and believes that the G35 would be a good choice because of the versatility it allows.

I plan on also purchasing a 9mm barrel & mags to allow for more economical shooting at the range.

The G35 just sounds like it is too versatile to not get (and I enjoy shooting it).

Is the gun really as versatile as it seems?

Would I be allowed to compete (potentially) with the 9mm conversion barrel in place (in the appropriate divisions of the various sports)?

I apologize if this is too broad (or naive :rolleyes: ) of a question but any opinions or advice is welcome!

I think that the G35 is a great gun to start competitive shooting. With a couple of Arredondo mag extentions (see dealers forum) and a trigger job, you can be competitive in Limited with a gun that is simple to use and always runs. With the same gun you can also shoot IDPA SSP if you want. Read all of the Glock posts by Flexmoney.

Changing the barrel makes the gun illegal to use in Production division, but you could still shoot it in Limited or Limited 10 divisions with a 9mm conv. barrel, you just wouldn't earn as many points because of the minor scoring that 9mm gets. So it would be better left as a .40 in those divisions to take advantage of the MAJOR scoring that .40 & .45 gets. You can however shoot the gun as is in Production (.40) but unless you are reloading your own ammo you may end up shooting factory ammo that is waaay above the minimum power factor (which is 125) with factory 40.

But if shooting cheap 9mm appeals to you more so than shooting .40 then get a 9mm gun to start with (Glock 34). But if you want to be able to shoot other divisions competitively then stick with the G35.

Changing the barrel makes the gun illegal to use in Production division, but you could still shoot it in Limited or Limited 10 divisions with a 9mm conv. barrel, you just wouldn't earn as many points because of the minor scoring that 9mm gets. So it would be better left as a .40 in those divisions to take advantage of the MAJOR scoring that .40 & .45 gets. You can however shoot the gun as is in Production (.40) but unless you are reloading your own ammo you may end up shooting factory ammo that is waaay above the minimum power factor (which is 125) with factory 40.

But if shooting cheap 9mm appeals to you more so than shooting .40 then get a 9mm gun to start with (Glock 34). But if you want to be able to shoot other divisions competitively then stick with the G35.

I definitely considered going with G34, and haven't ruled it out, I just thought it was a little more practical to get the 35 route since the 9mm conversion is possible but not vice versa.

I don't reload my own ammo although that is something I'd really like to do some day (my wife is really against the idea for some reason <_< ).

If you want to shoot in this sport, reloading will help a ton. Hard to beat good live fire practice.

I've got a young man that works for me interested in shooting and I reccommended a g35 also for the versatility. I let him shoot mine Sunday and he did awesome. Welcome and have fun!

I think the G35 is probably the best all around choice for IDPA and USPSA.

You can shoot Production, Limited. Limited 10, ESP and SSP just depending on what loads you choose.

A downloaded .40 shoots softer than a 9mm to me.

Even if you are not going to reload if your not going thru tons of ammo the costs difference won't be that great.

With the 35 you will have the basic platform to take you as far as you want to go in these sports or just a fun gun at the range.

Also makes a darn fine home defense weapon.

It works great stock or you can definitely trick it out. It's all the gun you need. And no, I do not work for GLOCK :rolleyes:

My G35 has always made my hollies jolly!

I shot it for my first 2 years in Limited completely stock. The only things I've seen fit to change are the addition of grip tape and changing the sights. If my stock front sight hadn't popped off and disappeared, I'd probably still have it on there.

Edited by Glockopop

I would never choose a 40 if I weren't reloading ammo. I just don't have a big enough money tree.

(Heck, I reload and switched to 9mm...to save money on reloading.)

If you are going to get into shooting in any regular capacity, then ammo cost is going to be a factor (for most people).

GET A 9mm GLOCK! The money you save by buying 9mm ammo for a typical year of regular shooting will pay for the gun.

And, I am a die-hard G35 fan...having made Grand Master with one in Limited and Production divisions.

Just know that the 9mm Glocks will compete in USPSA's Production division and IDPA Stock Service Pistol divison...where you are limited to 10 rounds in the mags (+1 in the pipe) and you will be shooting in divisions where hitting the center of the target is of vital importance to your scores.

(Send me a message with your phone number and I'll talk you through it all, if you like.)

Hey - quick question

I've been shooting ever since i was young but never owned anything but a few revolvers until my dad bought me a glock 22 as a college graduation present. I'm thinking about getting involved in some competitive shooting. Should i work with the 22 and practice with that till i get better or should i look into selling it and getting the 35 now?

Thanks!

I don't see any need to sell the G22 to buy a G35. The only real difference between the two is a little bit of slide and barrel length and a minimum bit of weight.

- 25 cent trigger job

- good sights

- grip tape

That is all you need.

(again though...if the shooter isn't planning on reloading ammo, then the 9mm gets more atractive to the wallet)

I don't see any need to sell the G22 to buy a G35. The only real difference between the two is a little bit of slide and barrel length and a minimum bit of weight.

- 25 cent trigger job

- good sights

- grip tape

That is all you need.

(again though...if the shooter isn't planning on reloading ammo, then the 9mm gets more atractive to the wallet)

I've already put on Eric Wesselman's trugrip on it and love that stuff - i'm looking into new sights now and trying to figure that out because i really don't like the stock glock sights at all.

Stock sights are the worst. And there's so many choices. Their are Heinie / Dawson combos, Dawson F&R (which are my favorites), Sevigny/Warren sights (and the list continues). All are easily replaceable at home by any competent Glock enthusiast.

Then look for a better trigger and buy lots of ammo. Dont be afraid to spend $300 on factory ammo if you find it at a decent price. Us reloaders often times spend upwards of $300 + just ordering powder, primers, OR bullets. I dont mean all of the above .... I mean JUST powder ... or just primers .... etc. ;) Ammo is going to be your last and most important commodity. You will buy ammo now, and again & again ... many times a year if are a serious shooter so dont be afraid to be stingy in other areas, just to spend more $$$ on bullets. The more you shoot the better you will get.

I would never choose a 40 if I weren't reloading ammo. I just don't have a big enough money tree.

(Heck, I reload and switched to 9mm...to save money on reloading.)

If you are going to get into shooting in any regular capacity, then ammo cost is going to be a factor (for most people).

GET A 9mm GLOCK! The money you save by buying 9mm ammo for a typical year of regular shooting will pay for the gun.

And, I am a die-hard G35 fan...having made Grand Master with one in Limited and Production divisions.

Just know that the 9mm Glocks will compete in USPSA's Production division and IDPA Stock Service Pistol divison...where you are limited to 10 rounds in the mags (+1 in the pipe) and you will be shooting in divisions where hitting the center of the target is of vital importance to your scores.

(Send me a message with your phone number and I'll talk you through it all, if you like.)

+1 to everything Flex said, and I will even add that with the money I've saved by shooting 9mm in my G34 I was able to go out and buy myself a G35 too. So now I have both. Haven't really shot the G35 much, I just had to have it. I'm having too much fun shooting the G34 in Production Division.

-Cuz.