Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550-B powder funnel for each cal.?

JBeach

New to site, hope someone can help. Have just set up a used Dillon 550-B with supplied 357/38 spec and 45 ACP dies. I noticed that the sets of pistol dies have 3 dies. The rifle/pistol dies I have collected (22.250, 223, 270 and 44 mag.) have 2 dies. One of my main questions is do I need a specific powder funnel for each caliber? The supplied 45 and 357/38 spec have a funnel with them. I also know I need shellplates for the specific calibers. Some of the shellplates fit multiple calibers but in Brian's info pages it doesn't specify which shellplate fits a .270 Win. It's been over 30 years since I've reloaded metallic and I used to use a single stage press. This progressive press is nice but I need a few items to get rolling. Thanks in advance for bringing me up to speed.

JB=Jerry Beach

Yes powder funnels are caliber specific. Did you get a manual with this press? The manuals are online at the Dillon website and will list the funnels required for specific calibers, also the shellplates will be listed for each caliber. I'll bet you can call Dillon and get a printed manual also. Good Luck!

boz1911- Yes I got a t least a set up manual with it. I checked on the Dillon website but couldn't find out a whole lot of info on the powder funnel/dies. I'll have to look again with my fine tooth comb! Any idea on the number of shellplate for a .270 Win.? I think Brian might be getting some of my hard earned dukats for stuff for the 550-B

The back of the manual will list what parts (plate, buttons, funnel) are needed to setup the press for each caliber.

270 (or anything based on the 30-06 casehead) will use the same shellplate and buttons as the 45acp conversion. The powder funnels will be different.

Edited by 1911user

Thanks for all the comebacks! I'm slowly getting a handle on the set-up and items I still need. One thing I learned when I used to reload many years ago is not to get into a big hurry. I've waited this long I can wait a little longer.

Thanks again. I'll let you know how it all comes out, or until I think of another question.

JB=Jerry Beach